Password

Album Review

Jacks Mannequin - The Glass Passenger Album Cover

Jacks Mannequin - The Glass Passenger

Reviewed by
Jack’s MannequinThe Glass Passenger
Release Date: September 30, 2008
Record Label: Sire
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
When I read or hear about cancer survivors, they'll sometimes describe how experiencing and overcoming cancer gave them a new sense of appreciation for life and how they carry on from day to day. After listening to The Glass Passenger, you can sense Jack’s Mannequin brain trust Andrew McMahon has developed an even deeper appreciation, as each track is lively and spirited.

McMahon’s battle with acute lymphoblastic leukemia has been well documented, so I won’t get into the details, but we’ve seen the photos and heard the stories: McMahon wasn’t going to let this thing beat him, and you can hear vibrant energy and beautiful compositions throughout The Glass Passenger, an album bursting with diversity.

You hear the rush of anxiety immediately on “Crashin,”which is paced by a fast tempo as melodies swirling through your head. The chorus gets your heart beating, as McMahon passionate vocals carry it. “Spinning” features gentle verses with a beautiful harmony between McMahon and guest Stacy Clark, while the chorus jumps out at you. “Swim” features some reflective lyrics from McMahon that may touch on his battle with cancer (“You gotta swim/swim for your life/swim for the music that saves you when you’re not so sure you’ll survive./You gotta swim/and swim when it hurts) as well as the end of chorus where McMahon proclaims “I’m not giving in./Swim.”

You hear the diverse nature of the album throughout, from the reggae-tinged verses of “Bloodshot” to the peaceful piano ballad “Hammer and Strings (A Lullaby),” while “American Love” channels the synth-pop for the 1980’s. The highlight of the album comes in the form of “Annie Use Your Telescope,” a dreamy track that incorporates strings to form a musical dynamic that encompasses your senses. First single, “The Resolution,” features a huge chorus, with McMahon exclaiming about being alive once again.

The Glass Passenger concludes with the stunning “Caves,” a seven and a half minute opus that begins with mesmerizing piano chords as McMahon’s calm yet strong falsetto anchors the first half. Around the three-minute mark, the track picks up, the piano chords speed up and fade out into the full band, as the guitar and drums crash together to bring “Caves” to a climatic finish.

Jack’s Mannequin debut, Everything In Transit, is loved by many, but I’m here to tell you that it doesn’t come close to measuring up to The Glass Passenger. The variety and diversity on Passenger separates it from its predecessor and most albums in the pop genre. McMahon’s lyrics and song composition continue to get better, as songs like “Caves” and “Annie Use Your Telescope” display. Andrew McMahon has cemented himself as the current scene’s best pop musician and one of the best I’ve heard in my lifetime. The Glass Passenger invites you to buckle and enjoy the ride of life. It’s one you should take.

Additional InformationTrack Listing:
1. Crashin featuring Stacy Clark
2. Spinning featuring Stacy Clark
3. Swim
4. American Love
5. What Gets You Off?
6. Suicide Blonde
7. Annie Use Your Telescope
8. Bloodshot
9. Hammer and Strings (A Lullaby)
10. Drop Out – The So Unknown
11. Orphans
12. The Resolution
13. Caves
Produced by: Andrew McMahon and Jim Wirt

Jack’s Mannequin are:
Andrew McMahon – vocals/piano
Bobby Anderson – guitar/vocals
Jonathan Sullivan – bass
Jay McMillan - drums

Official Website; Official Myspace; Official AP.net Profile

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 150
11:38 PM on 09/07/08
Theow593
User Info.
Good review, 10.
11:38 PM on 09/07/08
MyWorldEntire
COYRS
User Info.
great review
11:52 PM on 09/07/08
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
Definitely one of the best albums of the year. Andrew has a remarkable ear for melody, and continues to develop his skill as a lyricist on each release.
12:19 AM on 09/08/08
cereal4life
User Info.
Nice review. What's "What Gets You Off?" about? Either way, I'll get this, should be good methinks.
12:23 AM on 09/08/08
Clark
Dirk Nowitzki's Beard
User Info.
Decent review. Shorter than I expected it to be. That last paragraph needs to be broken in two. It looks like it's supposed to be, but maybe you forgot to hit enter twice.
04:22 AM on 09/08/08
Kbm600
Here, It Never Snowed
User Info.
Very nice review. This record hasn't caught my liking yet...maybe it just takes time?
04:49 AM on 09/08/08
tait
@
User Info.
one of my favorite albums from this year. might end up as my aoty
06:19 AM on 09/08/08
hockeyguitar99
Prison Strength
User Info.
I'm waiting to hear this release but I am extremely excited. i
06:37 AM on 09/08/08
End of Disc One
User Info.
I wouldn't say it's a better album than Everything in Transit, but it does have some better standout songs and is very good in its own right.
06:43 AM on 09/08/08
TooLateF0rRoses
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
good review, just not a fan of the album.
06:43 AM on 09/08/08
End of Disc One
User Info.
"Andrew McMahon has cemented himself as the current scene’s best pop musician and one of the best I’ve heard in my lifetime."

That's some high praise; I'm surprised the album only got 88%.
06:49 AM on 09/08/08
saysmydoctor
Resident New Yorker
User Info.
A+ review but you know with every DrewB review there comes controversy for something you've said.
Timetoroll
Strives for better musical taste.
User Info.
Very good. I will definitly pick this one up. You have me convinced Drew.
Timetoroll
Strives for better musical taste.
User Info.
A+ review but you know with every DrewB review there comes controversy for something you've said.

That is very true. People can't just let the reviews lay, can they?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos