Album Review
Cheap Girls - Find Me a Drink Home Album Cover

Cheap Girls - Find Me a Drink Home

Reviewed by
Cheap Girls - Find Me A Drink Home
Record Label: Bermuda Mohawk/Los Diaper/Quote Unquote
Release Date: July 11, 2008
Who:
Lansing, Michigan based power pop trio who seem to love 90ís era indie almost as much as I do (and I love 90's indie A LOT). Also, for those who have been on the losing end of a night of drinking only to be reminded about the hilariously random things you said the morning after, the albumís title Find Me A Drink Home should bring a smile to your face.

How Is It?
The state of power pop and pop-punk lately has made me feel a little disappointed. While I can appreciate a good recording and sometimes glossy tracks can still work, I am starting to grow tired of the monotony. Countless bands keep churning out the same shit album after album and occasionally songs are over polished to the point of stripping away the personality. The only thing that keeps me from entirely losing faith within that genre are the bands that thrive on the fringes of the mainstream and can appreciate the fact that a little roughness and imperfection add personality to a song. The fuzzy and rough-around-the-edges pop found on Cheap Girlsí debut Find Me A Drink Home is the perfect antidote for my indifference towards the genre. Buzzing guitars, earnest vocals, and relatable lyrics are what fuel Cheap Girls' energetic debut effort. While Cheap Girls' album may be a breath of fresh air and a welcome listen to those who loved the raw and sloppy tendencies of 90ís indie and alternative, those who prefer the cleaner production of todayís pop-punk and power pop bands may want to stay away.

RIYLThe Lemonheads, Samiam, and Smoking Popes

ListenMyspace
This review is a user submitted review from Rich Duncan. You can see all of Rich Duncan's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 8 of 8
09:55 AM on 09/06/08
NickDanger
User Info.
One of my favorite records of 2008. Probably my favorite band in Michigan right now.
04:33 PM on 09/06/08
Gilbert Arenas
assassin
User Info.
This is a great band.

Her and Cigarettes.
07:16 PM on 09/06/08
The Revisionist
Loves shittyass pop music
User Info.
Yeah, I love this album. "Stop Now" and "Parking Lot" are my jamsssss. Hopefully people here will read the review as well as look at the numerical score, they don't really seem to match up in my mind.
02:27 PM on 09/07/08
St0f
User Info.
Awesome album, the scores and the review don't match up, indeed. It's a solid effort and I want more after every listen.
09:07 PM on 09/08/08
Rich Duncan
Album Reviewer
User Info.
The reason they don't match up is because I try to be unbiased. If you look at reviewer tilt, it got a high rating because I personally like the album. However, I can't justify saying the vocals deserve to be an 8 because that would just be absurd considering some of the vocalists out there today. See what I am saying?
09:51 AM on 09/22/08
The Revisionist
Loves shittyass pop music
User Info.
Yeah, for sure I see what you're saying. I guess I just don't really like the setup of the numerical aspect of the reviews for that reason - it seems to portray the reviews in a different manner than the actual opinion may be. I'd just prefer to have them eliminated, I think more people probably just look at those instead of actually dissecting the points put forth.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos