AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

My Chemical Romance News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Gerard Way Talks The End of My Chemical Romance

Posted by - 01:04 PM on 07/16/14
Gerard Way's interview with Kerrang talks about how My Chemical Romance was supposed to end after The Black Parade. You can read the first part of the interview if you "pay with a tweet" on Kerrang's website.
“I got sick physically and mentally because I didn’t listen to what my inner self said…” Which was? “Which was when Parade was over, that’s the end. I always said that to myself and I had been relatively vocal about saying that around the rest of the band. I plan things out pretty far in advance. I sat down with a piece of paper before Bullets came out and I wrote. I wrote down titles of records, what they were going to be like and what they were going to accomplish for the band.” So you’d strayed from the plan? Gerard nods. “I never went past the third record because to me the third record was the pinnacle – it was the combination of everything we had learned on one and two but really taken to some crazy extreme. That was Black Parade, and when the tour basically ended with us conquering the world, we were supposed to ride off into the sunset. I can’t think of a better ending than that. And that’s what I internally planned for myself as a human being the whole time – this is it, that’s the end.” The question is, why wasn’t it? “Because it’s a lot more complicated than that. Because you get into careers, mortgages, families, crews, people, the machine itself – not to mention expectations of a record label that invested quite a bit in you, that would like more out of you, a fanbase that wants more out of you. So I kept going, against every fibre in my being, I kept going. I went against myself and I lost…”

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 62
01:17 PM on 07/16/14
superchrist
User Info.
Reading this post gives more significance to the song "Famous Last Words".
01:20 PM on 07/16/14
TylerHartman
User Info.
Sucks that he felt obligated to create his art. That's never how it should be.
01:20 PM on 07/16/14
Jake Jenkins
jakej654.bandcamp.com
User Info.
no kidding....if they would've ended their career on that, man that woulda been perfect. easily my favorite song of theirs.

gerard is such a smart dude, sucks his vision for the band got altered and didnt work out as well as we all would've hoped, but im really looking forward to his solo project
01:21 PM on 07/16/14
SpyKi
This Charming Man
User Info.
Yeah, that would have been the perfect song to end on. As much as I love Danger Days I can definitely see TBP was the end of this band to an extent. What came after just wasn't the same. I'd still love for them to make music together though.
01:25 PM on 07/16/14
Chemical Love
-
User Info.
Sucks that he felt obligated to create his art. That's never how it should be.
This.
01:29 PM on 07/16/14
Gaugzilla
and one head can never die
User Info.
It sucks for the fans that bought into the whole "Danger Days" stuff and tour that it's like - "Sorry! Just did this to pay the bills!"
01:34 PM on 07/16/14
kianacarly
I'm living it, leaving it to change
User Info.
that's not surprising to hear. I like dd but tbp would've been a great note to end on
01:34 PM on 07/16/14
Fame<Infamy
gonna bang bang fuck you up
User Info.
It sucks for the fans that bought into the whole "Danger Days" stuff and tour that it's like - "Sorry! Just did this to pay the bills!"
I think everyone kind of thought that anyway.
01:35 PM on 07/16/14
Schultzy
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
That whole quote they have where he's not qualified to help cutters is a load crap. The dude went around before and during black parade spouting about suicide and how it's wrong. He chose to be the voice. I can't stand this guy. I always saw that shit as a way to make money off of people. Hey you're alone and hurt. Buy our shit
01:41 PM on 07/16/14
Kyle Thrash
@thrash_itup
User Info.
Welcome to the music industry. I never paid attention after black parade.
02:04 PM on 07/16/14
SpyKi
This Charming Man
User Info.
I don't get that impression from this at all. They all still put a ton of effort into that album and love it.
02:07 PM on 07/16/14
SpyKi
This Charming Man
User Info.
That whole quote they have where he's not qualified to help cutters is a load crap. The dude went around before and during black parade spouting about suicide and how it's wrong. He chose to be the voice. I can't stand this guy. I always saw that shit as a way to make money off of people. Hey you're alone and hurt. Buy our shit
Yeah, he went around trying to help people but as a result of that got into a lot more of those situations than he felt he could handle and he clearly realized that he probably shouldn't be the one to do that. He's been saying that for years now.
02:09 PM on 07/16/14
FTank
I hate Golden Tate
User Info.
I don't get that impression from this at all. They all still put a ton of effort into that album and love it.
Yeah, absolutely. I still think it's a good album, but TBP would have undeniably been better as a swan song.
02:14 PM on 07/16/14
SpyKi
This Charming Man
User Info.
Yeah, absolutely. I still think it's a good album, but TBP would have undeniably been better as a swan song.
Yeah, no doubt. But to say DD was just to pay the bills is silly. They scrapped a whole album before that just because they weren't happy with it and spent a ton of time and effort on videos and shit when they really didn't have to. they could have easily put out CW and coasted on that.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos