Password

Album Review

Boysetsfire - Tommorrow Come Today Album Cover

Boysetsfire - Tommorrow Come Today

Reviewed by
Boysetsfire - Tomorrow Come Today
Record Label: Wind-Up Records
Release Date: April 1, 2003
I was slightly perturbed when browsing through the reviews on the site and saw that no one had reviewed any of the Boysetsfire albums. I did not know how to assess the situation. Were there many people on AP.net that just haven’t heard of Boysetsfire, or was it just that their albums were a little dated? Was it that the band had broken up to do other projects, and they had become lost in the sands of time as just another hardcore band? Personally, Boysetsfire (specifically the album I chose to review, Tomorrow Come Today) was what made me start loving hardcore/screamo and melodic metal. Being one of the only hardcore bands I can remember being centered on politics, they did what they did extremely well. And having toured and played tons of shows, I think it’s time that the people who haven't heard Boysetsfire are informed of how incredibly awesome the band was.

Hailing from the university town of Newark, Delaware, Boysetsfire was composed of five local guys making way into the Delaware hardcore scene, alongside bands like Folly, My America's Watching Tigers Die, Fear Before The March Of Flames (at least that’s who they used to play with in the area) and coming to the stage with a strong political message. Their first release, The Day The Sun Went Out, which helped the band sign with Equal Vision, were twelve hardcore smacks in the face that immediately got them noticed by bigger labels (Tomorrow Come Today was released on Wind-Up Records).

I chose Tomorrow Come Today because it was my first Boysetsfire album, and I think it’s one that combines Nathan Gray’s singing and screaming well, and really makes the band shine as a standout post-hardcore rock group. The third full-length album with the boys starts up with a bang: opening up with the ever-so-catchy “Eviction Article,” the spoken intro, questioning, “Who are the real patriots? / who are the real traitors? / Protest is patriotism,” you know that this may be a little more than passionate about the situation in government at the time. This CD was released in April of 2003, literally a few weeks after the US was thought to formally be considered in war with Iraq, and the boys had some thoughts on their mind. Slamming on into the next couple tracks, Gray’s raspy vocals plead with the listener to question their patriotism, stand up for their rights, and make a difference in the world.

Barreling through the rest of the album without slowing down, listeners are taken through hardwired songs such as “High Wire Escape Artist,” “Management Vs Labor,” and "Foundations To Burn." Finishing the record is the ten-minute long “On In Five,” which starts out as another in-your-face hardcore song, only to end with the warning words, “This is not a test...” The combination of shredding guitars and growling raspy vocals really make this group one to be reckoned with, and these songs prove it. The album's production is top-notch, as it continued to improve when the band released The Misery Index on Equal Vision three years later.

It would be hard to classify Boysetsfire into any type of music group. They definitely have the influence of many different genres, and whether it is singing or screaming, their music is melodic and exciting. If not just because of the strong underlying political messages the boys are trying to get across, it’s well-worth a listen if you’re tired of the redundancy found in most bands in a similar vein today. I would definitely recommend Tomorrow Comes Today to anyone who likes anything ranging from pop-punk to hardcore, and even though this band is no longer, their message and chords still hold the power of change.

Recommended if You Likehardcore, post-hardcore, thought-provoking music

myspace.com/boysetsfire
This review is a user submitted review from Billy Da Mute. You can see all of Billy Da Mute's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 11 of 11
08:00 AM on 07/13/08
brokenwings
Tear the scene down, start over.
User Info.
nicely written review.
the only BSF album i really like from start to finish (although i have to admit that i never gave any of their other albums a lot of time). but they were a good band nonetheless. it's a shame that the remaining members now have such a shitty pop band.
10:24 AM on 07/13/08
newfoundmichael
@SirDaveyBoy
User Info.
these guys were such an underrated band. good review.
11:51 AM on 07/13/08
isae
User Info.
after the eulogy was a killer album. it still kills today. but this one... i don't know... never liked it that much.
05:02 PM on 07/13/08
Praetor
as we melt, let's make no noise.
User Info.
Love their stuff, but why you didn't choose to review After The Eulogy is beyond me, that record is so good on so many levels.
05:06 PM on 07/13/08
Billy Da Mute
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.
User Info.
hah tommorrow come today was my first bsf, cd, i figured id just do this one. maybe ill do one for after the eulogy, it was such a bangin cd, and yeah nathans new band is only ehhh
02:01 AM on 07/14/08
CstSnow
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Cant Lose
User Info.
hah tommorrow come today was my first bsf, cd, i figured id just do this one. maybe ill do one for after the eulogy, it was such a bangin cd, and yeah nathans new band is only ehhh

Dude use the shift key its your friend. With that being said, I agree that BSF is criminally underrated here. The e.p. that came out a year or so before TCT is what first got me into them.
05:29 AM on 07/14/08
Billy Da Mute
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.
User Info.
Dude use the shift key its your friend. With that being said, I agree that BSF is criminally underrated here. The e.p. that came out a year or so before TCT is what first got me into them.

allright ill start making the effort to reach to the right and put it into use. are you speaking of The Day The Sun Went Out? idk if that was an EP or not but nonetheless that too was an amazing cdd
09:10 PM on 07/14/08
CstSnow
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Cant Lose
User Info.
allright ill start making the effort to reach to the right and put it into use. are you speaking of The Day The Sun Went Out? idk if that was an EP or not but nonetheless that too was an amazing cdd

Nope im talking about Live For Today.
01:09 PM on 07/17/08
Wutz
Don't Worry, I'm A Pilot
User Info.
Nope im talking about Live For Today.

I had been listening to After the Eulogy for a while; loving it, when I heard about Live for Today. A buddy of mine just picked me up and we drove around listening to it. I fuckin' lost it. I was soo pumped.

TCT came out and blew me away.

Great band. I wish I could have seen them live. I was just a punk with no money living in the middle of the North Dakotan tundra. There was no way I could afford to go to Minneapolis (the closest place where smaller/less mainstream bands stopped). The only time I went to see 'em, 2002 Warped Tour, they ended up skipping the date. I was told by the guys running the stage that the brakes on the bus started on fire.

I still got to see Death by Stereo, Thursday, and Bad Religion which was good.
08:41 PM on 07/23/08
Billy Da Mute
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.
User Info.
I had been listening to After the Eulogy for a while; loving it, when I heard about Live for Today. A buddy of mine just picked me up and we drove around listening to it. I fuckin' lost it. I was soo pumped.

TCT came out and blew me away.

Great band. I wish I could have seen them live. I was just a punk with no money living in the middle of the North Dakotan tundra. There was no way I could afford to go to Minneapolis (the closest place where smaller/less mainstream bands stopped). The only time I went to see 'em, 2002 Warped Tour, they ended up skipping the date. I was told by the guys running the stage that the brakes on the bus started on fire.

I still got to see Death by Stereo, Thursday, and Bad Religion which was good.

Thursday is such an amazing band to see live. That sucks though, BSF puts on, well DID put on, such a good show

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos