AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
A Coastline Ending - In the Name of Progression... Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 6.75
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 6.75
Production 9
Creativity 5.5
Lasting Value 6.25
Reviewer Tilt 6
Final Verdict: 69%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.89
Musicianship 8.69
Lyrics 8.72
Production 8.92
Creativity 8.81
Lasting Value 8.92
Reviewer Tilt 8.81
Average: 88%
Inside AP.net

A Coastline Ending - In the Name of Progression...

Reviewed by: Chris Fallon (07/23/08)
A Coastline Ending - In The Name of Progression...
Record Label: Not Alone Records
Release Date: July 15, 2008

In The Name of Progression... is quite a ballsy title to slap across your debut album, especially when you claim your band is “for fans of Saosin and Scary Kids Scaring Kids,” two bands not making incredibly large strides in the creative circuit when it comes to rock music. However, six-piece Connecticut outfit A Coastline Ending does have the confidence to bolster such an intriguing album title, even if it fails to live up to such potential.

Producer Chris Badami (The Early November, The Starting Line) establishes the band’s multi-layered sound by emphasizing Aaron Meadows’ vocals, which lie somewhere in between Stephan Christian’s (Anberlin) and Aaron Gillespie (The Almost/Underoath). Meadows has a voice that promises big things on most tracks but don’t always quite deliver in spots where it promises to soar (“Breakdown”), and it can be troublesome as his voice is the centerpiece of the album. Even though A Coastline Ending are striving to be creating emotive alt-pop like Circa Survive and Anberlin, it can sometimes be rather distracting (see: “First Impression”) and Meadows seems as if he is trying all too hard to be Saosin vocalist Cove Reber (the acoustic misstep “So Many Faces”).

When the band lays off the synthesizers, they sound their best. With the guitars turned way up and the background noise left to a minimum, the songs breathe a life of their own and sound fantastic (“Subconscious Walls”). Guitarist Matt Schaff provides plenty of ample shredding on select tracks to take focus away from Meadows’ vocals and the more obnoxious keyboard parts that simply take away from a promising debut. Schaff, however, is not the best counterpart for Meadows’ pipes, and when the two compete in dual vocal matches, it sounds like outtakes from the Rocky Horror Picture Show (“Face the Music”).

To call A Coastline Ending progressive would be a bit much; it’s far too easy to get distracted by the fact they are imitating better bands (“Acrobat” sounds like a Circa Survive b-side with new vocals). Meadows is confident and not a terrible vocalist, however, he appears to be reaching for something he can’t fully give his listeners (again, “Acrobat” showcases he indeed has limits). The keyboards are also too much - with six musicians here, all providing something, it’s too easy to have the sound become messy and diverts attention away from everything else at play.

So perhaps, in the name of progression, A Coastline Ending should take a step back and reexamine where they want to take their sound. It simply appears as if there is too much the band is going for and is unable to attain, no matter how much conviction they exude. For a debut album, maybe they should have grounded themselves just a tad and worked on progression the next time around.

Recommended if You LikeSaosin, Circa Survive (without Anthony Green) and The Almost
Choice Cuts"Breakdown," "Subconscious Walls" and "Brave the Tide"

Tracklist1. Made By Machine
2. Breakdown
3. First Impression
4. Subconscious Walls
5. Face the Music
6. So Many Faces
7. Brave the Tide
8. Acrobat
9. In The Name of Progression...
10. On Sacred Wings
BandAaron Meadows - lead vocals
Matt Schaff - guitar/vocals
Kyle Ernst - bass
LJ Bunker - drums
Brian Hadsell - guitar
Cyrus Thomas-Walker - keyboards

Online VitalsOfficial Site | Official Myspace
PurchaseSmartPunk

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 22.
02:31 AM on 07/23/08
Khaos
Can I Save Myself?
User Info.
One of the few bands from CT doing anything. I almost auditioned for them but they weren't my style.
06:18 AM on 07/23/08
MikeJCotugno
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
fucking horrible. im listening on their myspace right now. if this is one of the few bands from CT doing anything, then no band in CT should do anything.
08:20 AM on 07/23/08
underthetalking
La Marea Roja
User Info.
The CT scene is completely dead.

These guys have been around for quite a while too.
08:32 AM on 07/23/08
NortyCore
User Info.
first off, im so happy to see ACE finally putting this out. theyve been working so hard to get this cd right.

next, it depends on what scene your talking about. grant it, most of the bands are garbage now but its good to see that bands are springing up all over the place in ct now. the punk scene is growing along with the metal/hardcore scene. youve got A Coastline Ending and Signal The Escape putting out full lengths. its a start. hopefully others begin to follow. check out Elotheos, Juan Es The Thief, and Silhouttes for some new CT talent.
09:22 AM on 07/23/08
asteria
My job sucks more than yours.
User Info.
theres not many bands really getting far in CT.

it's hard here haha.

these guys are pretty decent. one of the good ones from CT.

check out lovers and thieves, too tall grizzly, it's called the sun, the brightest, and to write a riot if you want some other decent ct music.
09:52 AM on 07/23/08
HelpMeSleep
fuck what you know.
User Info.
Good review.

I'm listening to them on their myspace right now and they're alright... not anything I'd buy though.
12:30 PM on 07/23/08
TheOtherAndrew
Fuck Armageddon, This is HFIL
User Info.
Originally Posted by Chris Fallon
In The Name of Progression... is quite a ballsy title to slap across your debut album, especially when you claim your band is “for fans of Saosin and Scary Kids Scaring Kids,” two bands not making incredibly large strides in the creative circuit when it comes to rock music.
Quoted for sexy.
01:34 PM on 07/23/08
slizzabef
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Everybody has their own opinion, and I truly believe that A Coastline Ending has what it takes to become something big. They knew what they were doing when they 'slapped' "In The Name of Progression" across their debut album, and are living up to that potential the best they can. The ACEboyz are some of the best people I know, and have the highest determination to get where they are wanting to go. The album blows me away, with the amount of time they had to record, and you'd be making a mistake if you didnt buy the CD. (:

GO BUY IT! <3 nownownowwww.
03:02 PM on 07/23/08
kaliiiixo
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i'm listening to them right this second. and i love them. obviously one of my favorites. (: theyre from vernon ct, and so am i. i actually think thyre cd is really good, and i'm getting it soon. everyone else should buy the cd too, cause thyre one of the only things making the CT music scene good.
03:20 PM on 07/23/08
punkrawkgoddess
User Info.
This album is definitely good. This site likes to shit-talk though.
04:06 PM on 07/23/08
Barto1127
The Man
User Info.
This band was completely lost one year ago, and for them to pull of what they're doing now is great. I dig the album and the majority of the tracks on there.

Regarding Aaron's vocals and "too many" layers, I agree that there are spots where Aaron is trying to do too much and sing too much. However, I wouldn't go on to say that he is reaching for something that he can't do. A more simple lyrical layout would be in an improvement, to let his voice be able to soar, like at the end of Face The Music. Also, Aaron is the only one with vocals on the album, and Brian is the lead guitarist. The only parts that truly bug me are the cheesy synth stuff that are in a couple of their jams.

Knowing the band for some time, this album actually surpassed expectations I had of them. These guys are good at what they do, and their catchy pop tunes may catch a lot of listeners very soon.

I'd say Acrobat is my favorite track by far, and that 8 of their tracks have some incredibly catchy part to them. I'm not a big fan of the genre, but I find myself listening to this album a lot.

Definitely something to check out if you're looking for a new band to listen to.
04:48 PM on 07/23/08
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
This album is definitely good. This site likes to shit-talk though.
Yeah, because I was totally "shit talking" - it's a review, alright sweetheart? It is my job to be honest with my opinion about an album. Perhaps you're unfamiliar with the concept of an album review, but you have to leave your bias at the door. If I gave out 85 and 90%'s to every band I reviewed because I didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings, we'd have a real problem with how people saw my critique. I am quite proud of this review, I stand by it and it really bothers me to think a review that not once talks shit on this band is labeled so by some no-name who clearly thinks we have issues here at the site but continues to support us.
04:54 PM on 07/23/08
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
This band was completely lost one year ago, and for them to pull of what they're doing now is great. I dig the album and the majority of the tracks on there.

Regarding Aaron's vocals and "too many" layers, I agree that there are spots where Aaron is trying to do too much and sing too much. However, I wouldn't go on to say that he is reaching for something that he can't do. A more simple lyrical layout would be in an improvement, to let his voice be able to soar, like at the end of Face The Music. Also, Aaron is the only one with vocals on the album, and Brian is the lead guitarist. The only parts that truly bug me are the cheesy synth stuff that are in a couple of their jams.

Knowing the band for some time, this album actually surpassed expectations I had of them. These guys are good at what they do, and their catchy pop tunes may catch a lot of listeners very soon.

I'd say Acrobat is my favorite track by far, and that 8 of their tracks have some incredibly catchy part to them. I'm not a big fan of the genre, but I find myself listening to this album a lot.

Definitely something to check out if you're looking for a new band to listen to.
In my press kit, it says Matt is the co-vocalist/lead guitarist so maybe they changed it since? I just go by the material I have with me. Aaron's voice has it's superb moments and then moments that (for me) feel like he's singing notes he can't quite hit as well as he should. And I agree with the synth - that took me out of some of the songs; completely unnecessary.

I do appreciate your input and respect your opinion so thank you.
07:41 PM on 07/23/08
wroteurname
Registered Loser
User Info.

Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests