AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Epitaph Records News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Joyce Manor Talk With Noisey

Posted by - 12:21 PM on 07/28/14
Joyce Manor on that whole defend pop-punk thing:
When we wrote and recorded our first record, it was before "Defend Pop Punk" and that type of shit. Once it came out, we were very embraced by that community, and we weren’t necessarily comfortable with that. So we kind of made this reactionary record where it sort of focused on what we weren’t good at, and trying to succeed that way. But yeah, you should just make a record you want to make and not think about people’s expectations.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 45
12:25 PM on 07/28/14
Vance Mook
Fastest Kid in School
User Info.
Fuck yeah, well said. "Defend Pop-Punk" is annoying, even if it's well-intentioned. Record is probably their best and will definitely make my EOTY Top 10.
12:25 PM on 07/28/14
codeseven
/* No route to host */
User Info.
Quote:
When hardcore kids started coming to our shows, and head-walking and jumping off speakers, it was like,’Yo, what fucking song are you hearing? I’m playing open chords to a mid-tempo rock song
Lululul
12:57 PM on 07/28/14
billcom6
AP Addict
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I'm confused what exactly is "the whole defend pop-punk thing" besides a clever way to sell merch?
01:12 PM on 07/28/14
Quijiba
User Info.
hahahahhaahaha. I love this
01:13 PM on 07/28/14
saofan_315
So assuming that this weekend...
User Info.
I have to say that I love that the band calls out how ridiculous it is that huge people try and stage dive, idiots jump on top of small girls in the pit, and for whatever people hardcore dance at pop punk shows. I'll need to check out this band as soon as I'm home from work today.
01:20 PM on 07/28/14
Kiguel182
life is a test and I get bad marks
User Info.
I really like Joyce Manor, and their latest record is great, but I never liked when a band says they aren't from x genre and it seems like they don't want those type of fans to listen or like them. It always comes out wrong to me.

Still, this record is probably going to be one of my favourite albums this year. Some great songs in it.
01:49 PM on 07/28/14
Ryan Dennehy
i think i was at the connecticut show that they talk about. those people suck
01:49 PM on 07/28/14
rbf737
User Info.
It's a good record, but it clocks in UNDER 20 minutes, ha. Pretty damn lean for a full length of 10 songs.
01:51 PM on 07/28/14
red8ge
@JohnxHill
User Info.
hey i did this interview :^)
02:07 PM on 07/28/14
positiv-o
throwing punches at ocean waves
User Info.
Great interview.

I've been to a decent amount of shows but honestly, seeing Joyce Manor in a sold out 200 cap club was probably the worst crowd I have ever been in. I only lasted two songs before I had to move to the wall of the venue which was the only place that I could actually stand without having someone jump on me or getting pushed off my feet. It was absolutely insane. So I totally understand what they mean with the disconnect between their music and the live show aspect.
02:14 PM on 07/28/14
Rysker6
I am not Tom Delonge
User Info.
I'm confused what exactly is "the whole defend pop-punk thing" besides a clever way to sell merch?
Yeah, I just always viewed it as a slogan on merch and stuff.
02:21 PM on 07/28/14
Mikey Switz
User Info.
I could never get into this band. I don't know, this "emo revival" does nothing for me. I dug some of what they had to say though, so maybe the new record will be the one that grabs my attention
02:35 PM on 07/28/14
xBranx
Brandon Pagano / Handguns
User Info.
WHATEVER.
02:41 PM on 07/28/14
Rodeo
User Info.
Yeah, okay, Nirvana....

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates