Password

Album Review

Pale Moon Gang - Pale Moon Gang Album Cover

Pale Moon Gang - Pale Moon Gang

Reviewed by
Pale Moon Gang - Pale Moon Gang
Record Label: Fast Loose Records
Release Date: September 27, 2006
When listening to an album from a band I’ve never heard of before, I feel it is important not to make any assumptions about the people playing the music. However, this can sometimes be a fairly difficult thing to accomplish. For example, it was extremely difficult for me to continue listening to Pale Moon Gang’s album when, three songs into it, it gave me the strong impression this album was made solely in an attempt to become successful.

At this point I would normally toss the album aside and move on. However, that would be irresponsible on my part as I planned on writing a review on it. So I sat through the entirety of the album. I did so again a few days later, and so on. I am also currently listening to it while I write this. And, to be blunt, I can not wait until I finish with this review so I can move on to my next, much more promising, album.

Alright, so, I guess I should describe what they sound like for the people still reading this. Pale Moon Gang are, I suppose, what would be called a rock band. Except they are missing one slightly important aspect of being a rock band. They, quite simply, do not rock. Their music strains to break free from the languid vocals of Richard Dev Greene they are unfortunately bound to.

Not that Greene is a poor vocalist; his voice is actually quite good, but unfortunately he never seems to push them. It just sounds so safe, like he is afraid he’ll offend someone if he speeds things up a bit or raises his voice too much. It almost seems like he is trying to enunciate his words perfectly so everyone is able to play along. In fact, it is often apparent that the music itself slows down to parallel his voice.

One thing that can be said about this style is the listener has no problem discerning the lyrics. Unfortunately, that is not exactly a good thing with this album. The band seems much more concerned with rhyming their lyrics than working on the content of them. It got so bad I could more or less guess what the next line of their song would be just by hearing the word they were going to rhyme it with. This speaks volumes when coming from someone who has never attempted to write lyrics in their life.

Pale Moon Gang are a diet rock band with lazy lyrics. That can’t be it. There must be something else to their music, right? Well, uh, they do have handclaps, lots and lots of handclaps. But that’s pretty much it. So, rather than take the music world by its throat and forcibly gaining their listeners respect, Pale Moon Gang seem to be looking for a hug with a look on their face which screams “Please accept me.” And my answer to them is no, Pale Moon Gang, I do not accept you. Come back when you grow a pair. Maybe then we will talk.

Recommended if You Likeany rock band found on mainstream radio

myspace.com/palemoongang
This review is a user submitted review from llmp. You can see all of llmp's submitted reviews here.

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version