Password

Album Review

Young and Heartless - The Pull of Gravity Album Cover

Young and Heartless - The Pull of Gravity

Reviewed by
Young and Heartless - The Pull of Gravity
Release Date: June 24, 2014
Record Label: Mayfly
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
The Pull of Gravity is Young and Heartless’ third release in three years. You would think that after the first two they might be a bit spent, might release something a little bit less up-to-par than their previous material. But you’d be wrong, as The Pull of Gravity is better in every respect than their previous works.

It’s hard to imagine a song as massive as “Golightly” on either of their EPs (although the track wouldn’t sound bizarre on an alternative radio station), and I doubt the band could’ve pulled off a song as delicate as “Weather Die” anytime before now. These songs are both two perfect examples of the group honing their sound. Most of the songs on The Pull of Gravity follow “Weather Die”’s lead, soft and delicate songs. But many of them build up to sudden explosive finishes. As often as they employ this technique, it feels unexpected every time, necessary, urgent, and passionate.

Something many AP.net readers will pick up on is how close the vocals sound to those of everybody’s favorite vocalist Jesse Lacey. And it’s true; while not a perfect match, there’s an undeniable similarity between the two, which is, of course, a very good thing. And it fits, too, since it’s not a stretch to imagine Brand New performing songs like the downbeat “Virgin” or the dynamic “Lord-Well.” The lyrics aren’t quite up to that caliber yet, but by no means are they poorly written. Opener “Haunted” details a ruined childhood, the narrator “ride[s] my bike down to Duncan’s to get my dad some cigarettes/he says he needs them like his coffee/and his hopelessness/but I don’t believe him anymore.” Later on he hears his father yelling at his sister and “her packing her bags/I want to go with her but/I’m only fourteen years old.” The song ends on that line, providing us with no sense of closure or resolution at all. “Lord-Well” continues this trend, referencing riding his bike, this time to Allison’s, and then going “to school/ignored my friends/I held my hand for everything/it made me feel less stupid.” So while from a lyrical standpoint, The Pull of Gravity isn’t a positive record, it’s still a great record. And while it may not be happy, it’ll certainly make you happy.

Recommended if you like Brand New’s The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me; Sainthood Reps’ Headswell; Citizen’s Youth

8.75/10

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
02:30 PM on 06/23/14
Neogeo3do
User Info.
Can't wait for my LP to come in the mail. I was blown away by these guys when I saw them at the beginning of the month.
08:19 PM on 06/23/14
SurfWaxKyle
Manna is a hell of a drug.
User Info.
This album is really good. Golightly and Virgin...man.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos