AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

AP.net Related News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Everything You Need To Not Miss (Week of June 16th)

Posted by - 02:06 PM on 06/21/14
This week was good and somewhat stressful around the website. Now that the weekend has arrived, I'm looking forward to a few days of relaxing, World Cup watching, and good beer. However, before that begins, I wanted to highlight some of the best stories, exclusives, and staff content from the past week. In general I'm not a big fan of too many "recaps" -- but one a week doesn't seem too crazy. I've broken the stories down into a few major categories below. If this looks horrible on the homepage, I'll need a moment to fix our CSS a little bit. It's a work in progress and any feedback is definitely welcome.

I think the highlight of my week on the website was the launching of the latest episode of the AbsolutePunk Podcast. Not only do I think the episode was one of our best yet, but reading a lot of the comments validated my thoughts that we have been increasing the level in audio quality and content these past four or so weeks. We've also got a new logo now, and it feels like we've really found what we are. Just wanted to take a quick moment to thank everyone that has rated and reviewed our podcast in iTunes, it really does help and we appreciate it so much. The listeners are obviously why we do this and your feedback and support means the world to us.

As for the more political topics of the week -- it was a roller coaster of emotions to read through the threads. For every "I can't believe someone would say this" post, there seemed to be others sharing their stories, recommendations, or giving words of hope. There were countless messages sent my way on Twitter, email, and via PM from readers who thanked the staff for drawing attention to an ugly part of our music scene. They thanked us because they said they learned a lot and have re-evaluated their own lives and the things they do that could contribute to someone else's pain. I wanted to also take a quick moment to thank Kelly, personally, for her article this week -- I know that couldn't have been easy to write and the backlash (and downright bullying) she saw on Twitter was absurd. I'll quote from my brief comments posted on my blog this week about why this is so important, and then get to the recap:
Itís becoming increasingly clear that this music scene is fucked if we donít shut up and listen. We are absolutely part of the problem and we need to see why and we need to stop trying to explain or argue away our flaws. We need to be open about them and ask for help in how we can do better and we need to see exactly how we are contributing to this toxic environment.

Guys, itís ok to say: I am part of the problem and I have a lot of work and learning to do Ö and then do the work. Itís the denial and continued propagation that there is no problem at all that is so god-damn detrimental. Spend more time reading, listening, learning, and less time talking Ö itís absolutely essential.

Recap Week of June 16th

Staff Content
Exclusives
Staff Reviews
User Reviews
Big News Stories

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6
04:04 PM on 06/21/14
texan4lif281
User Info.
I like this.
04:33 PM on 06/21/14
brook183
Leave the lunchmeat for the sharks
User Info.
I noticed the sound quality jump in the podcast as well. As I finished this newest episode, my iphone started playing episode 34 right in the middle where I had left off, and it was noticably less clear.
08:32 AM on 06/22/14
ViTOP
http://twitter.com/VitoPagano
User Info.
Jason... was there any specific reason you didn't incorporate the AP.net heart in the new pod cast logo??

I gotta admit .. I blew right by while browsing the podcasts in iTunes but to be fair I WAS looking for the red and black.

Any specific reason or it's just because?
09:34 AM on 06/22/14
luckisoverrated
So is breakfast food.
User Info.
I dig this recap :)
Also, the podcasts just get better and better. I really really enjoy them. Thanks for taking the time to put them together so well.
02:26 PM on 06/22/14
Kelly Doherty
@DylanintheMovie
User Info.
Thanks Jason! <3

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT