Album Review

Vanishing Kids - Skies in Your Eyes Album Cover

Vanishing Kids - Skies in Your Eyes

Reviewed by
Vanishing Kids - Skies in Your Eyes
Record Label: Bright as Night Records
Release Date: November 13, 2007
Who?

The "dream-pop/post-punk/insert genre here" group Vanishing Kids out of Portland, Oregon who released their second full length Skies in Your Eyes on Bright as Night Records.

How is it?

The first thing Vanishing Kids do on Skies in Your Eyes is show that their name is in no way a description of their music. After listening to the first handful of tracks I was put in a trance by the vocals of Nik Nadz and Jason Hartman it was obvious that I would not soon be forgetting what I was hearing. It really was intriguing and almost inspiring to hear the originality and love of music that was shown throughout the album as well. The standout track, "Winter" shows Nadz's ability to bring the attention to her lullaby-esque voice while still hearing the beauty behind the scenes with the syth and light drum rhythms keeping things constant.

The only downfall is one could make the argument that the entire album sounds like one giant interlude. Other than a few exceptions, the vocals were put on the back burner to the instrumentals. Think along the lines of The Sound of Animals Fighting's tracks where there is very little singing and the atmospheric sounds seem to overtake the vocals. Each track on Skies in Your Eyes falls into place neatly behind the previous one from the opening all the way to the finale entitled "Blanket of Stars". If you have felt the need to explore new musical territories as I have in the past few years, Vanishing Kids are definitely worth your time.

Recommended if You LikeThe Sounds of Animals Fighting with a touch of The Cure; post-punk; variety

myspace.com/vanishingkids
This review is a user submitted review from newfoundmichael. You can see all of newfoundmichael's submitted reviews here.

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version