AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
AP.net Related News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
AP.net Related
Inside AP.net

Festival Review: Pegasus Fest with Brand New and Circa...

Posted by: Caitlin DeWeese (06/23/14)
Pegasus Festival happened outside of Dallas, Texas this weekend. This is the first festival for Ghostlight Concerts, and they did a decent job.The big draw was Brand New but in true Brand-New-style, there were a lot of let down fans. Luckily, Circa Survive, Bad Books, PM Today, and Residual Kid were there to save the day. Hit the replies to read my full review of the festival.
Brand New took one hundred years to actually take the stage and opened with "Sowing Season," followed by a lot of Daisy and D&G.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 90
02:44 PM on 06/23/14
irthesteve
All that wander are not lost
User Info.
Well, yeah. Festival sets are shorter than headlining sets and the band has no new music since 2009, what else would you expect?
02:45 PM on 06/23/14
Caitlin DeWeese
@dontmesswithatx
User Info.
Pegasus FestivalI had the odd experience/ pleasure/ nostalgic adventure of attending the first inaugural Pegasus Festival outside of Dallas, Texas this weekend. This was more of a really big, long show than a festival as it was held at the SUPER nice, overly air conditioned Verizon Theater, and lasted approximately six and a half hours. Not exactly a festival, but also not bad for a first try.

Pegasus Fest was thrown by a few dudes from the local promotions company, Ghostlight Concerts and AEG Live, both of which are companies who know the DFW scene pretty well. These guys must have pulled some major strings to gather this line up together.

The day started early with the craft beer garden (hosting $13 beers…) and food trucks, and around 5 pm local band Feivel took the stage. Driving from Plano to Grand Prairie is no easy task, so I didn’t make it in time to catch the band. I heard they have more of an ambient/heavy/emo sound, but didn’t hear anyone mention them later in the evening. I have a feeling I wasn’t the only one who missed the opening act.

Austin locals, Residual Kid, followed Feivel, and to raucous approval. I became slightly obsessed with this band a couple years ago- mainly because they’re like 14 and shred harder than I ever could. The crowd ate up their cuteness at first, but quickly realized the kids have actual talent. If you see them on a line up in your city, GO.

I seriously want to know how the organizers were able to lock down PM Today. This band slept on the dorm floor of my at-the-time boyfriend back in 2008, and it was such a blast from the past to see them take the stage. The band ceased to be in 2011, but some how, SOME HOW, they were able to get their butts to Texas and play this stage. I was only familiar with their pre-label release, And Then The Hurricane but the crowd ate up every moment of their set, despite a little bit of shakiness on the band’s part- but Jesus, who can blame them?!

PM Today was followed by Thrice’s Dustin Kensrue, and Bad Books, headed by Kevin Devine and Andy Hull. Dustin, I quickly learned, is a Christian and reflects much of that in his songs, though his voice was killer as he strummed out a few of his own songs alone on stage with a guitar, and of course the crowd went nuts at the first few notes of the Thrice jams. Bad Books were a little underwhelming, but I don’t think seeing Kevin Devine and Andy Hull share a stage is a bad thing.

Circa Survive was, for some dumb reason, playing before Cold War Kids, but absolutely stole their thunder. Not that I’ve ever seen Anthony Green put on a bad show, but I was in awe of the way he handled that damn over-sized stage. I talked to some girls in the parking lot who had never listened to Circa Survive a day in their life and thought they played a better, more energetic set than headliners Brand New. I kind of hate to agree, but it was true.

Cold War Kids were up next, but who cares because Cold War Kids.

Brand New took one hundred years to actually take the stage and opened with "Sowing Season", followed by a lot of Daisy and D&G. To preface what I’m about to write, please consider the following:

1. Brand New has not played in Texas since 2009.
2. Brand New played a 19 song set in Dallas in 2009.
3. The 12 songs Brand New played on Saturday, were 12 of the same songs
they played in 2009.

That being said, people were not happy. I myself was spoiled on the set from Riot Fest Chicago last year, but still totally enjoyed the set Jesse and the dudes put on. People in the parking lot after the show were pretty damn livid- accusing Jesse of hating Texas and his fans here, and wishing they hadn’t come. I can definitely understand their displeasure, I’m more of a Weapon and DejŠ fan, too.

Pegasus Fest, good job, BUT…
1. Don’t book Brand New again
2. Don’t charge $13 for craft beer
3. Don’t have a festival in a fancy theater.
4. Promote more- so many people I talked to outside of DFW wished they’d heard about the fest sooner.
02:48 PM on 06/23/14
gabrielM
User Info.
At the end of the day they're artists who are playing music they want to and that they created. You came to see them, they didn't come to see you and take requests.

I will never understand ppl trying to dictate or disapprove of what a band plays. It's their show with their music catalog. If you don't like all of it and will be upset if they don't play a portion of it then don't go and let someone who truly enjoys them and live music go.

Tired of ppl being vocal about a band doing what they love and playing what they are comfortably playing. They are amazing performers anyway. Just enjoy the show and don't complain about their setlist which is comprised of songs they created and love.
02:48 PM on 06/23/14
risew/thefallen
i was a teenage anarchist.
User Info.
Dood people need to get off this doods ego and stop swelling it. They're still the undisputed kings of indie/underground music and they know it. Brand New will never be pre Devil & God ever again. The sooner people realize that the sooner they can enjoy their shows for what they are: a really really really giant ego boost for the band.
02:52 PM on 06/23/14
phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
User Info.
How is this person a staff member?
02:54 PM on 06/23/14
Caitlin DeWeese
@dontmesswithatx
User Info.
Wow did anyone read this?!!?

I LIKED the set and the show! Jesus Christ...
02:54 PM on 06/23/14
Caitlin DeWeese
@dontmesswithatx
User Info.
How is this person a staff member?
I have so many fans already!!
02:55 PM on 06/23/14
Steve_JustAGuy
www.justaguy.us
User Info.
1. Donít book Brand New again
2. Donít charge $13 for craft beer
3. Donít have a festival in a fancy theater.
4. Promote more- so many people I talked to outside of DFW wished theyíd heard about the fest sooner.
[/fs]

It'll be news when concerts don't overprice beer. Just curious, you said it was a nice theater, but then say don't have a festival in a fancy theater? Any reason in particular besides the venue being overly air conditioned?

And I notice you're new to the staff (or I haven't been paying close enough attention, entirely possible) so welcome!
02:56 PM on 06/23/14
Caitlin DeWeese
@dontmesswithatx
User Info.
It'll be news when concerts don't overprice beer. Just curious, you said it was a nice theater, but then say don't have a festival in a fancy theater? Any reason in particular besides the venue being overly air conditioned?

And I notice you're new to the staff (or I haven't been paying close enough attention, entirely possible) so welcome!
Concert beer is the worst beer, but I can never say no!

Festivals in theaters are just weird to me. It's not a very inviting atmosphere and everyone is separated by all the seating. Verizon Theater is VERY nice, I've seen bands there before, and the sound is wonderful- just not where I want to see bands like Circa and BN.

And thank you, this is my first post here. I write for POZ as well!
03:00 PM on 06/23/14
Caitlin DeWeese
@dontmesswithatx
User Info.
At the end of the day they're artists who are playing music they want to and that they created. You came to see them, they didn't come to see you and take requests.

I will never understand ppl trying to dictate or disapprove of what a band plays. It's their show with their music catalog. If you don't like all of it and will be upset if they don't play a portion of it then don't go and let someone who truly enjoys them and live music go.

Tired of ppl being vocal about a band doing what they love and playing what they are comfortably playing. They are amazing performers anyway. Just enjoy the show and don't complain about their setlist which is comprised of songs they created and love.
I agree. I found it very frustrating to talk to so many people who were upset.
I've been lucky to see them a few times outside of Texas, so it's hard to be upset about seeing a band you love, regardless.
03:01 PM on 06/23/14
Steve_JustAGuy
www.justaguy.us
User Info.
Concert beer is the worst beer, but I can never say no!

Festivals in theaters are just weird to me. It's not a very inviting atmosphere and everyone is separated by all the seating. Verizon Theater is VERY nice, I've seen bands there before, and the sound is wonderful- just not where I want to see bands like Circa and BN.

And thank you, this is my first post here. I write for POZ as well!
Very cool. Riot Fest only moved to Humboldt Park a couple of years ago after splitting bands between all sorts of venues. Hopefully, for Dallas, these guys can do the same.
03:03 PM on 06/23/14
about2days
jack tripper
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
and true to form, brand new fans complain about how brand new hates brand new fans
03:04 PM on 06/23/14
Jason Tate
User Info.
Had this submitted to us today:

At Brand New's show last night in Dallas, TX w/ Cold War Kids & Circa Survive, they announced they've been, "In the process of recording." And to expect to hear a new Brand New album in January 2015

Submitted by Thug_Nasty

Anyone at the Dallas show hear this or anything like it?
03:06 PM on 06/23/14
Caitlin DeWeese
@dontmesswithatx
User Info.
Had this submitted to us today:

At Brand New's show last night in Dallas, TX w/ Cold War Kids & Circa Survive, they announced they've been, "In the process of recording." And to expect to hear a new Brand New album in January 2015

Submitted by Thug_Nasty

Anyone at the Dallas show hear this or anything like it?
Personally didn't hear it. I was also a little (very) drunk at that point.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests