AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
I Married My Highschool Sweetheart - Laugh Out Love Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7
Musicianship 6.75
Lyrics 7
Production 7
Creativity 6.5
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 7
Final Verdict: 69%
Member Ratings
Vocals 5.13
Musicianship 3.88
Lyrics 4.13
Production 4.5
Creativity 3.75
Lasting Value 3.13
Reviewer Tilt 0.63
Average: 36%

I Married My Highschool Sweetheart - Laugh Out Love

Reviewed by: Susan Frances (10/01/08)
I Married My Highschool Sweetheart - Laugh out Love
Record Label: Favorite Gentlemen Recordings
Release Date: June 3, 2008

Singer-songwriter, Trevor Dowdy has the voice of a mushy troubadour and music that is completely encompassed in orchestral rods of synths and processed beats on his latest record Laugh out Love. His electro-pop showers and strobe-light flashes are melodically creased with arches that show sensibilities liken to Hellogoodbye. In the same vane as solo artists who go by special monikers like The Secret Handshake’s Luis Dubuc, Say Hi’s Eric Elbogen, The Rocket Summer’s Bryce Avary, and Never Shout Never’s Christopher Drew, Trevor Dowdy has one of these specially made namesakes which goes by I Married My Highschool Sweetheart. It is a totally milksoppy name but really sweet.

The ambient channels and delicately cropped effects of “For Sarah” are gelled in swirling motions, while the puffy synths of “You Are The 1” are hemmed by a sequin of beaded acoustic guitar strings giving the tune country overtones. The jolly bobbing of “For Jayma” are loosely chained while the prattling beats of “How Japan Looks From The Sky” are whisked in glistening electro-pop glitters. The melodic rock simmer of “Laugh Out Loud” are rouged by airy violins while “For Yuri” is riddled in bars of hydroplaned synths. The reggae singed electrodes of “All 4 U” are pillowed by comfy rhythmic swells, contrasting the perky prance in the rhythmic struts of “For Emily and Sami” kicks in with flouncy jumps and bangles of seraphic ethers and sonic streaks.

Dowdy’s music project I Married My Highschool Sweetheart is dominated by electro-pop casings and stylish bouffant-puffed synths showing a likeness to Hellogoodbye and reflections of The Secret Handshake. For now, Dowdy’s music is made for his corner of the world, but it has promise to go beyond those perimeters some day.

Recommended if you like: The Secret Handshake, Never Shout Never, Say Hi, Hellogoodbye, The Rocket Summer

www.myspace.com/imarriedmyhighschoolsweetheart

Displaying posts 1 - 5 of 5
06:13 PM on 10/01/08
LongDistanceDrunk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Owl City = best electronica pop EVER
07:13 PM on 10/01/08
tm decomposer
KEMBA WALKER 4 PREZ!!
User Info.
Why would you mention Say Hi compared to this?
11:13 PM on 10/02/08
hectorial85
Saved The Day
User Info.
this was up for dwnld a while back on his myspace.
i dig it.
07:47 PM on 10/03/08
Joe DeAndrea
Radiosurgery
User Info.
I like this guy.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives