Password

Album Review

Nas - Untitled Album Cover

Nas - Untitled

Reviewed by
Nas - Untitled
Record Label: The Jones Experience / Def Jam / Columbia
Release Date: July 11, 2008
Nasir Jones (most commonly referred to as simply Nas) has been a pivotal force in hip-hop, weaving in and out of the spotlight for over a decade now. Since 1994, Nas has made sure to challenge the pressures of conforming to a mainstream sound while maintaining intellectual and thought-provoking rhymes.

Nas has seen nothing but controversy surrounding his racially and politically-charged ninth studio album. At its conception, the album was originally titled to represent a negatively ironic racist slang term, but after much deliberation, Nas would eventually cave and simply leave the name absent when the album’s release began to hang in the balance for high-selling retail outlets such as Wal-Mart. However, Nas released a mixtape with DJ Green Lantern in early June to push his original concept, spitefully titled The N**** Tape.

On Untitled, Nas wastes no time as he begins to flow effortlessly over the hushed piano chords of “Queens Get the Money,” and reasserts himself into hip-hop as he raps, “Hip-hop was aborted / Nas breathes life into the embryo.”

Untitled follows a very loose concept of the awareness of African-Americans, heard in songs like “The Slave and the Master” and “America,” but also tackles many political issues. “Sly Fox” is a lyrical assault on the "visual cancer" tendencies of the Fox News Network. Likewise, “Black President,” a snare-heavy track complete with sample of Tupac Shakur’s “Changes” alludes to the 2008 presidential nominee Barack Obama.

Nas’ strong suit is and always will be his lyrical prowess. The veteran emcee has a way of writing songs that feel completely natural and and possess a certain gracefulness that most emcees could never amount to. Even on “Hero,” the album’s lead single, Nas finds himself rapping over the most radio-friendly beat on the album, but still manages to rise above average mainstream talent.

There are very few roadblocks standing in the way of Untitled from becoming a near-classic album. The awkwardly placed “Testify,” and the forced rhymes of “Breathe,” hinder the album’s power. “Make the World Go Round” is a little atypical of Nas, considering the fact that Chris Brown is the last person you would expect to see participate on a Nas album. However, Brown and West Coast powerhouse The Game collaborate with Nas for one of the strongest songs on the album.

Untitled is not a mainstream-friendly record by any means. Other than “Hero,” there are very few tracks that will see commercial success. However, Nas has always kept a level head, and never seems to make records for a buck. Not to mention, the support of his dedicated fanbase will always allow him to remain relevant. Nas is one of the few remaining emcees in hip-hop with a purpose and as long as he’s creating music, there is very little chance of hip-hop being dead.

Recommended if You Likesocial awareness, controversy, hip-hop, Nas' previous work

myspace.com/nas
This review is a user submitted review from weworemasks. You can see all of weworemasks's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 39
11:50 PM on 07/15/08
EchoPark
promesas son sombras
User Info.
Awesome review.

I love this album, been listening to it nearly everyday.

Nas shows Kanye West what real hip hop integrity is.
06:59 AM on 07/16/08
WhoSaidThat?
twitter.com/TiredOfSeth
User Info.
Just around what I'd give it. Nice one.
08:30 AM on 07/16/08
tait
@
User Info.
nice review, really like this album
01:21 PM on 07/16/08
Sic Transit Zeb
User Info.
Im so over the Black vs The White man bullshit. Come on, not an original concept at all. If anyone actually believes that Blacks are being held down by white people you need to get over your own spite, bias, and racism and educate yourself. I hate having to hear cuz I'm white I have an agenda and I 'owe' African-Americans. Come on now, it's so annoying. if anyone is being held back by the government it's a middle class, white male. We don't have any scholarships, affirmative action-esque, or any advantages. I've grown tired in hearing how being a white male I'm given shit. Fuck that, I earn what I get, i work, I go to school, I try not to break the law in serious ways. give me a fucking break. I heard the same shit from a black girls parents, who I use to date, all the time. Fuck that.
01:21 PM on 07/16/08
Sic Transit Zeb
User Info.
other than the 'racism' overtones i really like this album and great review too!
01:41 PM on 07/16/08
MusicTalks
@JasDunham
User Info.
Awesome review.

Nas shows Kanye West what real hip hop integrity is.

kanye west is super duper garbage. he is a brilliant producer, lyricist and emcee, but he's such an asshat when it comes to everything else. he's a tantrum inducing baby that feels that somehow people owe him something for living. the shit he pulled at bonnaroo was a disgrace and while there were things that were out of his control that made him look worse, he still did his fair share of finger pointing and name calling. stick to rapping and buying argyle vests. that's what you're good at kanye.

with that said, nas is amazing. probably one of the best emcees ever.
05:30 PM on 07/16/08
Sic Transit Zeb
User Info.
kanye west is super duper garbage. he is a brilliant producer, lyricist and emcee, but he's such an asshat when it comes to everything else. he's a tantrum inducing baby that feels that somehow people owe him something for living. the shit he pulled at bonnaroo was a disgrace and while there were things that were out of his control that made him look worse, he still did his fair share of finger pointing and name calling. stick to rapping and buying argyle vests. that's what you're good at kanye.

with that said, nas is amazing. probably one of the best emcees ever.

do you buy the music or the person? If you only buy the music, who gives a fuck what Kayne gets pissed over. For a site that is so concerned with 'sell outs' who aren't true to the music, so many people buy music or hate it, because of the people, not the music itself. Soooo retarded.
10:47 PM on 07/16/08
weworemasks
save the drama for wilmer valderama
User Info.
do you buy the music or the person? If you only buy the music, who gives a fuck what Kayne gets pissed over. For a site that is so concerned with 'sell outs' who aren't true to the music, so many people buy music or hate it, because of the people, not the music itself. Soooo retarded.

god damn. this post, along with your moving mountains avatar are two reasons why i love you.
08:46 AM on 07/17/08
SmokieB.High
The guy you look up to
User Info.
Im so over the Black vs The White man bullshit. Come on, not an original concept at all. If anyone actually believes that Blacks are being held down by white people you need to get over your own spite, bias, and racism and educate yourself. I hate having to hear cuz I'm white I have an agenda and I 'owe' African-Americans. Come on now, it's so annoying. if anyone is being held back by the government it's a middle class, white male. We don't have any scholarships, affirmative action-esque, or any advantages. I've grown tired in hearing how being a white male I'm given shit. Fuck that, I earn what I get, i work, I go to school, I try not to break the law in serious ways. give me a fucking break. I heard the same shit from a black girls parents, who I use to date, all the time. Fuck that.

Chill

nice review
10:03 AM on 07/17/08
Sic Transit Zeb
User Info.
god damn. this post, along with your moving mountains avatar are two reasons why i love you.

haha H-Town represent.
10:03 AM on 07/17/08
Sic Transit Zeb
User Info.

yeah totally dude...420!
10:13 AM on 07/17/08
xobstacleonex
true blue hooligan since 2001
User Info.

if you think this is what the album is about, you're mistaken.

there's a song with a funeral for the word 'ni****'.
there's a song where he calls everyone a 'ni****'.

i think its quite the opposite of what you're thinking.

this album is easily not nas' best material, but its easily better than 95% of hip hop today.
11:20 AM on 07/17/08
Sic Transit Zeb
User Info.
if you think this is what the album is about, you're mistaken.

there's a song with a funeral for the word 'ni****'.
there's a song where he calls everyone a 'ni****'.

i think its quite the opposite of what you're thinking.

this album is easily not nas' best material, but its easily better than 95% of hip hop today.

It's not the opposite at all. A lot of the songs are about that. Which I hate. I do like this album.
12:14 PM on 07/17/08
liar23
Yo
User Info.
sweet review

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT