AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

AP.net Related News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

AbsolutePlaylist: "Cars and Planes and Shuttles and Legs"

Posted by - 07:26 AM on 08/29/14
Today, I'm proud to bring you the third AbsolutePlaylist member submission! Slangster (Ryan) has been a member with us since 2010. He brings us a playlist described as, "...giving off a vibe that makes me feel like going off on an adventure. They are all great to listen to on the open road or when staring down on the Earth from 5,000 miles high." Check out the playlist in Rdio and Spotify renditions in the replies. To submit your own playlist, check out our submission thread!

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 15
07:26 AM on 08/29/14
Anthony Sorendino
Don't you dare ever give up...
User Info.
AbsolutePlaylist: "Cars and Planes and Shuttles and Legs"
By AP User Slangster

Click here to listen on Spotify!
Paste the link into your desktop client to listen from there.

Direct Rdio link

I live on the East Coast, and go to school at the University of Missouri, so I find myself traveling a lot, for long periods of time (more on me down below, if you care). The songs below are a sampling of the much, much, MUCH longer playlist that I listen to on my travels (it physically hurt me to leave "Born to Run" off of this one). Some songs mention traveling in the lyrics, others just give off a vibe that makes me feel like going off on an adventure. I would advise anyone who enjoys this playlist to listen to all of the albums these songs come from, as they are all great to listen to on the open road or when staring down on the Earth from 5,000 miles high. The list itself is pretty eclectic, starting off with a few relaxed songs before hitting the Menzingers-ETID combo of the list's climax. It then rides a string of choice southern rock cuts before finishing with "The Backseat" (*tears well in eyes*) and "Take Me Home" (*sobbing*). Also, I'd recommend listening to this through headphones, for maximum effect.

1. "Just Like Heaven" - The Cure
2. "Don't Mean A Thing" - St. Paul and the Broken Bones
3. "Family Business" - Kanye West
4. "Permanent Tourists" - The Graduate
5. "Somewhere Only We Know" - Keane
6. "If You Believe Me" - Relient K
7. "Time Tables" - The Menzingers
8. "Wanderlust" - Every Time I Die
9. "The Bucket" - Kings of Leon
10. "Day Drunk" - Buch Walker and the Black Widows
11. "State I'm In" - NEEDTOBREATHE
12. "Omaha" - Counting Crows
13. "The Backseat" - The Gaslight Anthem
14. "Take Me Home" - Phil Collins

My name is Ryan. I was a lurker for a while before joining in June 2010. As I said above, I attend the University of Missouri, majoring in Journalism (News Reporting). I listen to a ton of different genres, and I don't know if I could pick a favorite or one that I listen to more than others. Some of my favorite artists off the top of my head (besides the ones on this list, all of which I adore): The Civil Wars, Danny Brown, The 1975, Acceptance, Third Eye Blind, The Killers, Frightened Rabbit, Paramore, K-Dot, Outkast, and Ginuwine. Yes, that Ginuwine.

Shameless plug: follow me on Twitter for music, news articles, and lots and lots of bad puns/sports tweets, mainly about the Orioles, Capitals, Redskins, and Mizzou.

Remember, if you want to submit your very own AbsolutePlaylist, head over to our user submission thread!

If you missed our staff mid-year lists, check it out here.
07:30 AM on 08/29/14
texan4lif281
User Info.
Great playlist!

EDIT: Awesome Kanye song choice.
07:34 AM on 08/29/14
Jake Jenkins
https://twitter.com/jakej654
User Info.
shout out to the homie ryan
07:37 AM on 08/29/14
Slangster
Kill the lights, I've seen too much
User Info.
shout out to the homie ryan
aww shucks, jake
07:38 AM on 08/29/14
Slangster
User Info.
Great playlist!

EDIT: Awesome Kanye song choice.
Glad you enjoy it, and yeah, that's one of my fave 'Ye songs.
07:57 AM on 08/29/14
texan4lif281
User Info.
Glad you enjoy it, and yeah, that's one of my fave 'Ye songs.

Same here. That album has a lot of gems on it.
08:16 AM on 08/29/14
njdevils327
You know Craigslist? That's my list
User Info.
Man this is a great, diverse playlist. Awesome Relient K selection. I feel like that song is criminally underrated. Omaha and that Graduate song are both incredible as well. And any playlist with The Backseat is awesome in my book. So good
08:41 AM on 08/29/14
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
i was a mizzou grad. i too know the long drives that come with going there (although i was driving 10 hours to texas in those days)

cool idea for a list!
08:44 AM on 08/29/14
Slangster
User Info.
Man this is a great, diverse playlist. Awesome Relient K selection. I feel like that song is criminally underrated. Omaha and that Graduate song are both incredible as well. And any playlist with The Backseat is awesome in my book. So good

Thanks, glad you enjoy it!
08:45 AM on 08/29/14
Slangster
User Info.
i was a mizzou grad. i too know the long drives that come with going there (although i was driving 10 hours to texas in those days)

cool idea for a list!

Thanks! Yeah, the drive for me is 17 hours. Just brutal.
09:19 AM on 08/29/14
untilitkills83
http://weusetolove.bandcamp.com
User Info.
excellent list, always a fan of 'omaha.' if you need another 'traveling' song, check out fort atlantic's album, it's got the song 'no one will know' on it which got me going on my road trip a year ago.
12:03 PM on 08/29/14
theherox
Makin Music and Losin Friends
User Info.
needtobreathe, whoop whoop
12:07 PM on 08/29/14
theherox
Makin Music and Losin Friends
User Info.
Ginuwine and Acceptance would've been fun to have on here. But as far as Needtobreathe goes, I'd have chose "Drive All Night" or maybe "Tyrant Kings"
01:58 PM on 08/29/14
dorfmac
DORFMAC
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
bmore represent

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles