Password

Album Review

The Muffs - Whoop Dee Doo Album Cover

The Muffs - Whoop Dee Doo

Reviewed by
The Muffs - Whoop Dee Doo
Record Label: Burger Records
Release Date: July 29, 2014
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
If you were born after 1991, The Muffs are older than you. This can either be a great or horrible thing. In the case of The Muffs, it is great. The band has been kicking ass for more than two decades and have just dropped their sixth full length album, also the first in ten years, called Whoop Dee Doo. So many numbers, but so much killer music. The record was self-produced over the course of several years by Kim Shattuck, vocalist and guitarist, with the help of band mates Ronnie Barnett (bass and vocals) and Roy McDonald (drums). Self-production is no small feat, but with years of experience, they made an impeccable sounding record.

Whoop Dee Doo opens with “Weird Boy Next Door”, an ode to the ever-present creeper we all know so well. Shattuck has been known for her wailing screams since the beginning, and you would think that 23 years of pounding would do some damage to the vocal cords, and right off the bat we learn otherwise. Kim’s scream is as potent as ever, not only on “Weird Boy Next Door”, but nearly every other track on the album as well. Shattuck's lyrics aren't cryptic or exceptionally deep, which might be why so many tracks on this album are nothing but good, angry, fun.

"Take a Take a Me" might be the catchiest song on the record purely based on classic guitar riffs and happy go lucky drum beats, but Shattuck's witticisms are hardly subtle with lyrics like "I'm a gonna punch her out/ I'm a gonna scream and shout.../ She can never ever take a take a me". Come on ladies, we've all been there. Age has no game when it comes to jealousy, or the occasional bit of violence for love.

The album begins to wind down with "Cheezy" which opens with a harmonica ditty that could easily be pulled from any Americana song, a surprising addition and change up for the album. The song's chorus sings the story of my life, "You're cheesier than you know", and if anyone remembers Zolof The Rock n Roll Destroyer, you'll hear immediate and heart warming parallels.

Whoop Dee Doo might be my album of the summer. I want to dance, I want to mosh, I want to sing, I want to stage dive, and I kind of want to punch some one in the mouth. Shattuck and her crew give me the warm fuzzies, yet the power to kick some ass. I envy thee, if you are lucky enough to catch The Muffs on their slowly- growing tour over the next few months; it's a show not to be missed.

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version