Password

Album Review

Everley - The Tyger and the Lamb Album Cover

Everley - The Tyger and the Lamb

Reviewed by
Everley - The Tyger and the Lamb
Release Date: June 10, 2014
Record Label: Unsigned
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
If the album title sounds familiar to you, it’s because “The Tyger” and “The Lamb” are a pair of companion poems written by William Blake from Songs of Innocence and of Experience. The collection was based, thematically, on the contrast between childlike innocence and adult corruption. Everley’s debut album is loosely based upon the same themes, drawing influence from Blake’s poetry and philosophy in the writing of the album.

Opener “Not Waving, but Drowning” (another English poetry allusion!) gives us our first taste of Everley’s brand of atmospheric post-hardcore. It also gives us our first taste of Tyler Dishman’s voice – he has a high, innocent sounding voice, not unlike The Graduate’s Corey Warning. This makes his rough, throaty scream sound shocking; it’s hard to believe these commanding shouts come from the same man. This track is a clear highlight on The Tyger and the Lamb, showing off all the facets of the band’s sound, from its heavy intro to its soft verses to its whispered bridge to its screamed conclusion. Single “The Cardinal” picks up right where “Not Waving” left off, heavier than the opener, but again with a hushed bridge.

From there the band’s experimental tendencies are only amplified. “Daggers of Self-Doubt,” even down to Dishman’s vocal performance, wouldn’t sound out of place on a Circa Survive record. “The Tyger” follows suit, a much more melodic song than its title would suggest (likewise, “The Lamb” is unrelenting). “Waif, the Youngling” finds a nice middle ground between heavy and atmospheric.

Since this review began with talk of the record’s themes, it only makes sense to revisit them now. Most of the album deals with faith, and the struggle to keep faith when faced with death, with each couplet of songs showing differing perspectives. Closing duo “Empiricism” and “Prayers, Not Made for Me” concern reflection of life: the former with selfishness, the latter with gratitude. “Reflection | Perfection” advocates questioning one’s beliefs, while its successor “The Lamb” preaches instead to be undyingly faithful. It’s an album built on perspectives.

It’s also an album built on well-crafted music. In all truth, The Tyger and the Lamb may be the best post-hardcore debut of the year (although, admittedly, there’s hardly any competition). Everley does a wonderful job at meshing atmospheric tones into their more typical gritty post-hardcore. I can’t even imagine where they’re going next.

Recommended If You LikeCirca Survive’s On Letting Go; Oceana’s Birth.Eater; Moving Mountains’ Waves

7/10

Displaying posts 1 - 12 of 12
07:24 AM on 06/30/14
Vance Mook
Fastest Kid in School
User Info.
Great review- Circa Survive and Moving Mountains, as well as the album's themes, have me interested. Excited to check this out.
08:46 AM on 06/30/14
Zac Djamoos
fantasizing the sight of manhattan
User Info.
Great review- Circa Survive and Moving Mountains, as well as the album's themes, have me interested. Excited to check this out.
thanks aaron! tell me what you think of it.
12:01 PM on 06/30/14
WeltallAY
Je suis l'Alpha et l'Oméga
User Info.
Nice review, but I didn't notice anything within the text that was negative that would bring the score down to a 7 - unless I missed something you might want to add a little something on what held them back.

Also, IMO the "although, admittedly, there’s hardly any competition" reference to post hardcore is very untrue. This scene and its related scenes has always had many many gems out there that are just as legitimate as good albums in other genres.
10:20 AM on 07/01/14
Zac Djamoos
User Info.
Nice review, but I didn't notice anything within the text that was negative that would bring the score down to a 7 - unless I missed something you might want to add a little something on what held them back.

Also, IMO the "although, admittedly, there’s hardly any competition" reference to post hardcore is very untrue. This scene and its related scenes has always had many many gems out there that are just as legitimate as good albums in other genres.

I'm not hugely into this kind of "progressive"/atmospheric stuff in general and I'm not sure how much this is going to stick with me, so that's why it's only a seven. It's definitely a grower, at least for me, though.

I can't really think of any other post hardcore records off the top of my head this year I've enjoyed. I'm sure there are some but they don't come to mind. Any recommendations?
12:43 PM on 07/01/14
WeltallAY
User Info.
I'm not hugely into this kind of "progressive"/atmospheric stuff in general and I'm not sure how much this is going to stick with me, so that's why it's only a seven. It's definitely a grower, at least for me, though.

I can't really think of any other post hardcore records off the top of my head this year I've enjoyed. I'm sure there are some but they don't come to mind. Any recommendations?
Understood, I just feel bad for the band a bit since they follow AP and I don't want them to feel like it was average quality but from your own subjective standpoint I get you.

I enjoy all shades of this genre, but here are some similar bands that have released great LPs/EPs lately. Will give the band name and a couple songs:

Everything In Slow Motion -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFuL3wTbweg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmTz423qptA

Matter -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhDZRkt4FrI

Flood Of Red -
They have a new LP, but listen to the old one - much more notable:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pBff8DmB40

I know many more, but see if any of these resonate with you at all.
06:13 PM on 07/01/14
Zac Djamoos
User Info.
Understood, I just feel bad for the band a bit since they follow AP and I don't want them to feel like it was average quality but from your own subjective standpoint I get you.

I enjoy all shades of this genre, but here are some similar bands that have released great LPs/EPs lately. Will give the band name and a couple songs:

Everything In Slow Motion -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFuL3wTbweg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmTz423qptA

Matter -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhDZRkt4FrI

Flood Of Red -
They have a new LP, but listen to the old one - much more notable:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pBff8DmB40

I know many more, but see if any of these resonate with you at all.
7/10 is still quite good, i think.

never heard of everything in slow motion before, but i enjoyed both of those songs and will probably look more into their music now.

oh yeah - how did i forget matter? in all honesty, teraphim's probably my favorite post-hardcore release of the year. it's like vheissu pt. iii.

i liked the flood of red vocalist's voice, but the music itself i fond rather boring, alas.

but thank you though, i will definitely listen more to eism.
07:25 PM on 07/01/14
Vance Mook
Fastest Kid in School
User Info.

never heard of everything in slow motion before, but i enjoyed both of those songs and will probably look more into their music now.

oh yeah - how did i forget matter? in all honesty, teraphim's probably my favorite post-hardcore release of the year. it's like vheissu pt. iii.

i liked the flood of red vocalist's voice, but the music itself i fond rather boring, alas.

Teraphim is great- what was Vheissu Pt. II? Haha
07:36 PM on 07/01/14
Zac Djamoos
User Info.
Teraphim is great- what was Vheissu Pt. II? Haha
waves!
08:24 PM on 07/01/14
Vance Mook
Fastest Kid in School
User Info.
Ohhh, how could I forget! (Thanks a lot self-titled) haha
08:43 AM on 07/02/14
WeltallAY
User Info.

Excellent to hear, really appreciate you actually giving these a fair listen! If you end up enjoying EISM check out Hands - they were basically ESIM but somewhat heavier. EISM is just the singer of Hands I believe. Their album "Give Me Rest" is wonderful, especially the first 2 tracks.
09:07 AM on 07/02/14
Zac Djamoos
User Info.
Excellent to hear, really appreciate you actually giving these a fair listen! If you end up enjoying EISM check out Hands - they were basically ESIM but somewhat heavier. EISM is just the singer of Hands I believe. Their album "Give Me Rest" is wonderful, especially the first 2 tracks.
awesome, will do. thanks!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version