Password

Album Review

Health - Disco Album Cover

Health - Disco

Reviewed by
HEALTH - DISCO
Record Label: Lovepump United
Release Date: May 27, 2008
I am firmly convinced that remix albums are made for the express purpose of the humiliation of people like me. I occasionally listen to remixes of my favorite artists (within reason), but they clearly were not made for people who cannot dance, myself definitely included. While I enjoy checking out the dance-worthy remixes of certain artists and dance along in the privacy of my own home to my hearts content, I don’t think the world is quite yet ready to handle my flashy dance moves and I am sure there are plenty of other people out there who share similar views. HEALTH’s DISCO is a remix album featuring the reworking of tracks found on the band’s impressive 2007 self-titled debut.

While listening to the contained chaos of HEALTH’s debut, I began to wonder how a remix album of these songs would sound and if it would even be possible. Most artists that are given the remix treatment already have songs that are conducive to the remixing process, so the idea of HEALTH songs undergoing this process was an interesting idea. However, while I was expecting a few well done remixes and a few shoddy ones, most of the remixes on this album are pretty solid. If you are an avid blog follower, it is pretty much guaranteed you have already heard Crystal Castles’ glitchy take on “Crimewave”. This song not only charted on the UK singles chart, but it exposed HEALTH to a wider audience, and has already begun to inspire fans submitting videos of them dancing along to the track on youtube.

However, as good as the “Crimewave” remix is, it is a shame that all of the other remixes seem to dwell in its shadow and get relatively little mention. Pictureplane’s remix of “Lost Time” keeps some elements of the original, but switches out the steady more conventional rock drumming for tribal drum beats and accentuates the hypnotic trance inducing chants a little more. The track begins and ends with those familiar sounds, but the middle finds artist making the track their own largely getting rid of the original track’s elements. “Problem Is”, the Thrust Lab remix, makes me feel nostalgic every time it comes on because it sounds eerily similar to the background music of the many SEGA games I spent too many hours playing years ago.

HEALTH’s DISCO is the perfect album to pick up if you are looking for another CD to add to your listening rotation the next time you throw a party or it can easily be listened to as a stand alone album. While the album was an enjoyable listen and many of the remixes garnered more listens in my stereo than I expected, I still find myself reaching for the band’s self-titled record far more often. This album may attract some new fans who are only interested in the remixed versions of HEALTH’s work, but hopefully a few of those new fans will also listen to the self-titled and enjoy it just as much.

RIYLAny of the remixers who contributed to the album, HEALTH

Standout Tracks "Crimewave", "Lost Time" (Pictureplane RMX), and "Heaven" (Narctrax RMX)

ListenMyspace
This review is a user submitted review from Rich Duncan. You can see all of Rich Duncan's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4
01:20 AM on 08/01/08
User Info.
I think I like this better then the acutal album it spawned from.

Anyways, amazing band.
07:17 AM on 08/01/08
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
hahaha, love the first paragraph!
07:51 AM on 08/01/08
jonnyalmagest
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I'm not positive I would throw it on for a party, but a know a few people who would really enjoy this album. Personally I haven't gotten through the self-titled, but spent a few hours listening to DISCO on repeat. Good call on the Pictureplane remix, it's definitely my favorite.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos