AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Comments: Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 43 of 43
01:16 PM on 07/03/14
texan4lif281
User Info.
The song is about a Vietnam War vet who returns home, only to feel abandoned by his own country. It's about a man who feels like “he has nothing left to tie him into society anymore. He’s isolated from his family to the point where nothing makes sense,” Springsteen has said.

I don't see how that makes any sense.

It was a joke
01:20 PM on 07/03/14
WeltallAY
Je suis l'Alpha et l'Oméga
User Info.
I don't like patriotism

I saw this thread and really had to hold myself from being negative but since you started it....I agree. The US's jingoist patriotism was one of my main annoyances that has led me to leave it. Here is my on topic song:

01:26 PM on 07/03/14
J.Dick
User Info.
I saw this thread and really had to hold myself from being negative but since you started it....I agree. The US's jingoist patriotism was one of my main annoyances that has led me to leave it. Here is my on topic song:

Great song.
I'm proud of where I come from but I also recognize that it could be a lot better and there is def a lot of injustice. If you are talking of the "love it or leave it" types I hate those people.
01:36 PM on 07/03/14
D' Evils
User Info.

'mericuh
02:22 PM on 07/03/14
WeltallAY
Je suis l'Alpha et l'Oméga
User Info.
Great song.
I'm proud of where I come from but I also recognize that it could be a lot better and there is def a lot of injustice. If you are talking of the "love it or leave it" types I hate those people.

Yeah that's what I had in mind, there tend to be a lot of people that are so blindly patriotic that it's really uncomfortable to be around and comes off very arrogant. I would never trash anyone for being patriotic for any country but to me a lot of Americans are patriotic by default. I feel patriotism is something that should be backed at least to an extent and it shouldn't be at the expense of the rest of the world. There's so much tossing around of the words "freedom" and "best" with American patriotism that rings very hollow for me - most of the first world is "free" and the US actually ranks lower on that list and "best" is both subjective and ambiguous. July 4th wouldn't irk me really if their patriotism wasn't so in your face the rest of the year but I doubt that will ever change.
02:38 PM on 07/03/14
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
Great song.

Yeah, thankfully there are people like you and bands like Andrew Jackson Jihad that aren't afraid to call out the BS. I love this song and I'm stoked to see this band later in the month:

I also realize Canada isn't perfect either, we've both got problems and it's getting harder and harder to tell the difference between the two of us.
03:08 PM on 07/03/14
RonStoppable
yeezy season approachin
User Info.
i don't like American jingoism but i love this song.

03:14 PM on 07/03/14
Ye Olde Gangsta
User Info.
I meet far more irrationally anti-American douchebags than I do blind patriots. But maybe it's just where I live. I don't really know any jingoists, now that I think about it. This is exactly how I expected the thread to go though.
03:43 PM on 07/03/14
thesinkingship
Hummingbirds who lost the plot
User Info.
I meet far more irrationally anti-American douchebags than I do blind patriots. But maybe it's just where I live. I don't really know any jingoists, now that I think about it. This is exactly how I expected the thread to go though.
Only Americans aren't allowed to feel patriotic. We're the only country that fucks up, you know.
03:54 PM on 07/03/14
ComedownMachine
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Radiohead- The National Anthem

and on the other end of things

Lana Del Rey- National Anthem
03:57 PM on 07/03/14
fran.182
Euphoric Disconnection
User Info.
I really appreciate what America (USA) has offered me culturally speaking and I think it's a land filled with beauty - both natural and men made-, still, I dislike patriotism (whichever is the country).

The fact for many patriots a country holds more importance than a human being's life is ludicrous for me. Just like I believe an army shouldn't be praised for fighting for country x. Defending a population, its freedom, is something everyone should be grateful for, but I really don't care if you are preserving the existence of a "flag"...
05:42 AM on 07/05/14
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
All Bruce Springsteen. Done.
Amen to that.
09:53 PM on 07/06/14
brook183
Leave the lunchmeat for the sharks
User Info.

I'll echo the "I don't like patriotism" sentiment. This song fits that better.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos