Username
Password

Comments: Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 45 of 79
11:16 AM on 07/01/14
Ravelle17
master of disaster
User Info.
Who the hell is giving this bad ratings, to give this only an 83%? Seriously. Whether you can get into this band or not, I don't understand anybody who can't at least see their ridiculous level of talent.
You just answered your own question. Not everyone can get into them, so why would they give this a high score when they didn't like it?

I thought it was a great record as well.
11:20 AM on 07/01/14
TylerHartman
User Info.
You just answered your own question. Not everyone can get into them, so why would they give this a high score when they didn't like it?

I thought it was a great record as well.
My example of this is that I hate EDM, but I can recognize the talent that goes into it. If I was going to rate a Skrillex album, I'd try to take my own personal disdain for that type of music out of it, when rating. Or I'd just not rate it, because it's not my thing.

That's all I'm saying. Why rate something as being terrible, just because you don't enjoy it, as a whole? If ETID released an awful album, then fans of the band would have reason to rate it poorly, because we enjoy what they do, but that particular release lacked whatever the previous releases didn't.
11:22 AM on 07/01/14
whiterussian
awake my old dry bones.
User Info.
Record is mind-blowingly awesome.

The only fault it has is that sometimes, due to the production and riff combination, it gets really close to Converge.
11:22 AM on 07/01/14
Ravelle17
master of disaster
User Info.
My example of this is that I hate EDM, but I can recognize the talent that goes into it. If I was going to rate a Skrillex album, I'd try to take my own personal disdain for that type of music out of it, when rating. Or I'd just not rate it, because it's not my thing.

That's all I'm saying. Why rate something as being terrible, just because you don't enjoy it, as a whole? If ETID released an awful album, then fans of the band would have reason to rate it poorly, because we enjoy what they do, but that particular release lacked whatever the previous releases didn't.
So you're saying I should give a high score to, let's say, the latest BTBAM record, because of the high amount of talent that band possesses? But that would be glossing over my feelings about their songwriting, namely that I think it's strung together half-assedly without any sort of cohesion. Does that make sense?
11:26 AM on 07/01/14
TylerHartman
User Info.
So you're saying I should give a high score to, let's say, the latest BTBAM record, because of the high amount of talent that band possesses? But that would be glossing over my feelings about their songwriting, namely that I think it's strung together half-assedly without any sort of cohesion. Does that make sense?
If those are your actual feelings toward BTBAM, I agree, wholeheartedly.

I'm simply saying that as music fans, there should be able to be a certain level of objectivity with reviewing an album. It's nobody's duty to only like things and only give positive reviews, but giving an ETID album or a BTBAM album a 20%, because it's just not your thing, doesn't make much sense to me.

Me, giving the new Manchester Orchestra album a 70%, when I've given all of their other albums a 90%+ works, because I am looking at it objectively, and appreciate that style of music/that artist.

Maybe I'm not making sense. As I re-read my post, I may not be elaborating coherently. lol
11:30 AM on 07/01/14
Your Milkshake
...I drink it
User Info.
Every song is its own personal gem.
wut
11:33 AM on 07/01/14
TylerHartman
User Info.
I am listening to this and Ex Lives all day today...I had EL as their best album, and now that I am listening to both of them together, I'd say that this new album is MILES ahead of that one.
11:37 AM on 07/01/14
InaGreendase
Registered Member
User Info.
Quite a high rating but I agree with the general sentiment here. A Top 3 ETID record and I wouldn't argue hard if you wanted to say it was their best. Somehow one of the best albums of the year. Ferocious. The weird moments work well. The rest smokes. Every album since and including The Big Dirty's been better than the one before it.

No other metalcore band even touches this band.

Been this way a few years now but yeah.
11:38 AM on 07/01/14
Your Milkshake
...I drink it
User Info.
ive always said every heavy band needs to record with him at least once
every heavy band eh? dudes the shit obv but thats kinda silly
11:39 AM on 07/01/14
Jake Jenkins
https://twitter.com/jakej654
User Info.
every heavy band eh? dudes the shit obv but thats kinda silly
Yeah because I wasn't being hyperbolic at all, completely literal yep
11:55 AM on 07/01/14
TyroneShoolaces
User Info.
After 40 listens or so, I feel pretty confident saying this is my favorite ETID record yet. The chaos of the record reminds me of Last Night in Town, except they've taken that urgency and ferocity and refined it masterfully. At this point, it's hard to picture another record topping FPU this year.

Also, after reading Keith's explanation of "Moor" and knowing the back story behind it, that song became so much more powerful.
what's the backstory?
12:01 PM on 07/01/14
jrockisthebest
jrock is my nickname
User Info.
great review this album is nuts
12:06 PM on 07/01/14
TypicalMiracle
User Info.
12:17 PM on 07/01/14
JayDanielHammer
solidkneeplus.tumblr.com
User Info.
just another perfect addition to their discography.

no need to make grand statements that it's their BEST EVAR, this is just amazing as usual from ETID.
01:21 PM on 07/01/14
pepster50
User Info.
good review ! Just recently got into ETID. Where the hell have they been all my life ? Like wow this band is legit !

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos