AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Finch - Finch EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.75
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 7.5
Production 8
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 7.75
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 82%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.6
Musicianship 8.77
Lyrics 8.15
Production 8.31
Creativity 8.44
Lasting Value 8.48
Reviewer Tilt 8.62
Average: 85%
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.

Finch - Finch EP

Reviewed by: Drew Beringer (07/30/08)
Finch - Finch EP
Release Date: July 22, 2008
Record Label: None

“Just when I thought you couldn't get any dumber, you go and do something like this... and totally redeem yourself!” – Harry Dunne

When you saw the link to my Finch review, you probably thought to yourself, “oh, Drew will probably talk about how Say Hello To Sunshine alienated so many fans and in some way was a cause to the band initially breaking up, blah, blah, blah.” But I will do no such thing, instead I fooled you with a Dumb and Dumber quote! Just like that adventure Harry Dunne and Lloyd Christmas made cross-country to return that briefcase (Samsonite! I was way off! I knew it started with an S, though.), Finch’s journey has been one of up’s and down’s. But the California quintet (Hmmm, California! Beautiful!) have fought through all their adversity to release the best Finch material to date.

“Daylight” starts with frenzied as vocalist Nate Barcalow begins with a scream similar to what started off “What It Is To Burn.” Randy “R2K” Strohmeyer and Alex Linares lead the charge with frantic chords, as it hits just as hard as a cork pegging an owl. “Famine or Disease” draws us back into the Sunshine vibe, but with better delivery, although it's my least favorite track.

“From Hell” features heavy chords and solid drumming as it showcases Barcalow’s strong vocals. The chorus definitely gives off an Incubus Make Yourself kind of vibe, though this is not a bad thing. The EP closes out with the nearly seven minute long “Chinese Organ Thieves,” an ambitious song that the band pulls off well. It takes all the elements of their previous work, mashes them up with some new ideas, and results in one of the best songs the band have ever written. A needling guitar riff paces the pounding rhythm section of drummer Drew Marcogliese and bassist Daniel Wonacott, as the climatic ending of group “ahh-ohh’s” and Barcalow’s static screaming completes this return to glory.

This self-titled EP showcases what Finch aimed to accomplish on their last album. And with their new release in over 3 years, Finch have taken that progression and fine-tuned it into something divided fans can all agree on. Granted it is only four songs, but it’s reassuring to know that after their indefinite hiatus, they were able to come back strong. Thankfully Finch traded in the van and got us this nice, sleek scooter. Hopefully, it’ll be able to take them to an even greater destination musically that’s higher than the Rocky Mountains (My hands are starting to get sweaty).

Additional InformationTrack Listing:
1. Daylight
2. Famine or Disease
3. From Hell
4. Chinese Organ Thieves

Finch are:
Nate Barcalow – vocals
Randy “R2K” Strohmeyer – guitar/vocals
Alex Linares – guitar/vocals
Drew Marcogliese – drums/percussion
Daniel Wonacott – bass/vocals

Buy the EP here at

Official WebsiteOfficial Myspace; Official AP.net Profile

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 77
02:34 AM on 07/30/08
xglassjawx
Sergio Georgini
User Info.
Nice. I like it.

I loved SHTS to pieces and I think this sounds a lot like it but just a little more toned down and more listenable.
03:27 AM on 07/30/08
fadedmemories
You'd be good for me
User Info.
Quote:
Thankfully Finch traded in the van and got us this nice, sleek scooter.

nice review
05:26 AM on 07/30/08
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
Not a fan of this EP at all. Not sure if I have outgrown the band or if it is just plain bad.
05:30 AM on 07/30/08
sowrongitsjack
Framework
User Info.
chinese organ thieves is my favorite finch song to date
05:32 AM on 07/30/08
probe1979
User Info.
I think its good... i was expecting less.. but this EP was really good, for me its like a mix between What is to Burn and SHTS
05:37 AM on 07/30/08
Provision
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
EP is the shit, I love this band to death... Famine or Disease is one of my fav tracks on the album too
05:42 AM on 07/30/08
revshortstuf
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
not clever dumb and dumber references at all.
05:44 AM on 07/30/08
TooLateF0rRoses
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Ok this got in the 80s and The Classic Crime got low 70s... wow. You have your numbers mixed up or something?
06:00 AM on 07/30/08
slimfenix182
Registered Member
User Info.
chinese organ thieves is the shit. alkaline trio is the only band that gets more undeserved hate than finch. if you dont like em, dont listen. simple, huh?
06:17 AM on 07/30/08
Aphasia17
Koi No Yokan
User Info.
chinese organ thieves is the shit. alkaline trio is the only band that gets more undeserved hate than finch. if you dont like em, dont listen. simple, huh?

So true, man. So true. Anyway, this EP is fantastic. The two main things that stood out to me were Nate's lyrics (better than ever, I think) and the insane drumming. Now everyone can see that Finch is back and better than ever!
06:38 AM on 07/30/08
sevinw0rds
Polyrhythms!
User Info.
This is a great band, and I'm unapologetic about my love for Say Hello to Sunshine (say what you want, but they had balls for pulling a 180 after such a catchy debut), but this EP has yet to grow on me. I love "From Hell" though.

And a reference to Petey would have sent this review over the top.
06:57 AM on 07/30/08
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
not clever dumb and dumber references at all.
was not trying to be clever just having some fun
07:23 AM on 07/30/08
tommyhaych
Mayor West
User Info.
Quote:
And with their new release in over 3 years..

I find it funny that inbetween their last release (June 7th 2005) theyve split up, gotten back together and released a new cd independantly, yet since Houston Calls' last release (Short Stories - Aug 2nd 2005), Drive Thru have managed to do fuck all for them.

Good times!
07:26 AM on 07/30/08
thebarrelboy
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Not a fan of this EP at all. Not sure if I have outgrown the band or if it is just plain bad.

It's entirely possible that both are true
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums