AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

Empire! Empire! (I Was a Lonely Estate) - You... Album Cover

Empire! Empire! (I Was a Lonely Estate) - You...

Reviewed by
Empire! Empire! (I Was a Lonely Estate) - You Will Eventually Be Forgotten
Release Date: August 19, 2014
Record Label: Count Your Lucky Stars / Topshelf
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Empire! Empire! (I Was a Lonely Estate) is one of the most prolific bands in emo, if not the whole general scene. Since 2006, they’ve put out over twelve splits, seven EPs, countless compilation songs, and one full-length. Until this year, at least. At the time of You Will Eventually Be Forgotten’s release, the last time we’d heard a full album of new material from the duo was five years before. 2009’s What It Takes to Move Forward is rightfully considered one of the best records in this wave of emo, but even still, the half-decade long wait seemed at times unbearable. Thankfully, now it’s over, and it’s well worth the wait: You Will Eventually Be Forgotten is easily one of the best albums of the year.

It’s probably a lazy comparison, but it’s lazy because it’s true: the shift in sound Empire! Empire! have made is pretty similar to the one made by forefathers Mineral, only slightly less drastic. In many ways You Will Eventually Be Forgotten seems a companion piece to EndSerenading, as one could say What It Takes to Move Forward was a companion to The Power of Failing. But that’s unfair to say of Empire! Empire!, for as clearly influenced as they are by the pizza boys gone rock, they’re still their own band, and this record certainly stands up on its own.

For the most part, Empire! Empire! has toned things down a bit. While there are still moments, like “Foxfire” or “We Are People Here. We Are Not Numbers,” when the band gets a bit louder, but there’s never a time like the chorus of “Keep What You Have Built Up Here” in which the band just lets things go and explodes. “If It’s Bad News, It Can Wait,” the album’s first single, was an apt choice – it’s a good glance into the record’s slowburning, ever-building approach. As such, it’s one of the least adventurous songs on the album – though still a beautiful song. But it’s nothing next to “Foxfire,” the most energetic song on the album. It’s the only one that starts loud and stays loud, and gives the record a nice jolt, especially placed between the more somber “Stay Divided” and “Things Not Worth Fixing.”

The other notable change between albums has been Keith Latinen’s approach to lyrics. While in the past, he’s relied on abstract metaphors or vague, Robert Lovell-inspired poetry, this time around, he’s written “auto-biographical short stories.” It opens Latinen up to an entirely new kind of honesty – yeah, older songs like “How to Make Love Stay” and “What Safe Means” were personal, he’s never written anything on this level before. The opening song, “Ribbon,” begins with the line, “I almost lost you on our wedding day,” and from that point on it’s clear that Latinen holds nothing back. However, nowhere throughout You Will Eventually Be Forgotten does this come off as uncomfortable to listen to, and Latinen ‘s stories are specific enough to give you a perfect image, but their morals are universal enough that anyone can relate. Take “We spent the rest of our time trying to find another one/but came up empty-handed,” from the Bob Nanna- and horn-laden “A Keepsake,” or “There is so much beauty in a life that also has death,” from “Foxfire,” or “I reeked of youth/I thought the world was owed me,” from “Things Not Worth Fixing.” The album’s final line is perhaps its most poignant: “Is this still worth putting our lives on hold for?”

That line comes from “The Promise That Life Can Go on No Matter How Bad Our Losses,” perhaps the album’s greatest achievement, and easily Latinen’s best vocal performance to date. Like What It Takes’ closer “An Idea Is a Greater Monument Than a Cathedral,” “The Promise…” features a guest vocalist, this time being Mineral’s Chris Simpson. Simpson sings the second verse after Latinen delivers the first, then they both sing the album’s final line together as the last guitar notes ring out. His appearance on this song almost seems symbolic, like he’s passing a torch – in the ‘90s, Mineral was the quintessential emo band, now, in 2014, that band is Empire! Empire! (I Was a Lonely Estate).

9.25/10

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 35
07:09 PM on 08/17/14
Zac Djamoos
fantasizing the sight of manhattan
User Info.
kinda disappointed in myself for not making some kind of "despite what the title says, empire empire will never be forgotten" joke
08:41 PM on 08/17/14
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
kinda disappointed in myself for not making some kind of "despite what the title says, empire empire will never be forgotten" joke
more power to you for not doing that. cant' wait to hear this.
08:50 PM on 08/17/14
Zac Djamoos
User Info.
more power to you for not doing that. cant' wait to hear this.
Haha, thanks. Tell me what you think when you do
09:12 PM on 08/17/14
barkjon
we were a roman candle
User Info.
solid review. haven't listened all the way through this album yet but I'm a diehard E!E! fan and like what I have heard so far.
10:51 PM on 08/17/14
Vance Mook
Fastest Kid in School
User Info.
Stealing this for my review

Haha jk. Great album, great review (most definitely better than mine will be). I personally prefer What it Takes to Move Forward at the moment, but I can see why musically, this is a step-up in almost every direction. Only think that's takes a little time getting used to are the vocals.
11:06 PM on 08/17/14
Zac Djamoos
User Info.
Stealing this for my review

Haha jk. Great album, great review (most definitely better than mine will be). I personally prefer What it Takes to Move Forward at the moment, but I can see why musically, this is a step-up in almost every direction. Only think that's takes a little time getting used to are the vocals.
solid review. haven't listened all the way through this album yet but I'm a diehard E!E! fan and like what I have heard so far.
Go ahead Aaron, take it haha. I'm not entirely sure which I prefer, whichever I'm listening to I guess. But HTMLS is my favorite song they (or any of the other current emo bands) have ever written. Thanks for the kind words, guys! (You can do better Aaron.)
07:45 AM on 08/18/14
jordalsh
twitter.com/Jordalsh
User Info.
nice job Zac, finally giving this a first listen now.
08:05 AM on 08/18/14
topshelfsquad
User Info.
^___^
03:09 PM on 08/18/14
OldManRiverWalk
twinkly time
User Info.
Excited to dig deeper into this. My favorite song of theirs will probably always be I Am A Snail, but you can always count on this band to put out good song after good song. I wish nothing but the best for these guys, they deserve all the success in the world.
03:43 PM on 08/18/14
jpmalone4
5 Meowmeowbeenz
User Info.
Like this album a lot.
03:59 PM on 08/18/14
Trased152425
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Go ahead Aaron, take it haha. I'm not entirely sure which I prefer, whichever I'm listening to I guess. But HTMLS is my favorite song they (or any of the other current emo bands) have ever written. Thanks for the kind words, guys! (You can do better Aaron.)

WITTMF took so long for me and I hated it at first, but one day it just clicked. With that said, I have always loved What It Takes to Make Love Stay and it might be my favorite Emo song too (but Prawn's "Why You Always Leave a Note" is creeping up)
04:03 PM on 08/18/14
Zac Djamoos
User Info.
WITTMF took so long for me and I hated it at first, but one day it just clicked. With that said, I have always loved What It Takes to Make Love Stay and it might be my favorite Emo song too (but Prawn's "Why You Always Leave a Note" is creeping up)
Yeah WITTMF was a grower for me also, but I've always loved HTMLS. Gonna agree on that Prawn song - breathtakingly gorgeous.

nice job Zac, finally giving this a first listen now.
Thanks Jordan! Thoughts?
07:01 AM on 08/19/14
SuperSharkWeek
www.twitter.com/goawaytkus
User Info.
Can not get into this band. It almost bums me out, but everything just seems so boring. :(
08:17 AM on 08/19/14
Zac Djamoos
User Info.
Can not get into this band. It almost bums me out, but everything just seems so boring. :(
i can see how someone could feel that way. clearly i disagree, but i get it.have you listened to any material from their debut? it's slightly more upbeat - check out "rally the troops! poke holes in their defenses! line our coffers with their coffins!" or "it's a plague - and you're invited"

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos