AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview
Hint: Have a band you'd like to see interviewed? Tell us.
Inside AP.net

Killers, The - 04.09.04

Interviewed by: Kamtin Mohager (04/09/04)
Already taking the UK by storm, The Killers are ready to kill the US with their unique new wave sound. As they gear up for the June 15th release of their debut record, Hot Fuss, which will be released on Island Records, I was able to catch the band on tour and ask them a few questions.
www.thekillersmusic.com

*Kamtin - Hey guys! Thank you so very much for helping us out with this interview. I'll start off with the cliche questions asking you guys your names, and what you do in the band. Also, can you give us a brief history of the band?

Brandon - I sing and play keyboards.

Mark - Bass

Ronnie - Drums

Dave - Guitar

Brandon - I was looking for people to play with and Dave had an ad out saying he was looking to start a band and he liked Oasis. I called it and we immediately started writing together. We played with a few other drummers and bass players before meeting Ronnie and Mark in August 2002.

*Kamtin - It's obvious that The Killers' fan base is stronger in the UK. NME and other UK press have fallen in love with the band, and it seems that people overseas appreciate what you guys are doing more than the US market. The US seems to be blind to great acts like you
guys, and instead, pay's more attention to the Britney Spears' and 50 Cents of the world. You guys are currently on tour with Stellastarr*, so that will definitely help you guys get heard more, but when can we expect The Killers to show the US what they can really do?

Dave - Well, the tour with Stellastarr* is going really well and we are going to do more touring in the US in June. Hopefully things will keep getting better.

*Kamtin - What are the plans for the Island Records debut? Can we see a full length anytime soon?

Ronnie - Our album, Hot Fuss, will come out in early June.

*Kamtin - How do you guys feel when people compare you to such acts as Duran Duran, Psychedelic Furs, and The Cure? I'm sure it's a great feeling to be placed next to such legendary bands.

Dave - It's nice, those are some great bands. For whatever reason, a lot of our favorite bands are from England.

*Kamtin - Within the past year or so, we're finding the new-wave sound to come back with such bands as Interpol, The Stills, The Colour, and Elefant. How do you guys feel you stand out from this bunch?

Ronnie - Well, in some ways, it's nice to be lumped in with great bands like Interpol, etc., but collectively, we agree that we're quite different from the over-generalized 'new wave band'. I think we have a sound and a dynamic within the band that has far more staying power than the 'here today' buzz band. That's not to say that the buzz bands now don't have songs that will last, it's just that the 'new-wave' category sounds very temporary and I don't see us a being a temporary band.

*Kamtin - Can we expect to hear a different sound on the full length from what we heard on the Mr. Brightside EP?

Mark - Those songs have had a few things added and remixed. "On Top" sounds a lot better now.

Ronnie - The EP was a limited release sampler of our demos (some songs actually appear remixed on the record). We saw it on Ebay last week, laughable...

*Kamtin - Are there any bands out right now that you guys would love to tour with?

Ronnie - It'd be fun to do shows with Yeah,Yeah,Yeahs, a couple shows w/ Duran Duran, Franz Ferdinand, Morrissey, The Cure, Bowie, oh, and Red Hot Chili Peppers. Looking forward to fun times in the summer with all the festivals.

*Kamtin - What were some of your favorite records of 2003? And, what albums are you guys looking forward to for 2004?

Dave - The Yeah Yeah Yeahs, and The Strokes had good records come out last year. I am looking forward to the new U2 album. And The Cure are recording a new one that will hopefully come out later this year too.

Thank you to The Killers and Dan at Island Records for making this interview possible!

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3.
09:33 PM on 04/09/04
bossman calling
True Punk Fan
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
this band was so much fun on the stellastarr* tour
09:16 AM on 08/24/09
MorningStar10
the other Kyle.
User Info.
Still the case, England appreciate them a lot more than the US