AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

AP.net Related News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

AbsolutePlaylist: The Best of Rise Records

Posted by - 04:47 AM on 07/25/14
It's pretty hard to argue that Rise Records isn't one of the top independent record labels out there. Thinking about it, the first time I had ever heard of the label was when Drop Dead, Gorgeous played at a Christian festival Tomfest in July of 2006. I remember learning about new bands through the label's sampler CDs (remember those?) - this was one of my first exposures to bands like The Devil Wears Prada and more. The following AbsolutePlaylist is a collection of what I consider to be Rise Records very best - hopefully you find a new artist or two to check out and support. Definitely include links to your own favorites in the replies.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 85
04:48 AM on 07/25/14
Jake Denning
User Info.

1. Drop Dead, Gorgeous - “Dressed For Friend Requests” (2006)
2. Catherine - “Evil Man, Dead Man” (2006)
3. It Prevails - “The Distance” (2007)
4. The Devil Wears Prada - “Hey John, What’s Your Name Again?” (2007)
5. For The Fallen Dreams - “Brothers In Arms” (2008)
6. Emarosa - “The Past Should Stay Dead” (2008)
7. American Me - “The Fire” (2009)
8. Isles & Glaciers - “Viola Lion” (2010)
9. Your Demise - “Miles Away” (2010)
10. Dance Gavin Dance - “Blue Dream” (2011)
11. Dance Gavin Dance - “Carl Baker” (2009)
12. A Loss For Words - “Wrightsville Beach” (2011)
13. This Is Hell - “Bloodlines” (2010)
14. Miss May I - “Day By Day” (2012)
15. Transit - “Cutting Corners” (2011)
16. Issues - “Personality Cult” (2014)
17. Of Mice & Men - “Bones Exposed” (2014)
18. Like Moths To Flames - “Learn Your Place” (2012)
19. The Acacia Strain - “Above” (2013)
20. The Color Morale - “Smoke and Mirrors” (2013)
21. Man Overboard - “Dead End Dreams” (2011)
22. I Can Make A Mess - “Thin White Line” (2013)
23. Polar Bear Club - "WLWYCD” (2013)

Remember, if you want to submit your very own AbsolutePlaylist, head over to our user submission thread! We're looking to post a user submission soon!
05:14 AM on 07/25/14
_><_
Registered Member
User Info.
Disturbing lack of Oceana. Every record they put out was great and Polyenso is even better.

And holy shit that Drop Dead, Gorgeous track. Man, I miss being 13. Also the track says a shit-ton about risecore (the "genre"). Pretty much every metalcore band from 2007 to now is trying to copy that first DDG album, even the production techniques and sounds haven't changed. The bands have only gotten blander, at least ddg had some personality. It's kind of funny that a shitty record that nobody liked has spawned a whole genre. Say what you want about the music but that record really is a landmark hahahaha.
05:25 AM on 07/25/14
blackmold
Bro
User Info.
Technically Isles & Glaciers was released on Equal Vision. Rise only released the vinyl version so I don't know it they should be on the best of Rise.
05:29 AM on 07/25/14
Jake Denning
User Info.
Technically Isles & Glaciers was released on Equal Vision. Rise only released the vinyl version so I don't know it they should be on the best of Rise.
It's #99 in Rise's catalog, so I felt like it was eligible to count. That would be so awesome to own the vinyl!
05:30 AM on 07/25/14
mdunn220
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
the one Of Machines LP that Rise released was easily one of their top 5 records ever. it failed because kids just couldn't understand its brilliance, the intricate guitar work wasn't enough power chords for them to mawsh to. Fantastic record that 5 years later still holds up.
05:33 AM on 07/25/14
Anthony Sorendino
Don't you dare ever give up...
User Info.
Nice! Can't wait to give it a listen.
06:09 AM on 07/25/14
ale5875
traduzionedicanzoni.it
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Disturbing lack of Oceana. Every record they put out was great and Polyenso is even better.

And holy shit that Drop Dead, Gorgeous track. Man, I miss being 13. Also the track says a shit-ton about risecore (the "genre"). Pretty much every metalcore band from 2007 to now is trying to copy that first DDG album, even the production techniques and sounds haven't changed. The bands have only gotten blander, at least ddg had some personality. It's kind of funny that a shitty record that nobody liked has spawned a whole genre. Say what you want about the music but that record really is a landmark hahahaha.
That album is so bad and so good at the same time. Dressed for Friend Requests might be one of the best songs ever in its genre.
06:10 AM on 07/25/14
ThereWeWere
User Info.
Yea I would have thrown in of machines and oceana as well, maybe even some Dead and Divine but this list is pretty decent.
Personality Cult is not anywhere near Issues best song though
06:20 AM on 07/25/14
MrCon
Something Something Something
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
No Make Do And Mend?
06:20 AM on 07/25/14
J.Dick
User Info.
No Hot Water Music? That record was pretty universally praised.
06:42 AM on 07/25/14
blackmold
Bro
User Info.
It's #99 in Rise's catalog, so I felt like it was eligible to count. That would be so awesome to own the vinyl!
I guess if Rise claims it, it works. I wish I could get it on vinyl. Unfortunately I think they only did one pressing and it was a couple years before I started buying it.
06:45 AM on 07/25/14
red8ge
@JohnxHill
User Info.
i was like "this damn well better have ddg" before clicking it haha so thank you
06:49 AM on 07/25/14
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
why live when you can dieeeeeee
06:50 AM on 07/25/14
In-Silence
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
No Hot Water Music? That record was pretty universally praised.

This.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version