Password

Album Review

The Color Morale - Hold On Pain Ends Album Cover

The Color Morale - Hold On Pain Ends

Reviewed by
The Color Morale - Hold On Pain Ends
Release Date: September 2nd, 2014
Record Label: Fearless Records
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
In the last couple years, a lot of bands have been preaching a message of “hope”. And while I think that it’s great that bands are reaching out to their fans and are often genuine, I think there’s definitely more than a few in the crowd that make it come off as a gimmick. The band’s third full length record Know Hope took the band to the next level, as their loyal fan-base increased dramatically. The Color Morale are riding on a lot of success, and I’m not sure if they can afford to put out a sub-par record at this point in their careers - if Hold On Pain Ends is ruled a disappointment, will fans stick around?

First and foremost, this record is unapologetic when it comes to it's lyricism, and it's that lyricism that makes the biggest lasting impression. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that listeners will immediately latch onto lines such as Where do I belong?/Even my own shadow leaves me when darkness comes ("Prey For Me"), and Mother, I just needed you to know/Something good grew out from all of the cracks from inside our broken home ("Damnaged"). When I recently caught up with vocalist Garret Rapp at Warped Tour, he explained to me that this record is a continuation of Know Hope, and is lyrically based around the stories of fans that he met in the past year and a half. Feelings of abandonment, rejection, and insecurity are prominently on display, but as the record progresses, the tone of the record becomes considerably lighter ("Throw Your Roses", "Hold On Pain Ends"). Would the record be any worse without the tonal shift? I don't think so.

Rapp's vocals have become considerably more potent since introducing a slightly different vocal style on Know Hope. Rapp utilizes an even mix of screaming and cleans, which works out well - the cleans are on prominent display on the choruses. Speaking of the choruses, Rapp's vocal delivery is compelling on nearly every chorus, particularly "Damnaged" and "Developing Negative". I'd say this is one of the largest reasons why I keep coming back to this record over and over again.

The guitars on this album sound incredible, the way everything was dialed in paid off in a big way. “Is Happiness A Mediocre Sin” does a good job of showcasing what rhythm guitarist Aaron Saunders and lead guitarist Devin King can do. Are the guitar parts particularly complex? Definitely not. However, do they sound incredibly pleasing? Yes. “Developing Negative” is without question a perfect example of Saunders and King at their best, as Saunders sits on a basic riff, and King comes in behind with a simple lead pattern that sets the stage for guest vocalist Craig Owens (Chiodos) to blow the gosh dang roof off, one of my favorite parts of the album without question.

Speaking of guest vocals, I really appreciated how they fit and didn’t seem out of place or forced. As already mentioned, Craig Owens comes in and delivers one hell of a guest spot on "Developing Negative". Dave Stephens from We Came As Romans was a nice complement on "Suicide; Stigma". I can appreciate only having two features on the album, as I feel like a lot of bands have way too many, and it starts to feel like a crutch.

The album closes with the title track, a (for the most part) somber acoustic track that’s arguably everything you think it is. While it’s an incredibly honest and genuine song, I just felt like it might’ve fit better as a b-side or bonus track. I’ll admit I was letdown that the record didn’t close with some muscle - putting a track like “Between You and Eye” would’ve been an excellent move.

At the end of the day, The Color Morale are in a great position right now, especially coming fresh off a successful Warped Tour and about to head on tour with We Came As Romans. If you’re already a fan of the band, Hold On Pain Ends delivers in every way. However, if this is your first time hearing the band, I'm confident that there's something for you on this record, even if the pre-release tracks ("Outer Demons", "Damnaged", and "Suicide; Stigma") aren't your cup of tea. If you're a fan of the genre, it would be a mistake not to at least give this record one full listen. This record is honest, which is all anyone can really ask for these days when it comes to this genre. Hold On Pain Ends is the record the band needed to release if they wanted to see another day, and I'm looking forward to what they're going to bring to the table in the future.

8.4/10

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 59
12:05 PM on 08/25/14
lovemetal24
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
oh man, we can't rate albums anymore? what's up with that?….is AP getting paid by labels to give good reviews now??
12:10 PM on 08/25/14
AquaMan
Constantly evolving...
User Info.
I'm glad that it's being received well! Garret is one of the nicest frontmen I've met in the scene, and he has the talent to back it up. Sadly, none of the pre-release songs have hit a chord for me, so, only because I really dig Know Hope, I'll give the album a run-through. Best track on the album?
12:11 PM on 08/25/14
PetitnaindesÎles
Kaneki-kun, BON APPÉTIT
User Info.
If Denning liked it, then I probably won't. Jokes aside, I'm a bit less anxious to hear it. Great review.
12:22 PM on 08/25/14
rushour144
User Info.
If Denning liked it, then I probably won't. Jokes aside, I'm a bit less anxious to hear it. Great review.
That emoji is the greatest thing ever.
12:24 PM on 08/25/14
Jake Denning
User Info.
I'm glad that it's being received well! Garret is one of the nicest frontmen I've met in the scene, and he has the talent to back it up. Sadly, none of the pre-release songs have hit a chord for me, so, only because I really dig Know Hope, I'll give the album a run-through. Best track on the album?
I'm going to highly recommend "Developing Negative", since I'm such a huge fan of Craig's guest spot.
12:25 PM on 08/25/14
OverSlyZed
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Well after I heard the singles I simply don't know how this album could be above 4.5
12:30 PM on 08/25/14
Jake Denning
User Info.
Are you licking me?
12:30 PM on 08/25/14
Jake Denning
User Info.
Well after I heard the singles I simply don't know how this album could be above 4.5
That's why you're going to need to listen to the entire album as a whole.
12:38 PM on 08/25/14
NateFoundGlory
Why do you stay till you see blood?
User Info.
User comments on mobile are bold and I don't like it.

/unrelated

Also, I don't think this band will ever top 'My Devil in Your Eyes', but I'm willing to give this a shot. 'Know Hope' was alright.
12:41 PM on 08/25/14
Jake Denning
User Info.

/unrelated

Also, I don't think this band will ever top 'My Devil in Your Eyes', but I'm willing to give this a shot. 'Know Hope' was alright.
I'll let Jason know.

Also, I have a strong spot for My Devil, but appreciate you giving this a shot.
01:08 PM on 08/25/14
lovemetal24
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
second that…..singles are garbage
01:12 PM on 08/25/14
Jake Jenkins
jakej654.bandcamp.com
User Info.

/unrelated

It's a known issue with the changes Jason made to the desktop review pages, he'll be looking into it soon
01:20 PM on 08/25/14
sammyboy516
User Info.
New review page? Is ap.net 2.0 slowly being rolled out?
01:26 PM on 08/25/14
circletheworld
Old Fears New Frontiers
User Info.
New review page? Is ap.net 2.0 slowly being rolled out?
IT IS A MYTH

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version