AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview
Hint: Have a band you'd like to see interviewed? Tell us.
Inside AP.net

Cartel - 1.17.05

Interviewed by: Brandon Herbel (01/17/05)
First off, introduce yourselves and tell us what you in Cartel?

This is Will and I’m the singer for Cartel

How did everyone in the band meet?

Joseph, Ryan, Kevin and I have been friends for about 5 years now. We all met at high school. We met our original guitarist Andy through various Atlanta bands but we all ended up wanting to do Cartel by meeting at Georgia State University. Nic, our new guitarist, was part of the original ‘clan’ we had back in high school. He used to be in an old band that we had so we all know him really well.

There has been a lot of buzz about your EP, did you guys expect to get this much attention so fast?

We didn’t expect it to happen this fast. We believed in the EP that we put together – all we needed was just to get out there and let people hear it. It turns out that a lot of our fans are doing the work for us. Word of Mouth has helped us out tremendously….as well as websites like yours and purevolume.com. All of us are super psyched to have all this early success and, we can’t wait to get back on the road and play shows again.

How did you guys go about getting signed to The Militia Group and how has it been so far?
Well, your website had a lot to do with that. We had some contact with Militia beforehand but all the rumors about us signing with them is what turned the conversations between us into a bit more serious nature. Rory came out and saw us play at Atlantis Music Conference and the rest is history. They are the best guys (and girls) in the world. We love going out there and hanging out with them – Top Notch people.

Is there any meaning to the name Cartel?

We had a pretty interesting experience back in high school where one of my friends snooped out my dad’s Mason briefcase. There was a gun involved along with a healthy amount of “funds”. We, of course, left it alone and used it as a good story. When we decided on the name Cartel we thought we’d have a little fun with the artwork – it’s just a tiny coincidence that we found my dad’s stash before the artwork was decided upon.

When do you guys plan to release a full-length?

We have tentative plans to go into the studio in May to record. I’m guessing that Militia will release it sometime in late August or early September. We can’t wait to get in the studio so we can get it out to you guys – it’s going to be great.

What are some good unsigned bands that you guys have been listening to lately?

This is the point in the interview where I give shout outs to all the Atlanta bands we’ve played with – The Sophomore Year and One Way Letter. We’ve also played with a band from Raleigh, NC named The Mile After. They’re good and they’re awesome guys….it’s a good combination. I can’t forget My American Heart and A Second Chance – we toured with them both on our first tour and their both really good bands. I’d also like to thank Halifax for giving us the glory on this question that they had in our interview. We only got to play with them once but they’re great dudes and we hope a tour can happen in the near future – just had to say that formally.

Are you guys excited about the new year? Any big plans for the band?

We’re really excited. We get to play Warped Tour, record and put out a full length, and tour the country again…..it can’t get much better than that for a full-time band.

If the band was to fight the Columbian Cartel, who would win?

Last time I checked a gun wins in a fight with a guitar….so, the Columbian Cartel would probably ruin us…..however, if we were fighting in a game of Halo I’d have to say that we’d put them in their place.

Thank you again for talking with us, are there any last words you would like to say to our readers?

I’d like to say nothing more than thank you for all the support we’ve received so far….all the fans have been great. Keep telling your friends about us and thanks for the chance to earn a spot in your regular CD rotation. We love you all.

Displaying posts 1 - 13 of 13.
12:59 PM on 01/17/05
Everiggs
<--------Hot
User Info.
I did not know they were playing WARPED...I'm stoked.
01:26 PM on 01/17/05
xcorruptpunkx
ex - xcorruptpunkx
User Info.
Originally Posted by Everiggs
I did not know they were playing WARPED...I'm stoked.
ditto
02:01 PM on 01/17/05
juan_believes
i can do the frug
User Info.
colOmbian, not colUmbian
02:04 PM on 01/17/05
RockVocalPower
Ups and Downsizing
User Info.
Cartel and The Mile After...all you really need in life.
03:54 PM on 01/17/05
Skatetopunk
Typical College Drunk
User Info.
i was surprised when I bought there E.P.......pop punk that dosen't suck.....wait not only dosen't it suck but it is really good.... crap now I have to get spikey pop punk hair...
05:31 PM on 01/17/05
albatrossxivy
asdfg
User Info.
awesome interview
09:25 PM on 01/17/05
chaoticXpunk
Return of the Perron-ha
User Info.
After I bought the EP it was in my CD player for about a month. That's saying something for seven songs.
10:12 PM on 01/17/05
tbag311
R.I.P Blink-182
User Info.
Originally Posted by chaoticXpunk
After I bought the EP it was in my CD player for about a month. That's saying something for seven songs.

haha...same here man. those songs got into my head and refused to leave :lol2:
01:45 AM on 01/18/05
rockoutaz
User Info.
Originally Posted by Skatetopunk
i was surprised when I bought there E.P.......pop punk that dosen't suck.....wait not only dosen't it suck but it is really good.... crap now I have to get spikey pop punk hair...

wait, we're supposed to have spiked hair now? shit, i just finished growing mine out. adam lazzara is going to be pissed.
11:05 AM on 01/18/05
Skatetopunk
Typical College Drunk
User Info.
yeah i know....right when i had it figured out....where did i put the pomade?
12:11 PM on 08/22/05
joeshmoe909
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Awsome I cannot wait for it. Its so sweet you guys are putting up the album early. Thanks a lot. I love Cartel and was so stoked to meet him at Warped it was great!
12:24 PM on 09/08/07
rockgurl
User Info.
I love all the answers that you gave.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music