Password

Album Review
A Moment's Worth - Sleepless Album Cover

A Moment's Worth - Sleepless

Reviewed by
A Moment’s Worth - Sleepless
Record Label: Smart Fox Records
Release Date: July 2008
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
As music consumers, we so often relish in the task of trying to set apart a band as one-to-watch, and/or which band will become the next big thing. More often than not, this quest forces us to wade through releases that are often underwhelming and mediocre. Neither of those sentiments though can be said about the eight song EP Sleepless by Bronx, New York band A Moment’s Worth. Beginning with the hard-hitting opener “Unsound,” the quintet lets listeners know that their brand of ferocious rock is not to be taken lightly. The bass lines are energetic, the drums are propulsive, and the guitar riffs are fiery. Lead vocalist Alex Bondarev, whose vocals are restrained for much of the eight songs, allows the music to take center stage, and lets his voice take second fiddle to the extremely proficient playing. In truth, Bondarev’s voice is underutilized and should have taken the forefront, especially when he sings lyrics like: “And I've chosen this existence where we're always racing time / And we're running on pure passion / Leaving everything and everyone behind.”

Whereas some bands are loud for the sake of being loud, A Moment’s Worth kicks up the sonic level without sacrificing musicianship. Every minute of the record is incredibly cohesive, as if to assume that the band has been playing together for a dozen years (they’ve actually been a band since 2003), and that making music is something they could do in their sleep, without even mustering any energy. So often reviewers pass along the words effortless without giving it any real consideration, but the way in which the five players put together rhythm and melody on second song “Zero.Four.One,” it's apparent, the endeavor really is effortless. Third song “Too Far, Too Long,” may be the only dud, but it’s allowed to be, as fourth track “Sleepless,” and fifth track “My Lost Self,” steal the show and cement this band as a serious contender for major label status. In “Sleepless,” Bondarev sings of an apocalyptic like moment, “And I was at home with my whole family / And we watched as the streets filled with smoke / And the TV had spoken of death and confusion / And what we should do for the bombs they were using.”

Ingeniously, the band doesn’t allow "Sleepless" to end and the song flows directly into “My Lost Self,” almost making it one long eight-minute track. Whereas "Sleepless," was infectious, achingly catchy and built around a memorable guitar riff, "My Lost Self," is built on Bondarev's vocals, which soar above a hodgepodge of electronic and synth noises. Both "Sleepless" and "My Lost Self" are the album's crowning achievements and the only songs on which Bondarev's vocals stand above. The back-to-back segue is an incredible trick that made me listen to the disc a few times to actually realize the nuance was occurring. Sixth track “Exit With a Desperate Cry” is a minute of a gentle guitar riff while vocalist Bondarev delivers barely audible spoken word verses. The song serves as a lead in to the ferocious album closer “Cross My Heart,” which draws on much of the same energy as the opener.

The album, which was recorded and produced by guitarist Nicola Terzulli, also bristles with the sparking gloss of a major label album and proves that the band is as adept behind the knobs as it is in performing music. In it's five year history, the band has amassed a slew of low-level awards and a host of prominent endorsements. Major label status should hopefully come calling in due time.

Recommended if You LikeThrice’s The Artist in the Ambulance, Armor for Sleep’s What to Do When You Are Dead, Matchbook Romance’s Stories and Alibis, Just Surrender’s If These Streets Could Talk

myspace.com/amw

Displaying posts 1 - 9 of 9
10:24 PM on 07/16/08
trainwreck89
User Info.
i love this cd. these guys are from my area and ive been going to their shows for a few years now. they def deserve some more recognition
12:14 PM on 07/17/08
liar23
Yo
User Info.
good review
10:29 AM on 07/21/08
MickiMayhem
Still you wonder why.
User Info.
this CD is really the best i've heard so far this year.
I would totally incourage people to buy it! :]
08:06 PM on 07/21/08
SweetLou89
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Great CD, I thought it would be really hard for A Moment's Worth to follow their last CD, considering how amazing it was, but this EP does not disappoint. The musical complexity really shows, and it's quite apparent that they all have matured musically. That of course is not meant offensively towards their older music, because I love that so much too. I am anxiously awaiting the full CD, this is a must have CD if you like music. And if you don't like music, I don't know why you'd be reading this. A Moment's Worth is by far the best band in the Bronx region, and they're definitely going somewhere with this. Keep an eye out for them, everyone.
07:25 AM on 07/22/08
iggyadi
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
A Moment's Worth has been one of my favorite bands for years. The new EP sleepless is by far my favorite of the 3 CD's currently available by them. Their lyrics are well thought out and allows anyone with a heart to relate. Their music just captivates you as you become lost in your own little world. I am so glad that their music is being reviewed by a reputable site to help the world know who A Moment's Worth is!!!
07:36 PM on 07/22/08
lilsis3333
User Info.
the Sleepless EP is awesome - i can't stop listening to it.

<3
03:32 PM on 07/23/08
abandonship
my lazy bones ache for a tearing
User Info.
good review, just listened to a few songs on myspace, i'm liking it i'll have to buy this
05:58 AM on 06/12/10
Forleen
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
The new EP sleepless is their masterpiece!Lyrics are really straight, anyone can actually relate and understand what the song is trying to convey. Their music is indeed enticing. This EP Sleepless will play longtime in my recorder.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos