AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
I Saw a Ghost - I Saw a Ghost Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 6
Musicianship 6.5
Lyrics 7
Production 7.5
Creativity 6
Lasting Value 7.5
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 69%
Member Ratings
Vocals 5.25
Musicianship 5.25
Lyrics 5.13
Production 5.13
Creativity 5.13
Lasting Value 5.13
Reviewer Tilt 5.13
Average: 52%
Inside AP.net

I Saw a Ghost - I Saw a Ghost

Reviewed by: Klatzke (09/08/08)
I Saw a Ghost - I Saw a Ghost
Record Label: None
Release Date: December 2007

Who?

A six-piece post-hardcore band from Virginia with a steadily growing fan-base and a soon-to-be-released full-length album.

How is it?

It's a good first attempt. They really haven't done anything revolutionary, unique, or creative on this EP, but it's still an enjoyable listen for what it is. The harder tracks have a certain style to them, but when they tone it down and try to go for a more accessible sound, they kind of kill the listeners attention. The vocals on this EP are one of it's main flaws: the screams are solid, and the backup vocals work well - it's just the lead vocals that kind of detract from it in places; the lead vocalist really just isn't a great singer. In most places, he adequately covers it up with his delivery, which kind of overshadows the need for actually sung vocals. In the "heavier" tracks it's fine, but in the others (notably, "Watch the Skies") it really detracts from the flow of the disc. The instrumentation in the EP isn't really noteworthy, and if it wasn't for the over-intensive electronics in places, it would sound almost exactly like any other post-hardcore release.

The first two tracks "It's Funny What People Do At Gunpoint" and "Showcase Showdown" are two of the harder, more straightforward tracks that are immensely more impressive than the lighter tracks. They've got a few nice screaming parts spread throughout, and they both have some nice little pseudo-breakdowns. If the EP were made up of just these songs, it would be great. Unfortunately, they've included a couple of tracks that sound like they would be the perfect filler for a Sky Eats Airplane album.

I've got some interest for I Saw a Ghost's debut full-length. However, I'll be much more interested in checking it out if it takes the 3/5 of this EP that's solid and takes it to a new level; I won't mind if they leave out the filler.

Recommended if You LikeBefore Their Eyes; Sky Eats Airplane (if their lead vocalist's throat hurt real bad and he didn't feel like screaming so much); In Fear and Faith

myspace.com/isawaghostva

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4.
02:54 PM on 09/24/08
Iwudstilldie4u
UCSD's AP.net liaison
User Info.
I liked your honesty and your use of easy-to-understand phrases. Good review!
11:47 AM on 09/28/08
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
I liked your honesty and your use of easy-to-understand phrases. Good review!
Thanks
09:14 PM on 04/07/11
novadrummer317
dtalastas
User Info.
Klatzke we have a new album for you to review (I Saw a Ghost)
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests