AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: Paris, Texas - 05.26.04

Paris, Texas - 05.26.04

Interviewed by
www.paris-texas.com

*Kamtin - Hey...can you give us your names and what you do in the band?

Nick - Sam Vinz – drums. Nolan Treolo – guitar. Matt T. - bass. Scott Sherpe – vocals. Nick Zinkgraf – guitar.

*Kamtin - Can you give us a brief history on Paris, Texas?

Nick - We’re five marbles, tied together with one piece of string, hurled off a cliff. Expected to stay together somehow. Beyond that, we’re a band that’s gone through one member change in our six years together. Madison, Milwaukee, and Tucson are places that we call home. Three releases on Polyvinyl Records to show for something. The release of Like You Like An Arsonist is going to bring our band physically together for an amount of time not scene since like 1999. We’re excited.

*Kamtin - What can we expect to hear when Like You Like An Arsonist is released this summer?

Nick - You can expect to hear lots of "Arsonist." I’m not sure of the question. How about, you’ll probably hear (read) lots of reviews proclaiming how lame our band is, how we’re played out. How everything is much cooler. Whatever, we’re the best.

*Kamtin - How would you describe the sound of the band?

Nick - This question always kind of irks me, in the fact that I always feel that a journalist's job is a translation of music into the printed word. By answering that question directly, I feel like I'd be doing your job.

*Kamtin - Um...alright.

*Kamtin - What do guys want to see happen this year with the band and what are the main goals you guys want to accomplish?

Nick - Not to die in van accident. Actually release this record which was initially coming out in Feb. (now it's july). Go on tour forever. Not die in van accident. If much happened beyond that we'd be so grateful that karma would catch up with us and we'd probably die in a van accident.

*Kamtin - Do you guys think you have grown as individuals since the release of your first Polyvinyl Records release? If so, how?

Nick - Well, it's been like 6 years since our first PV release. I really only feel comfortably speaking for myself on this one. College junior to late-twenty something musician-waiter. I like to garden more now than I did then. I love my friends even more now than then. I'm a better gift giver. I still want to bring down the house with a full force (partying or all out revolution) .

*Kamtin - What are your thoughts on the current state of music right now? It seems that the love for music has been lost and everything is just about the corporate image and money.

Nick - Let’s reference the next question and I'll say that was one of the things that kept on popping into our heads when we were on tour with A Static Lullaby. Hardcore is the new pop punk. The line between band and traveling merchandising venue have been blurred. But this has been going on for sometime. Your comment seems a bit of an hyperbole. People still love music, although the establishment (labels and magazines, etc.) always want to create something (image) and make money off of it. Create the next big thing and get everyone to buy it. Unfortunately, the next big thing now is your/our scene/music. This stuff has been going on since before my parents were born.

*Kamtin - You guys were on tour with The Bled and A Static
Lullaby. It's obvious that Paris, Texas' sound doesn't really fit into the mood of this tour. What was that like?

Nick - Yep...well the tour is over and we felt like the odd men out most of the time. We were the rock band on a hardcore bill. We heard too many references to things like “getting tail.” We felt a bit old. I hate to say this, but maybe more mature. Our expectation for the tour is to come back home a tighter rock band. Ready for our record to come out, with some shows under our belt. Call that low expectations.

*Kamtin - How did Paris, Texas and New Line Records end up working together?

Nick - A mutual friend introduced us.

*Kamtin - good answer.

*Kamtin - Now that you guys are working with this label, there are definitely more opportunities for the band. Why did you guys end of choosing New Line?

Nick - Resources and opportunities. It's the cause and the effect. They are mutually exclusive. New Line has resources. That was something not present in the past. At this point though, the gods of rock and roll have us in their hands. They will determine our fate.

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests