AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Info. News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

The Republic of Wolves Release Albums on Cassette

Posted by - 10:51 AM on 08/02/14
The Republic Of Wolves are releasing all five of their releases on cassette through Ronald Records. Preorders for each release will go up every Friday in August and all of the releases will ship on September 1st. The preorder for their His Old Branches EP can be found here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 16
11:08 AM on 08/02/14
davidarechiga
davidarechiga
User Info.
good for them but I won't be purchasing.
03:02 PM on 08/02/14
mantipede
And the full moon seems to know me.
User Info.
His Old Branches, Varuna, the Cartographer and No Matter How Narrow. What would the fifth be? A double cassette of In the House of Dusk? Or Empty Vessels? 6 songs doesn't seem right. Hmmm. Also, who listens to cassettes?
03:11 PM on 08/02/14
j4callen
User Info.
hip
03:25 PM on 08/02/14
Alex!
The Eventually Home
User Info.
Ronald Records is pretty shady, but I hope they get some money out of this.
03:51 PM on 08/02/14
ZachCTC
Accept the pain, always forgive.
User Info.
Good band, never understood why people buy cassettes though. They sound like garbage.
07:43 PM on 08/02/14
blackmold
Bro
User Info.
I love that people say the same things in every news post about cassettes
08:31 PM on 08/02/14
jonwangcb
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
How about we get a For His Old Branches on vinyl?
09:00 PM on 08/02/14
Keele
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I love that people say the same things in every news post about cassettes
I'll just get of the way the fact I love The Republic of Wolves music.

But what people are saying politely and true. Cassette's really have no upside. The sound quality is inferior, they are smaller and don't highlight album art, and there are significantly less devices to play them on (that still work).

Vinyl Records coming back is both Nostalgic, amd practical. Maybe I'm old, but I remember when tapes faded away and CD's were the new thing. Everyone was happy to get rid of cassette tapes like 8 Tracks. People are just trying to cash in on the generation that grew up in the 90's. Look at the movies that have been released in the past few years.

Anyway, cassette's are really useless. I don't expect people to go backwards and start using car phones.
09:53 PM on 08/02/14
blackmold
Bro
User Info.

But what people are saying politely and true. Cassette's really have no upside. The sound quality is inferior, they are smaller and don't highlight album art, and there are significantly less devices to play them on (that still work).

Vinyl Records coming back is both Nostalgic, amd practical. Maybe I'm old, but I remember when tapes faded away and CD's were the new thing. Everyone was happy to get rid of cassette tapes like 8 Tracks. People are just trying to cash in on the generation that grew up in the 90's. Look at the movies that have been released in the past few years.

Anyway, cassette's are really useless. I don't expect people to go backwards and start using car phones.
Everybody is missing the point by pointing out how shitty cassettes sound. The point of tapes nowadays is to be a cheap collectible. They're usually made in small amounts so it's a cheap way to support a band and have a rare-ish item. I buy a lot of tapes but rarely listen to them; I just enjoy collecting them.
07:23 AM on 08/03/14
airik625
-
User Info.
Why?
10:30 AM on 08/03/14
Keele
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Everybody is missing the point by pointing out how shitty cassettes sound. The point of tapes nowadays is to be a cheap collectible. They're usually made in small amounts so it's a cheap way to support a band and have a rare-ish item. I buy a lot of tapes but rarely listen to them; I just enjoy collecting them.
I don't get it. Buy a t-shirt or save up for a vinyl to support a band since TROW does vinyl. You must have much more disposable income than me if you buy cassette's. At least you're buying cassette's from a good band then. Just can't wrap my head around it. I guess it's cool if you didn't grow up with them or something.
02:38 PM on 08/03/14
theyearfifteen
User Info.

hey friend! while i understand your doubts/concerns about cassettes as a format, i agree with what some others have been saying in this thread about them being a cheap collectible. i personally redesigned the artwork for each release to conform to the cassette size and layout. perhaps you'll see when the rest of the releases go up for preorder, but each release's artwork focuses on a key character or element from the respective album cover, and they were made to be displayed standing in a row.

also, the actual tapes themselves are hand-painted with custom paint swirls and they look pretty awesome, in my opinion. and there are only 50 copies of each tape. ronald records approached us with this idea and we decided to do it because we like to put out interesting merch for our fans, and this was a medium that we had yet to dabble in. i hope that sheds some light on why we're releasing these!
thanks for all the support!
- billy
03:35 PM on 08/03/14
Hagysaurus Rex
We yell like hell to the heavens.
User Info.
I fucking hate cassettes with a passion, but I bought this. I will probably never listen to it. Hell, I don't own a device that can play cassettes, but hopefully this sells out so that the band will release this on record. Now THAT I would listen to the hell out of. Also I think this is my first cassette purchase since 1995. (Hello Tom Petty's Wildflowers.)
04:50 PM on 08/03/14
Keele
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
hey friend! while i understand your doubts/concerns about cassettes as a format, i agree with what some others have been saying in this thread about them being a cheap collectible. i personally redesigned the artwork for each release to conform to the cassette size and layout. perhaps you'll see when the rest of the releases go up for preorder, but each release's artwork focuses on a key character or element from the respective album cover, and they were made to be displayed standing in a row.

also, the actual tapes themselves are hand-painted with custom paint swirls and they look pretty awesome, in my opinion. and there are only 50 copies of each tape. ronald records approached us with this idea and we decided to do it because we like to put out interesting merch for our fans, and this was a medium that we had yet to dabble in. i hope that sheds some light on why we're releasing these!
thanks for all the support!
- billy
As someone who grew up with cassettes I will insist they are useless. I don't really see the movie industry jumping on Beta and VHS releases anytime soon.

The one important difference between these cassette is the band behind it. You guys do fantastic work musically and artistically. I can see a diehard buying them. I just don't see them as practical at all. If it can go to fund any new TROW music than please do more than 50, because the music is awesome. Are there any future plans for TROW at this point or any of your guys solo or side projects?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos