AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: Feelings Mutual, The - 07.23.08

The Feelings Mutual - 07.23.08

Interviewed by
The Feelings Mutual - 07.23.08What is your name and what do you do you play?
Brandon: I have many names, my favorite is Brandon. I play a bunch of crazy shit, but have been told recently to focus on the bass guitar.

Describe your music for those who aren’t familiar with you?
Brandon: It’s an intellectual temper tantrum. It’s looking distinguished as you poop your pants. No matter how mature we try to sound, our love for 90’s rock and roll always seems to shine bright. Forgive us; the shit we grew up on is really hard to kick.

How did the band get together?
Brandon: I got together with Jordan first, if you know what I mean…Then we both got together with Eric, who was a boy we met off the internet, I think it was like eHarmony or something…Off hand I don’t recall. Our affair began a year ago and we have been “together” ever since.

Tell us a little bit about your EP.
Brandon: It has been printed on some type of disk that seems to be pretty compact. It is circular in shape in a square case which really shakes up the stigma about those two shapes being associated with each other. It has 5 songs that we truly love and had such a blast recording. We are very proud of it. It’s like a son to me.

When are you guys planning to release a full length?
Brandon: We are hoping on early next year, provided the winter conditions are appropriate. We are writing, and cutting, a ton of songs and are actually heading into the studio in the very near future. I drive a 4runner so I really hope the studio is near my house, because of the fuel crisis, and my poverty crisis.

Any interest from labels yet? Or are you guys planning to go DIY for as long as you can?
Brandon: We are muthafucking signed to Death Row, homie. Sike! Oh snap! We are working with Ares records right now; they helped make this EP happen and are ready to start working with us on the full length. I’d say things are pretty good right now.

What is the song “Ring Me Out” about?
Brandon: Jordan had this t-shirt. It was his favorite t-shirt in the whole world. I forget who gave it to him, but it’s not important. If you listen you will see how the song is referring to an amusement park trip with his adult school. They all went on one of those big ass log rides. When it was over, his favorite t-shirt had been thouroughly soaked. To this day Jordan still has dreams of his t-shirt begging him to “Ring me out…

What has been your greatest accomplishment so far being in the band? And the worse?
Brandon: I don’t know about greatest accomplishments. I really love playing shows for new fans and friends. That is very rewarding. I’d say my worst accomplishment would have to be drinking a couple beers and milkshake before a show at the knitting factory; I farted so bad that I pretty much shit my pants. That milkshake did not bring all the boys to the yard.

Have you guys been out on tour yet? If so, what was it like? Was it everything you expect it to be?
Brandon: Our first few shows were out on a road trip. We had pretty good opportunity to play a party for Purevolume at South by Southwest in Austin, TX. We played our first show at the Troubadour in West Hollywood, and then we hit the road. We played in Phoenix, El Paso and then SXSW. Then we drove home. We love being on the road. We have made a few good little runs since then; we are concentrating our focus regionally and look forward to expanding our reach.

Plans for the rest of 2008?
Brandon: I plan on writing as much as possible for the upcoming full length. I plan on rocking as hard as possible, even when it’s really hot and my sweat glands are acting up. I plan on using a sanitary butt napkin in every public restroom when I have to go number two. I hope the plan calls for some touring promote the EP a bit. Hopefully my plan does not include any type of painful death or seizure. I will also make some food and eat it; this is all a part of my plan.

Have you guys been writing new songs?
Brandon: I made a song yesterday. I called it cream-sicko. It is about a guy disturbingly obsessed with 50-50 bars. I took a lot of musical inspiration from one of my favorite San Diego bands, Pinback. The chorus is victorious chanting of: “ WHITE…..ORANGE, WHITE…..ORANGE.” You’d have to hear it. I cried writing it.

What are your favorite and least favorite parts of being in a band?
Brandon: My most favorite is hanging out with two other dudes all day. My least favorite is all the tons of crazy poon that gets tossed my way.

What are some of your favorite bands of all time?
Brandon: Modest Mouse, Nirvana, Captain Geech and The Shrimp Shack Shooters, The Oneders, Dinosaur Jr, Pinback, Three Mile Pilot, The Smashing Pumkins, Queen, Sunny Day Real Estate, The Shins, Poopy K and His Band of Stanky Doo-Doo’s… The list goes on and on.

What are some of your hobbies other than music?
Brandon: I like to twist up a doobie and take a rocket ride to a far out paradise. Then I get the munchies and eat a whole box of wheat thins.

What are you ultimate goals in life?
Brandon: To be the first president of the whole world. I want to be the most powerful president ever in the world. It would be like I was a king of a country, but it would be for all of the countries and the planets.

What are their favorite albums of 2008 so far?
Brandon: Anything by Rhianna or Ne-Yo is hot for me right now.

Any last words for the readers of absolutepunk?
Brandon: I am in love with every one of you.

Check out The Feeling's Mutual myspace here.

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4
01:17 PM on 07/28/08
whothehellru171
User Info.
haha i love this guys sarcasm. fucking sweet. the ep wasn't bad either.
02:13 PM on 07/28/08
khb
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
haha yeah this dude is funny! i love the EP its really good...
05:18 PM on 07/28/08
flint
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
cool band! thanks AP for featuring these guys...

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos