Username
Password
Entertainment News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Entertainment
Inside AP.net

Marvel Reveals First Black Captain America

Posted by: Jason Tate (07/16/14)
Marvel announced on tonight's Colbert Report that Steve Rogers will turn Captain America over to Sam Wilson, making Wilson the first black Captain America.
That Colbert got to announce the change is altogether fitting; Cap's shield has been on display on the show since early 2007, ever since Marvel "bequeathed" the shield to the host after Steve Rogers' assumed death in the aftermath of the Civil War event series. Wilson will take up the mantle as a result of more recent events in Captain America continuity, however. In Captain America #21, Rogers fights his greatest foe yet in the Iron Nail, only to have the villain drain him of the super soldier serum keeping him young and super-strong. As a result, Cap is not only depowered, but ages into an old man.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 151
10:20 PM on 07/16/14
Mr.Piano93
I hate my username.
User Info.
Nice! Anthony Mackie is a solid actor.
10:21 PM on 07/16/14
Who Is Ryan?
???
User Info.
Bless you Marvel for providing me with the soundtrack of cries of white fanboys this week

10:22 PM on 07/16/14
Timekeeper
Writer
User Info.
This is great. I'm hoping that all of these new changes (black Captain America, female Thor, potentially living with disabilities Iron Man) translate into the Marvel Cinematic Universe over the next decade. The actors are eventually going to want to move on, and introducing new characters to take up the mantles would be better than recasting the roles. to be honest.
10:24 PM on 07/16/14
fothermucker
Show's over, mother fuckers.
User Info.
Marvel with all the game changers this week, I love it.
10:34 PM on 07/16/14
morgantayler
We are all Tatiana Maslany.
User Info.
Awesome, I'd love to see Anthony Mackie as Captain America after Chris Evans finishes up in the next few years. He's only doing the next Avengers and the third Cap right? Or is he doing the third Avengers movie as well?
10:35 PM on 07/16/14
TheUpside
It All Feels Like an Ending
User Info.
Fingers crossed Tony Stark and Bruce Banner will come out as a couple next.
Who Is Ryan?
???
User Info.
Awesome, I'd love to see Anthony Mackie as Captain America after Chris Evans finishes up in the next few years. He's only doing the next Avengers and the third Cap right? Or is he doing the third Avengers movie as well?
I'm pretty sure they'd had Bucky be the next Cap in the movies before Sam, but I'd definitely be down to see Mackie take up the role
Slangster
Kill the lights, I've seen too much
User Info.
No problem with this but he'll actually be the second black Captain America.
10:37 PM on 07/16/14
jwicklun
Never forget.
User Info.
Makes sense.
Who Is Ryan?
???
User Info.
Fingers crossed Tony Stark and Bruce Banner will come out as a couple next.

The press release for the new Avengers lineup:

Called Avengers NOW!, the initiative will see Iron Man, Captain America and Thor radically altered and give each of the three a new #1. It will also feature a renewed focus on Deathlok and the Winter Soldier, with more than new ten titles in the planning stages.

We already knew about the female Thor -- and tonight on The Colbert Report, we learned that Sam Wilson, better known as The Falcon, will take over the identity of Captain America.

The third major title announcement made tonight -- and the one nobody had an idea of -- is Superior Iron Man #1, which EW says "sends Tony Stark to San Francisco with a new outfit and a new perspective on life."
morgantayler
We are all Tatiana Maslany.
User Info.
I'm pretty sure they'd had Bucky be the next Cap in the movies before Sam, but I'd definitely be down to see Mackie take up the role
Oh ok, I don't read the comics so I don't know all of the story lines but either way I knew Evans was only going to do the next couple of movies.
10:39 PM on 07/16/14
Spencer Control
Will you catch me if I blow away?
User Info.
Damn, alright. This is great. I'm super glad we're getting more diversity and complexity in superheroes!
wtfjaked
Tortoise Tamer
User Info.
ITS ONLY TO APPEASE PC SJW TAMBLR GUYS CAPT AMERICA SHOULD BE WHITE BUT I'M NOT RACIST GUISE
more heart
Get Hurt
User Info.
People realize this is just for the comics, not the movies, right?
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests