Password

Album Review
Charlotte Sometimes - Waves and the Both of Us Album Cover

Charlotte Sometimes - Waves and the Both of Us

Reviewed by
Charlotte Sometimes - Waves and the Both of Us
Record Label: Geffen Records
Release Date: May 6, 2008
Female alternative artists have always been a bit of a mystery to me. While they are no rarity in the world of pop, artists like Lilly Allen or Kate Nash donít quite fit that description. They have a pop sensibility but enough edge to avoid the classification. After the success of Lilly Allenís single ďSmileĒ waves and waves of this artists have started to pop up. The likes of the aforementioned Kate Nash and the newer Katy Perry are two of the more popular ones. Emerging from the underground is another artist that fits this description almost perfectly: Charlotte Sometimes has the next big act written all over her. Sheís mad at every man in the world and isnít afraid to show that.

With all of the other artists flooding this genre, it takes more than just talent to break through; the artists need to have something that separates them from other singers. I find that Lilly Allen and Kate Nash separate themselves with their straightforward, first-person lyrics. Charlotte Sometimes uses her slightly more unique voice to separate herself. She has a certain folk-ish tinge to it that is make or break for many people; itís an acquired taste. The biggest problem that I have with her voice is that, at times, it feels like she is trying too hard to change her pitch. The choruses of many of the songs feel awkward because of this.

The musicianship on this album is extremely simple for the most part. A lot of the songs donít stray past a simple acoustic guitar, and many of the intros to the songs feel forced and out of place. The guitar is just a little too quick at times and subsequently throws the entire song off. Even with these minor quirks, she is differing herself from some of these other artists which is a step in the right direction.

Many will probably overlook this release, and Charlotte Sometimes will probably be written off as another one of the generic female artists. To some extent itís deserves this: she doesnít do much to pull herself away from the pack. This release simply isnít unique enough to make much of a difference in todayís already-cluttered music scene.

Recommended if You LikeLilly Allen, Kate Nash, Katy Perry

myspace.com/charlottesometimes
This review is a user submitted review from hockeyguitar99. You can see all of hockeyguitar99's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 23
10:05 AM on 08/04/08
PermanentTourists
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
How about try this review again and actually talk about her not just Lily Allen and Kate Nash. Just a thought. You dont mention anything about her songs barely at all. This was a great record and she is so bad ass. And she must be doing something right seeing as she has hit every date on Warped Tour...Hmm
12:36 PM on 08/04/08
hockeyguitar99
Prison Strength
User Info.
How about try this review again and actually talk about her not just Lily Allen and Kate Nash. Just a thought. You dont mention anything about her songs barely at all. This was a great record and she is so bad ass. And she must be doing something right seeing as she has hit every date on Warped Tour...Hmm

Pretending that the last 2 1/2 paragraphs aren't there really doesn't help you. Just because she has been on every day on warped doesn't mean a thing.

EDIT: I'll also let go how grammatically incorrect and contradictory the second sentence was, and it's an opinion, so while you might think it's a great record, I don't.
01:02 PM on 08/06/08
liar23
Yo
User Info.
I actually this album. the review, meh
01:25 PM on 08/06/08
jackalt12
User Info.

EDIT: I'll also let go how grammatically incorrect and contradictory the second sentence was

Kids, if you are going to rip each other's grammar, please make sure yours is up to par in the first place (especially if you wrote the review).

Quote:
Charlotte Sometimes use her slightly more unique voice to separate herself.

Quote:
it feels like she is trying to hard to change her pitch.

Oh, and this band is awesome.
01:53 PM on 08/06/08
hockeyguitar99
Prison Strength
User Info.
Kids, if you are going to rip each other's grammar, please make sure yours is up to par in the first place (especially if you wrote the review).

Oh, and this band is awesome.

Fair enough, I ran it through multiple grammar checks and re-read it myself, and then submitted it to the sites staff to approve, but I will change those, thank you.
01:55 PM on 08/06/08
jackalt12
User Info.
Fair enough, I ran it through multiple grammar checks and re-read it myself, and then submitted it to the sites staff to approve, but I will change those, thank you.
And kudos for writing reviews when you're 15, I'd never have had to balls to post my writing on a site this large at your age, badass.
01:57 PM on 08/06/08
hockeyguitar99
Prison Strength
User Info.
And kudos for writing reviews when you're 15, I'd never have had to balls to post my writing on a site this large at your age, badass.

Thanks man.
08:26 PM on 08/06/08
katieissweet
@katelyndonahue
User Info.
I can not get into this at all.
02:51 PM on 09/26/08
EvaMore
-
User Info.
I love this album.
08:54 AM on 01/16/09
denissuxx
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Really like this album :)
08:16 PM on 08/05/09
Dymytry Vance
Fuck Relient K!
User Info.
I actually this album. the review, meh
I actually this album?

WTF does that mean?
08:17 PM on 08/05/09
Dymytry Vance
Fuck Relient K!
User Info.
I can not get into this at all.
I'm sorry to inform you of this fact, but cannot is one word not two.
08:18 PM on 08/05/09
liar23
Yo
User Info.
I actually this album?

WTF does that mean?
for catching an error 1 year after it was done.
08:20 PM on 08/05/09
Dymytry Vance
Fuck Relient K!
User Info.
for catching an error 1 year after it was done.
No I'm serious what the fuck does that mean? And I'm sorry that not everyone has been on this site for a year and a half.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos