Password

Album Review

The Hatch - Run Album Cover

The Hatch - Run

Reviewed by
The Hatch - Run
Record Label: None
Release Date: October 16, 2007
Pop-rock. Too many times, people run for the hills as soon as someone says it. They make outlandish statements that donít help anyone, they bash it for the sake of bashing it. I would never argue that the genre is among the more generic, but not all of the bands fall to the side. There are many that manage to make entertaining and catchy music. While it isnít something that I would say is innovative, it can be fun to listen to and entertaining for at least a little bit. The Hatch are one of the bands that manage to make good pop-rock.

As I said, they arenít very creative; they wonít change anyoneís opinion on this genre. What they can do is give a pop-rock fan something new to listen to. They make listenable music thatís catchy. In this genre in todayís industry, thatís nothing special. However, some do it better than the rest, and The Hatch have the potential to be one of those bands.

The lyrics are definitely the low point of this album. While some come off as mildly intelligent, it feels like they throw around bigger words to make them sound more like more intelligent lyricists. The words really donít fit right with the sound or the song. Vocally, however, they impress at most times. He doesnít have the most unique voice of all time, but it is better than a lot of their genres bands. At times it feels awkward, much like the lyrics, but he has a very good pop voice, nothing more and nothing less. Musically, they donít stray far from the typical; the one thing that caught my attention was their use of a synthesizer. Most bands blare it so that it takes the center stage. The Hatch use a quieter and more diluted version that is much easier on the ears.

In the end this is a good pop-rock EP. Where it lacks in creativity and lyrical style, the catchy sound and feel of this EP partially make up for it. If this band can step up the creativity, they have a good chance of breaking out from the norm of this genre. They seem to have the talent, hopefully the experience will shoot them up to the next level.

Recommended if You Likepop-rock, summer, bands that you wish people didn't know you enjoyed, Jack's Mannequin

myspace.com/thehatchmusic
This review is a user submitted review from hockeyguitar99. You can see all of hockeyguitar99's submitted reviews here.

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version