AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Offspring News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Dexter Holland Talks With PunkNews.org

Posted by - 12:03 PM on 08/18/14
The Offspring's Dexter Holland talked to PunkNews about the band's future. He's unsure if the band's next release will be a full album.
We’re not really sure. We used to always do records where we’d go in and spend as long as it took — and sometimes that takes like a year and a half to really do it — and that seems like a long time to wait in between records. And no one really buys albums anymore…or maybe they do, I don’t know. But the way people really digest music has just changed; it’s not really the same way where you’re gonna sit down with the record and really listen to it.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 19
12:04 PM on 08/18/14
Turkeylegz
C'est La Vie
User Info.
I don't know why I always think they're about to break up. But I always do.
12:06 PM on 08/18/14
BSmittyAu
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I don't know why I always think they're about to break up. But I always do.

They could've broken up after Americana and i doubt anyone would even notice the difference
12:12 PM on 08/18/14
tomtom94
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Given they had to dip into re-recording old songs and rejected songs off Splinter to bulk out the (still very good) last album, I'm not honestly surprised. I'd actually be okay with this, might stop filler songs like "OC Guns" from ever being conceived, let alone recorded.
12:17 PM on 08/18/14
Gaugzilla
and one head can never die
User Info.
They should just become a legacy band and tour off of their hits. Stop making songs like "Bump In My Trunk" or trying to re-capture "Pretty Fly" or "What I Want" and tarnishing their memory.
12:42 PM on 08/18/14
saddr weirdr
We're all alone. grab a hold.
User Info.
People buy albums, they just don't buy albums from The Offspring.
12:42 PM on 08/18/14
InvaderPhantom
User Info.
They could've broken up after Americana and i doubt anyone would even notice the difference
Shut up
12:45 PM on 08/18/14
Brandon Allin
Stay Ready
User Info.

Conspiracy of One sold 5.5 million records in the United States alone, so that statement is juat a little off base.

This band is still great. People who actually took the time to dig into their last record would know there are a handful of great songs on there.
12:56 PM on 08/18/14
permanentdan
User Info.
That was a pretty thorough interview! Just about through the last supply of Gringo Bandito i got from them. Time to stock up! haha
01:09 PM on 08/18/14
Phil507
Cynical and sarcastic dick
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Conspiracy of One sold 5.5 million records in the United States alone, so that statement is juat a little off base.

This band is still great. People who actually took the time to dig into their last record would know there are a handful of great songs on there.
5.5 million in the U.S. Methinksnot. I think the 5.5 is worldwide (nothing to shrug at though).
01:15 PM on 08/18/14
s2h72
User Info.
very good interview
01:38 PM on 08/18/14
Brandon Allin
Stay Ready
User Info.
5.5 million in the U.S. Methinksnot. I think the 5.5 is worldwide (nothing to shrug at though).
My mistake, remembering numbers wrong. 2 million in the United States, but the statement otherwise remains true.
01:52 PM on 08/18/14
Skatinbrad
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
My mistake, remembering numbers wrong. 2 million in the United States, but the statement otherwise remains true.
I think he's taking a stab at the fact that it's been about a decade since they did anything worth noting
02:00 PM on 08/18/14
Skatinbrad
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
IMO the band should call it a rest, and any other creative endeavors should be solo work. There's a legacy to the band that, in my opinion (along with some other bands that do this), get seriously weakened by stretching on with sub-par albums and weak attempts at still being relevant. Hang it up, do a few touring rounds every four or so years.
02:01 PM on 08/18/14
Brandon Allin
Stay Ready
User Info.
I think he's taking a stab at the fact that it's been about a decade since they did anything worth noting
Depends on who you ask. Older fans, maybe, but "You're Gonna Go Far, Kid" was one of the band's biggest singles.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos