AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Sigur Rs - Me su  eyrum vi spilum endalaust Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 10
Musicianship 9.5
Lyrics N/A
Production 9
Creativity 9
Lasting Value 9.25
Reviewer Tilt 9.25
Final Verdict: 93%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.22
Musicianship 8.4
Production 8.3
Creativity 8.32
Lasting Value 8.37
Reviewer Tilt 8.55
Average: 84%
Inside AP.net
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.

Sigur Rs - Me su eyrum vi spilum endalaust

Reviewed by: Drew Beringer (06/27/08)
Sigur Rs - Me su eyrum vi spilum endalaust
Release Date: June 24, 2008
Record Label: XL Recordings

The beauty and joy of life encompasses me everyday. I see beauty when I look in my girlfriend's eyes. I feel it in the breeze during a mild summer day in Wisconsin. I feel it in the quiet stillness of cold winter day that's been greeted with a fresh blanket of snow. I see, feel, and touch beauty all around me. And the perfect soundtrack for this is Me su eyrum vi spilum endalaust, the fifth studio album from Icelandic quartet Sigur Rs.

Me su eyrum vi spilum endalaust (translation: With a Buzz in Our Ears We Play Endlessly) follows up 2005's [i]Takk...[i], but carries a different vibe than all four of their previous albums. It's loose and free, as evidenced by the album's opening track,the cheerful "Gobbledigook," which sounds like a romp through a field on a lazy summer afternoon. "Inn mr syngur vitleysingur" begins with vibrant horns and booming drums which pace this upbeat track. One thing worth noting is that this album is very lean; it's not as lengthy as previous efforts, thus making Me su eyrum vi spilum endalaust just a bit more accessible.

"Gan daginn" displays the delicate and pristine vocals of Jn r Birgisson. Personally, since I am not fluent in their language, I've always treated Birgisson's voice as another instrument, as his voice is as smooth and soothing as ever. The nearly nine and half minute opus, "Festival," is breathtaking. Paced by organs and a slick frenzy of sped-up drums and strings towards the end, the song is equally muscular and gentle. "Illgresi" is a simple yet calming acoustic ballad, while "Me su eyrum" sounds majestic, with swirling piano chords from Kjartan Sveinsson and a steady beat courtesy of Orri Pll Drason.

The dreamy interlude "Straumnes" leads up to album closer, "All alright," the first track the band has ever released recorded in English. It's haunting, as a simple piano chord and Birgisson's falsetto faintly hang on. It's chilling, suspenseful, and intimate.

For a band that creates this kind of music, it would be very easy for Sigur Rs to fall into monotony; following the same kind of formula. Thankfully, they've progressed with each album, and Me su eyrum vi spilum endalaust is no different, as it takes the band's music into somewhat of a new direction. It begins with sunshine and closes with a sunset. Me su eyrum vi spilum endalaust features familiar mannerisms while throwing in a few new tricks. It rises, it falls, it clashes, it soothes. Breathe in and take in its beauty, as Me su eyrum vi spilum endalaust not only has the potential to be one of the best albums of 2008, it has the potential to be the best album of Sigur Rs' career.

Additional InformationTrack Listing:
1. Gobbledigook
2. Inn mr syngur vitleysingur
3. Gan daginn
4. Vi spilum endalaust
5. Festival
6. Me su eyrum
7. ra btur
8. Illgresi
9. Fljtavk
10. Straumnes
11. All alright
Produced by: Sigur Rs and Flood

Sigur Rs are:
Jn r Birgisson vocals, guitar, bowed guitar, keyboards, harmonica, banjo
Georg Hlm bass guitar, glockenspiel
Kjartan Sveinsson keyboard, piano, organs, guitar, flute, tin whistle, oboe, banjo
Orri Pll Drason drums, keyboards

Official Website; Official Myspace; AP.net Profile

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 59.
01:10 AM on 06/27/08
BrokenMirror
R.I.P. Richard Wright
User Info.
very nice review. i adore this band
03:20 AM on 06/27/08
Vismund_Cygnus
User Info.
Excellent review as always, Drew.

Fantastic record! This could be my favorite record of 2008. Sigur Ros is amazing!
05:28 AM on 06/27/08
Andrew Love
Bravos: America's Team
User Info.
great review drew! works somewhere in my top 10 for 2008 so far.
05:54 AM on 06/27/08
TooLateF0rRoses
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
on the reviews page it said author rating of 79 or something so i came in here extra quick. I was glad to see the actual rating was 93.. great review and even better album
06:23 AM on 06/27/08
Sic Transit Zeb
User Info.
i love the album but i personally like takk better
06:27 AM on 06/27/08
yoyoninjagirl
Nobody's Nothing
User Info.
great review! I really enjoy this record.
06:52 AM on 06/27/08
huntingbears
stadium status!
User Info.
great review.

one of my(if not my) favorites of the year
07:03 AM on 06/27/08
Un'Aria Ancora
The best happiness money can buy.
User Info.
Excellent review man. Sunrise to sunset is right on.
09:18 AM on 06/27/08
chrstianrocker
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
just an FYI, but in the second paragraph you have "noting" written as "nothing" and in the last paragraph you left out the "a" as the second word.

On another note... I've never listened to them before, so would you recommend any tracks to check out before buying the whole thing, or another album to start with alltogether?
09:56 AM on 06/27/08
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor | @drewberinger | Locked Groove
User Info.
just an FYI, but in the second paragraph you have "noting" written as "nothing" and in the last paragraph you left out the "a" as the second word.

On another note... I've never listened to them before, so would you recommend any tracks to check out before buying the whole thing, or another album to start with alltogether?
Their myspace has a great handful of songs to listen to. Check em.
10:15 AM on 06/27/08
aolsux
phase reverse
User Info.
four capitalized letters:

AOTY
10:18 AM on 06/27/08
Until The Bombs
@_johnleary
User Info.
Great album.
10:20 AM on 06/27/08
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor | @drewberinger | Locked Groove
User Info.
on the reviews page it said author rating of 79 or something so i came in here extra quick. I was glad to see the actual rating was 93.. great review and even better album
haha yeah, it does that when you don't rate everything, but there's no way I can rate the lyrics on this, I'm sure they are wonderful though.
10:25 AM on 06/27/08
hydraulicheart
The world is yours, so take it.
User Info.
Sigur Rós is everything beautiful in the world composed into music. Great album, great review, Drew.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums