Password

Album Review

The Maine - Can't Stop, Won't Stop Album Cover

The Maine - Can't Stop, Won't Stop

Reviewed by
The Maine - Can't Stop Won't Stop
Record Label: Fearless Records
Release Date: July 8, 2008
I know, and we all know, that The Maine aren't going to do anything ground-breaking; they aren't going to change the face of the music. They are simply a fun-based music group that, to any outsider, may just seem very generic and trend-following. Taking off from their debut EP The Way We Talk, I wasn't expecting a whole lot from this album, but I was expecting to like it for what it was: an enjoyable album.

So, with that being said, Can't Stop, Won't Stop starts off with an exciting track titled "Everything I Ask For." This song is a great single for them to find a bunch of new fans. The lyrics are alright with a different storyline to it, however, the only part of this song I didn't like was when they stop the music and chant "Prada is what she wears" - it's cheesy and random to chant a line like that.

The next song, "We All Roll Along," is another terrific song with better lyrics. The chorus ("We're alive and we drive to the center of it / Where we know we're all fine and this just can't be it / And in the end we all know we only breathe for so long / So tonight's the night we all roll along") is extremely catchy and even though it's not exceptional, it corresponds beautifully with the music.

Then comes "Girls Do What They Want," which starts the lowest parts of the album. Even though the song itself isn't horrible, it is nothing compared to the previous songs. They have the generic chorus singing of "Whoa, whoa" with abysmal lyrics and just-plain-bad musicianship. After this song comes another dull one titled "I Must Be Dreaming," which is surrounded by cliché lyrics and instrumental work that never hits any highs. The next low-lying song, "Into Your Arms," continues my disappointment. Even though decent lyrics start it off, it's still covered by basically the same tone the two previous songs present. The following song, "Time to Go," just kept the landslide coming, but, thankfully, it's the last poor song of the album.

"This Is the End" is a great title, since it finally ended the typical songs and busts in with the line "But this time I feel like I'm doing something right," and The Maine certainly is. The piano and the guitar help the band get out of the slump before "Whoever She Is" starts with an acoustic-guitar strum pattern along with a great piano sound. Accompanied by wonderful lyrics, this song really surprised me of how quickly the band recovered from the sloppy middle section. The song ends with a small chill: "She could be rainy days, minimum wage / A book that ends with no last page / Whoever she is, whoever she may be / One thing's for sure, you don't have to worry."

"Count 'em One, Two, Three" is not as great lyrically and doesn't come across as highly original, but it is indeed a catchy little number. "Kiss and Sell" brings back some better lines such as, "The lights are all lost, there's no one around / We've both lost our minds, nowhere to be found / It's gettin' hot, I'm not saying this is hell / but I swear, this girl's a mess you could sell." "You Left Me," which oddly contains the generic "Whoa, whoa" in the lyrics, yet manages to make it fit is fast-paced and chock full of electronics, making it stand up on its own as one of the album's best tracks.

The album closes with the very nice "We'll All Be...," which is a pleasant note to end on. While the lyrics are a little generic, it is nonetheless one of the songs that sounds so much different from everything else on the record, giving it some separation from the whole thing.

For the most part, the album contains more heart than I thought it would. I never expected it to have the quality it contains and they've managed to give most of the songs their own individual feel, ith each one implementing a good-flowing storyline. Even though it is not a great album and nothing extremely creative, I see a lot of potential in them, which is what sets them apart from the rest of their genre. Don't give up on these dudes just yet.

Recommended if You LikeThe Audition, Motion City Soundtrack, Forever the Sickest Kids

myspace.com/themaine
This review is a user submitted review from sargentlgfuad. You can see all of sargentlgfuad's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4
12:35 AM on 07/22/08
birtcho
is...
User Info.
i love them album but we seem to like different songs haha. i love pretty much all of them but you left me and i havent got in to time to go and into ur arms as much as i have the others
02:54 PM on 07/30/08
brentkid
I am no king.
User Info.
Lyrics rating is too high.
11:58 PM on 10/07/08
tiffanyohhhh
Say Yes, Say Yes
User Info.
I dont know how i feel about this review

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News