AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Voice of Addiction - Re-Evolution Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.5
Musicianship 7.5
Lyrics 7.5
Production 6
Creativity 6.5
Lasting Value 5.5
Reviewer Tilt 7.25
Final Verdict: 68%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Voice of Addiction - Re-Evolution

Reviewed by: llmp (08/24/08)
Voice of Addiction - Re-Evolution
Record Label: D!i!Y!
Release Date: March 2, 2008

Before writing a review for an album, I try to listen to it as much as possible so it has an adequate chance to sway my opinion one way or the other. But in all honesty, most of the time thereís really not much of a point in doing so; most of the time it is easy to form a somewhat accurate opinion on a band the moment the first track ends. There is, however, the rare band that takes some time getting used to but will nonetheless grow to be a personal favorite. Voice of Addiction are not one of those bands. If I had decided to write this review after listening to just one minute of the first track, the resulting review really would not differ all that much. This is important to note, as it plays into my overall enjoyment of the album.

When Ian Tomeleís vocals hit, the instant comparison my mind drew was to Tom Gabel of Against Me! fame. However, Tomeleís voice is just distinctive enough the two would never be confused with one another. And really, the exact same thing could be said about the folk-punk vibe of their music. Iím not just being lazy, I promise. The key differences between the two appear to be that Voice of Addiction seem to enjoy playing around on their instruments quite a bit, as well as adding a bit of a reggae influence to the mix. Personally, Iím all for blending genres as much as possible as long as it is done in such a way that the transition is seamless - and for the most part, Voice of Addiction pull it off.

Now, here is where the problem comes in: the album is six songs in length. However, Re-Evolution canít really be called an EP as it clocks in at around 25 minutes. What little I know about mathematics tells me the average length of a Voice of Addiction song is over four minutes. So, remember how I mentioned I could have written a review after listening to the first minute of their first song? Well, the one thing incorrect in that review would be I would have assumed the average length of their songs to be at around two minutes, three at the absolute maximum. There is absolutely no reason I can see that these songs should be reaching five or six minutes. As a result I, unfortunately, find myself wanting to skip to the next track about halfway through each song.

With all that said, Iíd like to make a point in saying I did enjoy Re-Evolution. Iíd compare this to watching most of those uncut DVDs of popular movies, most of the time I find scenes are cut for a reason. I think this band would do well to take note of that, because otherwise they have an extremely solid album with simple yet thought-provoking lyrics. The band is certainly worth a look if you enjoy a good Against Me! song; unless, of course, you have a particular hatred of overly long songs.

Recommended if You LikeAgainst Me!; Gunmoll; In the Red; Social Distortion

myspace.com/voiceofaddiction

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3.
07:01 AM on 10/08/11
kurtdaniel
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
At first listen, you wouldn’t expect Voice of Addiction to have such a high level of enery, but they do - and they pull it off great. Im studying vocal singing lessons to learn their songs..
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS