Password

Album Review

Meridian - The Awful Truth Album Cover

Meridian - The Awful Truth

Reviewed by
Meridian - The Awful Truth
Release Date: September 2nd, 2014
Record Label: Victory Records
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Meridian is a young melodic hardcore band signed to Victory Records, in which all the members are essentially fresh out of high school. The Awful Truth is the band's label debut, as they look to make a name for themselves in the scene. Victory hasn't been the most consistent label in the last few years, that's for sure; they're home to great bands such as Counterparts, Comeback Kid, and Terror, but at the same time home to dreadful acts such as Snow White's Poison Bite and The Bunny The Bear. So I think the question most people are going to ask is this: "Is Meridian in the former or latter category of bands?". When I saw that Josh Eldridge from the label was the one that first reached out to the band, I decided that perhaps I really ought to answer that question for myself.

I was impressed by clean vocalist Chris Evanko on multiple occasions, he really has a good voice and provides some good melodies. I really thought the first minute of the record ("Gloom") was incredibly solid, and provided a great introduction to what to expect lyrically on this record, as Evanko sings Everything you love and know will let someday let you go, and you'll one day be on your own. Unfortunately after the first minute, we're introduced to hardcore-tinged vocals from David Mitchell, who bulldozes over the rest of the track. Mitchell does this a few times - Evanko will lay down a solid line or two, and then Mitchell comes through and throws everything off course ("Piece of Mind", "Waves", "Slip Away"). To say it was a disappointment would be an understatement.

I'll admit when I first read about the ages of the members of the band and the label they were signed to, I thought to myself "Here we go, another band whining about 'Haters' and people that are mean to them". I am more than happy to be wrong in this regard, as the lyrics focus on real-life issues, such as depression and pushing forward in the midst of life's storms. The Awful Truth is an honest record from front to back, and for that, I really have to show some respect for the transparency shown.

There's glimpses here or there throughout the record where the band comes together as a really strong unit and show they really gave their all. "Everything That Kept Me Moving" was one of the few songs that I kept coming back to over and over again, there's just so much going on that works - solid hook, interesting rhythm and lead guitar parts that compliment each other, and the drums help really drive all that home. Most of the instrumentation on this record is standard fare for the genre, and has been done by a lot of the band's elders (such as Hundredth), so to hear something different is really refreshing. As I mentioned earlier, I'm not a huge fan of David Mitchell's screaming, but on this track Mitchell really fits in and doesn't overstay his welcome. I have a strong feeling that a lot of listeners will be able to relate to lines such as I feel like I'm losing a part of me and everything that kept me moving. If the band continues to do the things that made this track so successful in the future, they're going to do some really exciting things and go a lot of places.

As a whole, The Awful Truth isn't a record that I would intentionally go out of my way to listen to, but I think it would be wrong to say that Meridian don't have a lot of potential for growth. I strongly believe that the band has earned your hard-earned $1.29 on iTunes with "Everything That Kept Me Moving", and I hope people at least give that track a few listens if anything else. I'd love to see Meridian incorporate more of Evanko's clean vocals in future material, because at the end of the day it was those vocals that provided the most compelling reason for me to listen to this record more than just a few times. There's a lot of bands on Victory Records in 2014 that make me want to rip my hair out and the fact that Meridian is not one of those bands should speak volumes.

Displaying posts 1 - 12 of 12
04:17 AM on 08/29/14
saddr weirdr
We're all alone. grab a hold.
User Info.
Read that as Meridian - Aging truths for a second and wondered why jake denning was reviewing a year old Signals Midwest side project album
06:40 AM on 08/29/14
lovemetal24
User Info.
for some reason this reminds me of the second coming up Hawthorne Heights
09:03 AM on 08/29/14
ThereWeWere
User Info.
Band is from my area and I've talked to the screamer a few times at the mall. Nice guy, hopefully victory doesn't work them over
10:49 AM on 08/29/14
Chemical Love
-
User Info.
Is the clean vocalist from another band? He sounds so familiar.

Anyway, I heard their single on Faction and its catchy. I can see these guys getting some scenester fans.
11:20 AM on 08/29/14
superBMRuth
sheeeeeeeeeeeeeit
User Info.
So they're the least stinky turd in a turd basket?
07:31 AM on 09/03/14
elemenohpe
Two pumps and a swirl.
User Info.
Band is from my area and I've talked to the screamer a few times at the mall. Nice guy, hopefully victory doesn't work them over

Was he working at Hot Topic?

All joking aside, I checked out the record... I didn't really like either vocalist and the music was nothing that really grabbed me. They're alright at what they do but I doubt I'll listen to this album again because there's so many bands that do it better.

Like Jake said, they have potential... I'll check out future releases.
07:43 AM on 09/03/14
ThereWeWere
User Info.
Was he working at Hot Topic?

All joking aside, I checked out the record... I didn't really like either vocalist and the music was nothing that really grabbed me. They're alright at what they do but I doubt I'll listen to this album again because there's so many bands that do it better.

Like Jake said, they have potential... I'll check out future releases.
He actually works at Zumiez haha but you were close
08:37 AM on 09/03/14
red8ge
@JohnxHill
User Info.
haha i love when a band pays for hella ad space and it ends up being weak

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles