AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Fairgreen - When You Come Back Home Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 7.75
Production 8.75
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.25
Final Verdict: 82%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7.5
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 5.5
Production 9
Creativity 5.5
Lasting Value 5.13
Reviewer Tilt 5.5
Average: 66%

Fairgreen - When You Come Back Home

Reviewed by: Susan Frances (07/06/08)
Fairgreen - When You Come Back Home
Record Label: None
Release Date: September 1, 2007

The pop punk decibels of Fairgreen’s music on their latest release When You Come Back Home have the hard rock intonations of Saving Abel and the power rock velocity of The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus. Fairgreen makes the rock genre their own, indulging in their own ideas and fashioning their own chord dynamics. The band shows confidence when they dip into acoustic rock quadroons and slope into a chain of melodic rock hooks, showing the precision of rock veterans like Switchfoot. The band builds momentum moving along the rhythmic grooves made by bassist John Braden and drummer Kenny Kingsborough as the lead vocals shared by the band’s guitarists Jody Oliver and Frank Hendrickson, engrave their own cues and blend them right into the sonic patterns. Lead guitarist Brian Melvin performs lots of fancy fretwork that stirs everyone’s adrenaline juices and injects a power rock fuse in the pop punk fireworks. Fairgreen describe themselves as a Christian band making songs that give people a sense of hope and encouragement, and being an example for people to put their faith in by doing what they say they will.

Jody and Frank’s vocal harmonies on “Between You And Me” are striking as they forewarn “You know how it ends,” and then they sing in unison, “Look at what I have become / Where did I go wrong … Take these broken pieces.” The ebb and flow in the chord progressions follow in the direction of the emotive phrasing of Jody and Frank’s vocals, which makes for a powerful piece. The melodic rock shading in the track is magnetic and induce a warm feeling while barbed by a tough shell. The breezy flow of “For What It’s Worth” builds into a fellowship of briskly layered thrusts that pulls listeners off their feet. The music is strong without bowling people over like in “Every Chance.“ Though Fairgreen’s songs are not sermons, they have the capability of moving audiences like the way sermons are meant to, towards the light. The guitars taxi beefy riffs along the rhythmic grooves, feathering the chords with reverb and withdrawing them into sunken pockets while continuously working towards a muscular build like in “Don‘t Look Back.” The music straddles the line between holding strong through the turf of bulky chords and being gently swept away. The speed of the band’s turbines rotate at a top-notch pop punk decibel while augmented by modern rock trimmings, and the band maintains that course throughout the album.

Fairgreen make a nice addition to the family of pop punk. Coming from the environs of Baltimore, Maryland, the band’s music has a tough shell with pockets of emo-rock turf. Their melodic solutions show influences of contemporary music imprinted by the band’s own stamp on each song. The members seem inherently aware of what are their strengths and where their weak spots exist, and they emphasize their fortes on their 6-track EP, When You Come Back Home. The band made the claim on their myspace page that “Fairgreen has a lot in store for 2008,” and their EP is just one of those things that they have in store.

Recommended if you like: Switchfoot, The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, Saving Abel

http://www.myspace.com/fairgreen

Displaying posts 1 - 8 of 8.
04:59 PM on 07/06/08
hockeyguitar99
Prison Strength
User Info.
Great review

I can't comprehend how many reviews you right, it's insanity! but in an awesome sort of way.
05:30 PM on 07/06/08
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
*Write
06:25 PM on 07/06/08
PassedOut
Ding!
User Info.
The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus? That one might be a stretch.

Fairgreen is made up of a group of really great guys, I hope people give them a listen.
07:03 PM on 07/06/08
Oneurwaitingfor
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
great review, great band
07:35 PM on 07/06/08
saving jonathan
everything in transit
User Info.
The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus? That one might be a stretch.

Fairgreen is made up of a group of really great guys, I hope people give them a listen.

I'll give them a listen, you tramp.

06:34 AM on 07/07/08
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
One of your better reviews.
Nice work.
Not a fan of the band, but so it goes. I do dig the fact that they are supposed nice guys. That counts...for something, at least.
02:51 PM on 07/08/08
blindrider529
***NICKEL CREEK*** <--GO LISTEN NOW
User Info.
I'm kind of liking this band. Thanks for reviewing it.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests