Password

Album Review

Wolves & Machines - Since Before Our Time Album Cover

Wolves & Machines - Since Before Our Time

Reviewed by
Wolves & Machines - Since Before Our Time
Release Date: March 5, 2014
Record Label: Unsigned
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
I know I suck, I know this is over three months late, I know and I’m sorry. Better late than never I guess? Since Before Our Time is an album that should be talked about, even if it’s being talked about 114 days late. Wolves & Machines’ sophomore album is everything an indie rock album should be.

Since Before Our Time begins with “Only Drowning Men,” a five-and-a-half minute lament to the innocence lost with age. About four minutes in, the song winds down and addresses the loss faith with age: “So now I’ll speak right to you in your lofty golden tower. If only drowning men can see you, must I watch them turn to sailors?” That song bleeds directly into “All Alarms,” which is good, but completely overshadowed by the song that follows. “Stay Separate” is heavier and darker than the opening couplet, but no less engrossing. Its monster of a chorus is bolstered between Brand New-esque verses and is one of the most memorable moments on the record. “Hazel”’s chorus is the only one that could rival it, being the catchiest. The pairing of the hard-hitting “Like Holding Breath” and the dynamic instrumental “Turn to Stone” is likely the best couplet on the record, and sets up the closing extremely well.

It’s the album’s absolute last track, “Many Happy Returns,” that proves that Wolves & Machines are capable of more than just loud rock anthems. It begins as a ballad, building up slightly as the chorus hits, then finally releasing with a shout of “I barely sleep anymore,” before toning back down. It all falls apart again following a chant of “I can’t keep your heart from stopping.” The band goes absolutely crazy in the last minute until all the instruments, save a single guitar, drop out at once. It’s a soft end to what is decidedly not a soft album, but for some reason it seems appropriate.

That said, it wouldn’t have hurt for the album to be a bit more diverse. While many of the songs did have slower or quieter parts, there wasn’t a single track that stayed that way the whole time – or even for half its runtime. But what the album gains from that is cohesion, which is helped particularly by each track flowing into the next without any type of break or silence. It’s ten tracks of melodic, yet occasionally aggressive, yet still catchy indie rock – a must-have for anyone who frequents this website, really.

Recommended If You LikeThe Juliana Theory’s Deadbeat Sweetheartbeat, As Cities Burn’s [i]Come Now, Sleep/i], Anberlin’s Cities

8.5/10

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 18
07:06 AM on 06/27/14
Quijiba
User Info.
very much digging this. Good rec!
10:57 AM on 06/27/14
ProjectXero
User Info.
Such a great album.
12:56 PM on 06/27/14
Gooddayz
The dirtiest clean, memory police
User Info.
Good review. Does anybody else feel like the intro from All Alarms could come straight out of Oceana's Clean Head EP?
02:33 PM on 06/27/14
Sanzen
Ricocheting
User Info.
Still my AOTY. Fucking love this album.

Good review. Does anybody else feel like the intro from All Alarms could come straight out of Oceana's Clean Head EP?

Definitely get this. Very rhythmic.
03:29 PM on 06/27/14
drummer13
verbthenounband.com
User Info.
This album has been blowing my mind for 114 days and counting. It's had some stiff competition but it'll probably win out as my AOTY. I sincerely beg anyone who hasn't heard it to give it a shot.
03:44 PM on 06/27/14
Griff
It's getting fucking dark.
User Info.
Glad to see this album (finally ) getting some attention-- Wolves & Machines are a band that I think a ton of this sites users would really appreciate, yet they seem to get overlooked. Their whole catalogue is so solid.
05:24 PM on 06/27/14
Vance Mook
Fastest Kid in School
User Info.
This sounds like something I'd like (and for some reason, I keep hoping it will sound like All Get Out or Manchester Orchestra haha). I'll definitely give it the ol' Spotify try. Nice review, Zac! Seems like you've been covering a lot of hidden gems lately.
06:16 PM on 06/27/14
tottivillarossi
these pretzels are makin me thirsty
User Info.
Glad to see this album (finally ) getting some attention-- Wolves & Machines are a band that I think a ton of this sites users would really appreciate, yet they seem to get overlooked. Their whole catalogue is so solid.
Definitely. "Ailments" is one of the most Brand New sounding records I've heard.

This album is great. Love it, and I love these guys.
07:45 PM on 06/27/14
swimmer9800
Tell me again its all in my head
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I'm listening to this on there BandCamp and its like one of the best things I've heard all year. Thanks for bringing this record to my attention. This record need FAR more peoples attention.
09:26 PM on 06/27/14
Zac Djamoos
fantasizing the sight of manhattan
User Info.
This sounds like something I'd like (and for some reason, I keep hoping it will sound like All Get Out or Manchester Orchestra haha). I'll definitely give it the ol' Spotify try. Nice review, Zac! Seems like you've been covering a lot of hidden gems lately.

Definitely a little MO/AGO/BN/KD influence in here. And thanks! Check back Monday for two more ;)

They only sent it to me earlier this month so fuck off! I kid I kid. Anyway, yeah, this band deserves to be bigger for sure. Super accessible, like able music.
09:44 PM on 06/27/14
ALT/MSC/FAN
Everything's Coming Up Milhouse
User Info.
I fucking love all of the Michigan local love I've seen in the reviews lately. Wolves & Machine's one of the best locals the state has to offer.
10:34 PM on 06/27/14
mikeyg003
@mikegiannotti95
User Info.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Nick Deiner from The Swellers produced this. Great, great album, though.
10:46 PM on 06/27/14
Sanzen
Ricocheting
User Info.
I'm listening to this on there BandCamp and its like one of the best things I've heard all year. Thanks for bringing this record to my attention. This record need FAR more peoples attention.
I know you weren't the one who said that AP fans would love this, but you're both right.

Brand New fans would love it, Thrice fans would love it, Balance and Composure fans would love it. Really hoping these guys take off at some point.
05:20 PM on 06/29/14
Austin Davis
god damn, this just feels right
User Info.
Definitely similar to "Woolgod."

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version