Password

Album Review

Cartel - Cartel Album Cover

Cartel - Cartel

Reviewed by
Cartel - Cartel
Record Label: Epic Records
Release Date: August 21, 2007
This review is a user submitted review from MusicTalks. You can see all of MusicTalks's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 22
11:05 AM on 10/15/08
Cheesus
nope
User Info.
Awesome review man, loved it. I totally agree with you. I don't know why this album got pushed aside by so many fans, it has some really great songs on it..
01:19 PM on 10/15/08
klawansie7
do you believe in magic?
User Info.
wasted is by far my favorite cartel song and one of my fave songs of all time, i think.

solid review.
01:44 PM on 10/15/08
Burning Star IV
Mornings Taste Like Turpentine
User Info.
Good review.

Just my own opinion, I felt this release was a huge letdown.
01:45 PM on 10/15/08
MusicTalks
@JasDunham
User Info.
wasted is by far my favorite cartel song and one of my fave songs of all time, i think.

solid review.

first, thank you.

second, i could tell it was a big favorite because at each of the recent shows, everyone loved it. honestly, i like it, it's okay, but it's not one of my favorites. i think that my favorite cartel song would probably have to be the acoustic version of "fiend" (which technically isn't cartel, only will), "burn this city" (for sentimental reasons) or "city never sleeps"
02:02 PM on 10/15/08
refgirl23
at least I'm not a UT fan
User Info.
Good review.

"This is Who We Are" is hands down my favorite song on the album; the music dork in me loves the snare being played with the brush wires at the opening of "Wasted" along with the trumpet solo also.

About a year and a half ago I didn't know anything more of Cartel than just "Say Anything" and "Honestly". Last July I saw them at their Secret Show in Atlanta, and haven't stopped listening since.
02:33 PM on 10/15/08
owiseone35
You need human heat
User Info.
I guess I'll be the pessimist in this forum. I think this cd is pretty bad. It is much worse then Chroma and is way too forgettable. Hopefully Cartel bounce back and make an EPIC 3rd cd but as for this it's going into the garbage.
03:42 PM on 10/15/08
Bobby Tucker
China... YEAH!!!
User Info.
I guess I'll be the pessimist in this forum. I think this cd is pretty bad. It is much worse then Chroma and is way too forgettable. Hopefully Cartel bounce back and make an EPIC 3rd cd but as for this it's going into the garbage.

100% Agreed. I think its good vocally, when Will actually ventures out of the middle octaves that he seems to settle into after The Fortunate. However, musically this album just isn't very good, some songs set up around gimmicky synth beats, a la "I Will Hide Myself Away", while others are just middle of the road pop punk. Nothing stands out from the crowd for me, even "Wasted" doesn't hold up against "The Minstrel's Prayer" from Chroma. Creatively, it's a mess too, why do you think so many fans of Chroma have called them out on the bubble tactic and the "cheapness" of this effort? Overall, this probably isn't the worst CD around, but it is certainly a disappointment following their debut, and hopefully they can right the ship, especially now that they left their money grubbing major label...
04:27 PM on 10/15/08
klawansie7
do you believe in magic?
User Info.
first, thank you.

second, i could tell it was a big favorite because at each of the recent shows, everyone loved it. honestly, i like it, it's okay, but it's not one of my favorites. i think that my favorite cartel song would probably have to be the acoustic version of "fiend" (which technically isn't cartel, only will), "burn this city" (for sentimental reasons) or "city never sleeps"
burn this city is pretty sweet too.
but yea wasted is a favorite for personal meanings... but it always reminds me to like do something with my life...
i think that's why i like it so much...
09:28 PM on 10/15/08
MusicTalks
@JasDunham
User Info.
100% Agreed. I think its good vocally, when Will actually ventures out of the middle octaves that he seems to settle into after The Fortunate. However, musically this album just isn't very good, some songs set up around gimmicky synth beats, a la "I Will Hide Myself Away", while others are just middle of the road pop punk. Nothing stands out from the crowd for me, even "Wasted" doesn't hold up against "The Minstrel's Prayer" from Chroma. Creatively, it's a mess too, why do you think so many fans of Chroma have called them out on the bubble tactic and the "cheapness" of this effort? Overall, this probably isn't the worst CD around, but it is certainly a disappointment following their debut, and hopefully they can right the ship, especially now that they left their money grubbing major label...

as much as i love this album, i do feel like they sold themselves short in certain areas, but too much was made of the 'bubble'. it was the easiest way to write them off with the least bit of effort. i heard certain leaks of several songs before they were even in the bubble so it can't all be said that it was done in 20 days. "wasted" is probably my least favorite song on the album and i agree it doesn't hold up to the best of chroma, but the rest of the cartel is fundamentally sound in structure. i love that we all have opinions. thank you for giving con to this album, i truly do. it's appreciated.
09:29 PM on 10/15/08
MusicTalks
@JasDunham
User Info.

dude, side note - i live in herndon, va too. where you at kid?
02:34 AM on 10/16/08
fadedmemories
You'd be good for me
User Info.
Good review.

Just my own opinion, I felt this release was a huge letdown.
Agreed
06:47 PM on 10/18/08
owiseone35
You need human heat
User Info.
dude, side note - i live in herndon, va too. where you at kid?

Your kidding right, ha ha that's tight. Ya I live across the street from Herndon High School on Old Hunt Way. Where are you living?
07:04 PM on 10/26/08
jrice7423
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
glad to be the only member that rated this album haha

i think Cartel is an infectious album with a lot of drive behind it
they should have never done "the bubble" though...it really gave them a tainted image for most people (not me thankfully)
07:05 PM on 10/26/08
jrice7423
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
P.S. the best song off the album is "Tonight" by a long-shot

Best Cartel song of all time: "City Never Sleeps" by a long-shot as well

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles