AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

Albert Hammond Jr. - ¿Cómo Te Llama? Album Cover

Albert Hammond Jr. - ¿Cómo Te Llama?

Reviewed by
Albert Hammond Jr. - ¿Cómo Te Llama?
Record Label: RCA Records (USA) / Rough Trade Records (UK)
Release Date: July 7, 2008 (UK)
"Is this it ?" I asked myself after listening to Albert Hammond Jr.'s debut album Yours To Keep, an album that unexpectedly started Hammond's solo career while The Strokes were on hiatus. The disc had a simple approach with exceptional songs that made it a personal favorite of mine last year, but more than anything else, it showed the remarkable promise and skill Hammond has as a songwriter. The response to Yours To Keep must have made him realize where he and his songs could go, and ¿Cómo Te Llama? is the result.

¿Cómo Te Llama? ("What's Your Name?" if your Spanish is rusty) is the real arrival of Albert Hammond Jr. as a solo artist as it is a lot more of a focused effort this time around. "Bargain Of A Century" nicely opens the album with a good intro but the rest of the song is somewhat uneven. "In My Room," however, picks thing up nicely with one of the most catchy rock songs on ¿Cómo Te Llama?. "In My Room," along with the snappy "GfC," show off a new level of confidence of Hammond's musicianship with strong melodic guitar hooks and great arrangement. Though everything that was uneven with "Bargain Of A Century" was done completely right with "Lisa." Starting off with a excellent drum machine beat, The song does a great job juxtaposing majestic verses with a commanding chorus; "Lisa" has a charm to it that makes it a stand out track.

"Rocket," a heavily distorted song, works surprisingly well as a catchy song, but suffers from repetition. "Victory At Monterey" has a particular hypnotic bass line that might make Spoon a little jealous, as the groove of the song serves as a foundation, but never over-saturates the song itself. "You Won't Be Fooled By This" is an great ballad, that carries a haunted sense of sincerity; Hammond's vocals can sound a bit strained, but here it's done with a smooth and harmonious effect. "Spooky Couch," a 7-minute long instrumental, is brave song considering it's always a risk doing something like that - especially on a rock album - but rather than be an obstacle, it's a significant moment on the album; the song echoes like a soundtrack to an aquatic dream. Though it's mostly quiet, "Spooky Couch" feels like a big song that ends with a fantastic orchestral finish. Some could think it drags the album, but you have to appreciate the effort.

There are some songs that could have been left off in favor of a more cohesive album. But even so, the songs are still good but just require a little digging to find what's appealing about each one. "Borrowed Time" shows off a reggae influence while sounding like a track off of the Strokes' Room on Fire. "Miss Myrtle" has an light and easy atmosphere with a charming vocal delivery; "Feed Me Jack or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love Peter Sellers" has got to be one of the best names for a song I've ever heard, but doesn't quite live up to the imagination of it's track title. The song is nicely narrated like the end of a bedtime story, but looses it's luster towards the end; the song is a good, but muddled, end to ¿Como Te Llama?.

The second album by Albert Hammond Jr. has built upon the feelings I had when I heard Yours To Keep. While it doesn't have the same impact, ¿Cómo Te Llama? does an amazing job at being a catchy and sincere rock album with inventive songs at all of the right spots. As interest in a new Strokes album keeps building as more time passes on, the impression Hammond's music has made should not be looked over. "Is this it ?" I once asked myself - I sincerely hope not.

Recommended if You LikeThe Strokes, Vampire Weekend, Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, Buddy Holly, Guided by Voices

myspace.com/alberthammondjr
This review is a user submitted review from WarpSpeedChewy. You can see all of WarpSpeedChewy's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 9 of 9
12:21 PM on 07/20/08
thedondeluge
We are Beggars all.
User Info.
that album cover is copying Portugal. The Man's Waiter:"You Vultures.
12:23 PM on 07/20/08
thedondeluge
We are Beggars all.
User Info.
and I like the music video for one of the songs off of this album.
10:53 AM on 07/21/08
Adrian Villagomez
My Little Runaway
User Info.
That's an impressive RIYL.
10:41 PM on 07/21/08
WarpSpeedChewy
You know Elvis had a twin brother?
User Info.
and I like the music video for one of the songs off of this album.
The vidoe for "GfC". Yeah it's a great video. One of the better performance videoes I've seen in a while.

That's an impressive RIYL.
Hopefully that's a compliment. I can see elements of each of those bands on the album so that's why I included it.
10:47 PM on 07/21/08
Adrian Villagomez
My Little Runaway
User Info.
The vidoe for "GfC". Yeah it's a great video. One of the better performance videoes I've seen in a while.

Hopefully that's a compliment. I can elements of each of those bands on the album so that's why I included it.
It's a compliment from you to the band for sure.
10:52 PM on 07/21/08
WarpSpeedChewy
You know Elvis had a twin brother?
User Info.
It's a compliment from you to the band for sure.
That's a nice sentiment. Hopefully it'll bring more people into listening to the album.
01:20 AM on 07/22/08
eHaMpToN
can't kill what's inside.
User Info.
good read, i feel AHJ is really coming out of his shell with this one. "The Boss Americana" is my favorite track on the disc.
01:47 PM on 07/22/08
ericsounds41
User Info.
Good review.. better than the other one about this album.. I personally loved it..

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos