AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Say Anything News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Max Bemis Hates Nirvana's "Rape Me"

Posted by - 09:45 AM on 09/02/14
Max Bemis of Say Anything was featured on AV Club's "Hatesong" to talk about Nirvana's "Rape Me."
That’s just how it came across to me. It’s the sort of baseline assumptions that one can make. It’s sort of like Miley—I’m going to get a lot of shit for this—but it’s just like what Miley Cyrus is doing right now. We don’t really know what’s in her head or why she’s doing this. But we can assume she’s trying to grow up and expand her image and no longer be a teeny-bopper icon, and she’s trying to be dangerous and sexy and hip. So that’s our assumption that may be miles from whatever she’s actually thinking about.

Submitted by serendipity

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 83
09:47 AM on 09/02/14
StephenYoung
dumb
User Info.
this was really stupid haha
09:53 AM on 09/02/14
irthesteve
All that wander are not lost
User Info.
this was really stupid haha
I've found most all of these to be pretty stupid to be honest
09:54 AM on 09/02/14
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
User Info.
I like how he put together a bunch of reasons why he didn't like the song, was told that he was wrong, and then kind of just snowballed downhill from there. Usually these are fun but this was so blehh.
09:55 AM on 09/02/14
Jason Tate
User Info.
None of these have been good -- it might be one of the worst features that gets big names on the internet.
09:57 AM on 09/02/14
FTank
Blank
User Info.
What's stupid is thinking someone is wrong for not liking a song. They may be misinformed about certain things, but if they don't like the song, Jesus, let them not like the song.
09:57 AM on 09/02/14
StephenYoung
dumb
User Info.
I've found most all of these to be pretty stupid to be honest
I only remember one of them (can't remember who) and it was decent/nothing special. But here Max tries saying something insightful and the interviewer is like "nah that's not what the song is about" haha
10:08 AM on 09/02/14
Schultzy
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I felt embarrassed reading this.
10:15 AM on 09/02/14
BrendanMachow
User Info.
Poor Max..
10:21 AM on 09/02/14
mr_raccoon
UᴼᴥᴼU
User Info.
Is he running out of people to be angry with? So he's going after dead guys now huh?
10:25 AM on 09/02/14
patentpending
http://www.mattskibafans.com/
User Info.
Quote:
Lyrically, it’s vapid. And then on another level, it annoys me because, as someone who makes music and someone who admires Kurt Cobain as one of the greater songwriters and musicians of our time—to me, it’s the prime example of a musician feeding into or just being overly influenced by success, even if his knee-jerk reaction is to write a song like “Rape Me,” where it’s railing against his success. He probably wouldn’t have written the song if it wasn’t for becoming this unlikely icon. And so, clearly, he wrote the song to be a punk rock song about, like, “Fuck the fact that I’m a celebrity and screw the fact that the man has co-opted Nirvana.”

So...He's giving him shit for writing about something that was bothering him politically and personally like all his other music while also praising all his other music that was pretty much the exact same thing?

Reading that whole thing he comes off as a complete moron. The further he tries to justify himself, the dumber he sounds. Like, it's okay to say, "I don't like the way the song sounds and despite the intention behind it, it makes me uncomfortable and I don't necessarily agree with it" and leave it at that.
10:32 AM on 09/02/14
FTank
Blank
User Info.
So...He's giving him shit for writing about something that was bothering him politically and personally like all his other music while also praising all his other music that was pretty much the exact same thing?

Reading that whole thing he comes off as a complete moron. The further he tries to justify himself, the dumber he sounds. Like, it's okay to say, "I don't like the way the song sounds and despite the intention behind it, it makes me uncomfortable and I don't necessarily agree with it" and leave it at that.
That wouldn't make for much of a column, would it?

If anything, blame the AV Club feature itself. It practically begs artists to ramble and sound dumb.
10:33 AM on 09/02/14
patentpending
http://www.mattskibafans.com/
User Info.
That wouldn't make for much of a column, would it?

If anything, blame the AV Club feature itself. It practically begs artists to ramble and sound dumb.
Just because they're begging, doesn't mean you have to bite.
10:36 AM on 09/02/14
mka12992
polarisamour.bandcamp.com
User Info.
Yeah, I don't really like this feature at all.
10:40 AM on 09/02/14
projectmayhem16
keep cool, but care
User Info.
Max comes off as really misinformed here.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos