AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

Crisis in Hollywood - Between the Devil and the... Album Cover

Crisis in Hollywood - Between the Devil and the...

Reviewed by
Crisis in Hollywood - Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea
Release Date: January 8, 2008
Record Label: None
For a group that preaches so much about originality, Crisis In Hollywood has very little of their own. Even the first track, "The Fashion Of The Christ," starts the assault on un-originality with the lines "Hey, look at me, I'm the next big thing, with a perfect replication of un-originality." The first thing that struck me about this album was just how much Crisis In Hollywood sound like Just Surrender. Combined with these lyrics, it gave me a pretty skeptical view of the album throughout the first few listens. With that off my chest, I can go ahead and say that although it may not be as original as they'd hoped, Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea is one hell of a pop album.

It's got everything that a good alt-pop album requires: a quick pace, catchy hooks, and just the right about of bite. The dual-guitar approach takes the sound back and forth from heavier to lighter pop riffs. They stay away from the simple progressions that mar most pop albums, and it makes the album sound even more developed. They've also got something that many newer pop bands seem to be missing: a lively bass presence. The vocals are pretty standard for this kind of album, and while they aren't spectacular, they're more than good enough to lead the songs. Most of the production on this album is fairly tight, but the one place that could use some work is the drum sections. They're just overproduced, and in some places, kind of take over because of the contrast between them and the rest of the instruments. The structures are pretty varying, and even though the songs are long, they managed not to lose my attention.

Out of the thirteen songs on this album, it's hard to find something you don't like. As I said before, this band basically has the same structure as Just Surrender in most of their songs. It's particularly noticeable in "Sin On Your Lips," which sounds like it could have fit in perfectly with Just Surrender's We're In Like Sin. "All That You Love" is another of these songs. Other songs tend to fit perfectly into other band's stereotypical sounds, such as the Mayday Parade-esque chorus of "If You're Hearts Out," complete with the almost trademarked gang vocal proclamations of "it's over, it's over." The title track even sounds like it could be a more serious song by The Audition with it's bouncy bass and vocals during the intro and pre-chorus.

What Crisis In Hollywood lacks in originality, they make up in style. While there are very few tracks on this album that actually have the band displaying a style of their own they managed to keep my attention across all 13 (fairly long) tracks. This is a great debut album from a promising band. If they can find a sound all their own for their next release, it'll be one to watch out for.

Recommended if You LikeJust Surrender's We're in Like Sin; The Audition's Champion; The Years Gone By; National Product's Luna

myspace.com/crisisinhollywood
This review is a user submitted review from Klatzke. You can see all of Klatzke's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 8 of 8
03:22 PM on 10/10/08
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
Everyone please keep in mind that I try to keep my ratings based on 1/10 scale, with 5 being average.

So, 67% = 7/10, which is pretty above average.
04:48 PM on 10/11/08
Dani_Muse
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Just to let you know, you mis-quoted their lyrics. They don't sing "of our originality". They sing "of un-originality".

That aside, I don't think that in that song they were boasting about being so much different than all the other bands out there. I think they were more attacking "the scene" where it's more important to look good than to sound good. That's reinforced in the lines "got my hair just right and my jeans on tight, a pretty face is all you need".

In my opinion, they were merely making the statement that a lot of bands out there seem to make it with no real musical talent at all. And "un-originality" aside, these guys definitely have talent.

You should check out a live show.
08:42 PM on 10/11/08
Klatzke
User Info.
Just to let you know, you mis-quoted their lyrics. They don't sing "of our originality". They sing "of un-originality".

That aside, I don't think that in that song they were boasting about being so much different than all the other bands out there. I think they were more attacking "the scene" where it's more important to look good than to sound good. That's reinforced in the lines "got my hair just right and my jeans on tight, a pretty face is all you need".

In my opinion, they were merely making the statement that a lot of bands out there seem to make it with no real musical talent at all. And "un-originality" aside, these guys definitely have talent.

You should check out a live show.
Just so you know, I definitely said they were talented.
And changing those lines doesn't make the song any different, they're still preaching about unoriginality.
09:00 PM on 10/11/08
Dani_Muse
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Just so you know, I definitely said they were talented.
And changing those lines doesn't make the song any different, they're still preaching about unoriginality.

Oh, I know! I didn't mean to sound like you didn't say they were talented. My point was just that the song was less about having completely unique songs and more a satire about the scene--All of the over-produced, under-talented bands that have taken over the "pop-punk" genre. That's all I meant.

Overall, I thought your review was on point.
09:22 PM on 10/11/08
Klatzke
User Info.
Oh, I know! I didn't mean to sound like you didn't say they were talented. My point was just that the song was less about having completely unique songs and more a satire about the scene--All of the over-produced, under-talented bands that have taken over the "pop-punk" genre. That's all I meant.

Overall, I thought your review was on point.
Haha, alright then. The first post seemed like you were comin at me for it.

Thanks.
01:24 PM on 10/13/08
Matthew Tsai
Born and raised
User Info.
neat review
01:52 PM on 10/13/08
Klatzke
User Info.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News