Password

Album Review

Underoath - Survive, Kaleidoscope [CD/DVD] Album Cover

Underoath - Survive, Kaleidoscope [CD/DVD]

Reviewed by
Underoath - Survive, Kaleidoscope [CD/DVD]
Record Label: Tooth & Nail / Solid State
Release Date: May 27, 2008
Live albums can be quite the tricky thing for bands (especially popular ones). In undergoing such an endeavor, they risk irritating and alienating fans by using a seemingly money-grabbing gesture or, in the case of many bands, sounding dramatically worse outside of the studio setting. For any who have been scarred by such experiences, fear not: Survive, Kaleidoscope will have you doubting every bad thing youíve come to expect from a live album/video.

The true value of this package lies in the DVD, so thatís where Iíll start. Shot in 16:9 widescreen, the video quality is absolutely superb, and that, coupled with the fantastic lighting scheme and physical layout of the actual venue (The Electric Factory in Philadelphia, PA), provides a feeling of immediate presence. While watching, I couldnít help but appreciate the warm embrace of intimacy this DVD affords. Every detail is captured; no hand movement, head-whip, or fleck of sweat is left un-accounted for in this 84-minute blast to the senses.

To make things even better, the camerawork is breathtaking. The wealth of expansive moving pans and wide-shots reveals both the dynamic between different members of the band and the band with the audience. At the same time, the multitude of close-ups reveals both the subtle (guitarist James Smith) and the not-so-subtle (keyboardist Chris Dudley) movements and intricacies of each individual. When cut and inter-mingled, these shots create an experience that simultaneously captures the atmosphere of the concert and provides something entirely new and exciting.

Beyond the viewable content, the auditory experience is incredible. A big gripe with live shows is the poor audio quality, which results from some mix of distortion, feedback, audience noise, and temporary hearing loss. Fortunately, this DVD allows viewers the unique experience of hearing and seeing the band perform in a live setting without the loss in quality. Each scream pierces, each drum beat punches, each guitar riff soars. So even if you think you can pass on this because youíve been to one of their live shows, trust me, you canít.

The CD, while being the lesser of the two discs, is still awesome in its own right. Some may complain that each track was recorded in different locations along the bandís tour (as opposed to the single-set performance in the DVD), but in truth, this makes the tracks all the more engaging. Not only can viewers hear what is presumably the finest recording of each song, but they can also hear something that is a little different than whatís on the DVD.

I know itís common for even moderately-obsessed fans to pass on live albums, which, given the live content thatís typically offered, is generally understandable, but not this time. Survive, Kaleidoscope is the sum of everything that makes Underoath one of the best metalcore bands of this generation. For anyone who has been to an Underoath concert, watching this DVD and listening to the CD will undoubtedly rekindle memories (I can distinctly remember crowd-surfing for the first time in my life at one of their shows). For those who havenít, this package is about the closest you could ever hope to get to the real thing. My only complaint is that now Iím about to explode with anticipation for Lost in the Sound of Separation.

Recommended if You LikeNorma Jean; Alexisonfire; Chasing Victory

myspace.com/underoath
This review is a user submitted review from Jesse SD. You can see all of Jesse SD's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6
03:59 PM on 09/14/08
Kbm600
Here, It Never Snowed
User Info.
I really don't understand why everyone compares Underoath to Norma Jean. Rather than being metalcore and christian, the bands really don't sound easily comparable. Maybe I'm just hearing the wrong songs.

Haha, not to harp on your RIYL. Excellent review, you definitely made me want to go out and get it. I just might.
04:05 PM on 09/14/08
Chuck!
In Chip We Trust (Still)
User Info.
Underoath is probably my favorite band, but they sound pretty awful on the cd imo. The DVD, however, is certainly worth watching..
05:51 PM on 09/14/08
kellybanana
User Info.
yeah no post studio polish on this at all................................ ...................................
02:32 AM on 03/08/10
AirTraffic
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I really don't understand why everyone compares Underoath to Norma Jean. Rather than being metalcore and christian, the bands really don't sound easily comparable. Maybe I'm just hearing the wrong songs.

Haha, not to harp on your RIYL. Excellent review, you definitely made me want to go out and get it. I just might.

Ha ha I know! Underoath sounds nothing like Norma Jean at all...because well, Underoath is actually tallented. Ha ha. Norma Jean is...not very tallented, and every song sounds...EXACTALLY the same.
09:42 PM on 11/09/10
BrandonDrake24
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Survive, Kaleidoscope captures Underoath in their element. I have been fortunate to see Underoath live three times, and this album brings me right back to the sweaty, raucous pit. To Whom This May Concern has some great harmonies towards the end, Everyone Looks So Good From Here goes right for the jugular, and the intro to the album gets my blood pumping. Definitely worth the 12 bucks....especially for the DVD of the live performance.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos