AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Radius System - Escape/Restart Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 7
Production 9.25
Creativity 8.75
Lasting Value 8.75
Reviewer Tilt 9.25
Final Verdict: 84%
Member Ratings
Vocals 10
Musicianship 10
Lyrics 9
Production 10
Creativity 10
Lasting Value 10
Reviewer Tilt 10
Average: 99%

Radius System - Escape/Restart

Reviewed by: Susan Frances (08/19/08)
Radius System - Escape/Restart
Record Label: Lost Children
Release Date: May 5, 2008

Radius System have put together an album that is not only sonically expressive, but it is accompanied by conceptual visuals made by the band’s bass guitarist Axel and lead singer/guitarist/electronics wizard Greg. Their album, Escape/Restart is available for free download here. Some intel about what is in store are the winged layers of electro-industrial sounds consuming the band’s shafts, and ominous cloud clusters reminiscent of Nine Inch Nails. The brightness of the band’s symphonic impulses are reflective of the space rock requiems from Delerium. The songs are abstract but installed with a hardcore/industrial/prog rock sonar that erects tiers of spacey sound rays and generates a Rammstein-like fury and release.

The band recorded and mixed the tracks at Feels Like Home Studio in the Ile-de-France which is the region most people know as Paris. And yes, Radius System are from France, but you will hear stalks of industrial metal and ambient rock that may remind you of many German and British bands. This is a giant leap for these Frenchmen who are making music with a more inclusive sound than most French bands explore. The peaks and valleys through “Release Chemicals” is a churning sieve of sonic rays that alternate between being static and whip-lashing like a torpedo shooting through a funnel. The song is sliced in different sections making way for episodes of lows and crescendos equipped with smashing cymbals that radiate huge gusts of energy. The ambient passages of “Best Sellers” are more loose-limbed and relaxing with a light vault stilting the beats. The song is personified in the visual that Axel Dallou and Greg Hoepffner made to accompany it with rolling mounds and lines rounded smoothly while coated in gradual shades of blue. The eerie echoes of “Monochrome” usher a space rock doctrine as Eddy Duluc’s guitar fumes and Jeremy Savry’s drumming are lightly spritzed and accelerate rapidly creating ledges along the melody.

The steely drops echoing through the opening of “”Mental Guides” gives way to the stirring hardcore storms that follow. The visual for this track is interesting. The image has photographic clarity as the lens is aimed beneath a wooden boardwalk that is unfinished, and you can see what looks like the sky peeking through the wooden boards that are missing. Other songs have much more abstract images like the squiggly radial waves representing “Impulsion Part 1” and the wiry lines and odd shapes in the image for “Impulsion Part 2” as both tracks create light trembles in the sonic waves and slight fluctuations in the melodic flow. The shafts of “Into Orbit” are lined with electro-industrial shingles grilled with rises and falls and ominous cloud clusters that sharpen the hues of the track. The final track “Not Coming Back” is equal in electro-industrial weight to the previous tracks and reiterates what the band has discovered by infusing rock elements with electronic music.

Escape/Restart is an album worth listening to, and definitely fans of space rock and advocates of electro-industrial circuitry will want a copy of it. The band shows great skill in crafting music, and though there are a few moments when their slices make the melodies feel disjointed, that’s just a part of being experimental and avant in their approach to composing tracks. The album’s appeal is inclusive and the songs have a world music cache that is undeniable. The band tells on their Myspace site that Escape/Restart is part 1 of a greater project that will include a DVD, which will add the dimensional of animation to their songs. The band is presently working on Part 2, which they are anticipating on releasing in the distant future.

Recommended if you like: Nine Inch Nails, Delerium, Rammstein, Tool

http://www.myspace.com/radiussystem

Download Album:
http://www.archive.org/compress/LostChildren046

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4.
04:44 AM on 08/20/08
Plunk
Meccamputecht
User Info.
I downloaded this thing some time ago, and still haven't listened to it yet. I'm dumb because I should, I'm sure I'm gonna like it.

I didn't know a physical copy can be purchased.
12:20 PM on 08/20/08
Plunk
Meccamputecht
User Info.
Well, I've just listened to it. I was right.

...I feel lonely.
12:00 PM on 12/26/08
Marku
User Info.
Radius System's new EP, Almost Nothing, is now available for free on VisualMusic. F*ck yeah !
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS