AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Farewell Flight - Sound.Color.Motion. Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 7.75
Lyrics 8.5
Production 8.5
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 83%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.38
Musicianship 9.38
Lyrics 9.5
Production 9.25
Creativity 9
Lasting Value 9.5
Reviewer Tilt 9.25
Average: 93%
Inside AP.net

Farewell Flight - Sound.Color.Motion.

Reviewed by: Jamos4184 (10/08/08)
Farewell Flight - Sound.Color.Motion.
Record Label: None
Release Date: August 19, 2008

There are quite a few unsigned bands out there who should not be in their current unsigned status, and the least of these is Farewell Flight. These Harrisburg natives have been working for years on music that they love and sharing it with people who love music. If you are not familiar with Farewell Flight, give them a shot and check them out. Upon initial listening, you may draw comparisons do Death Cab for Cutie and Lovedrug’s earlier material, and some Copeland thrown in for good measure. That is not to say that they are just a Deathcab Jr., these fellas can hold their own and bring a unique twist to a style of music that is quickly becoming less and less original

Sound.Color.Motion. starts off slow with the shortest song on the album, “A Lullaby for Insomniacs”, which could have been an extended intro to the next song “Widower” (and seemed to play out as such when I saw them perform this summer) which finds vocalist Luke Foley lamenting, “She chose me over her fiancé, and now I’m pulling away,”, and “I feel like a widower inside, my youth is quickly passing by”. The next song on the album, “Over”, is one of the stand-out tracks featuring an almost Coldplay-style piano lead and relate-able lyrics for any guy who has ever had to fight and fight and fight for a girl, and then realize you won’t win her over anyway. “Indianapolis” changes things up with some electronic beats and a gang-vocal yell of “T-R-O-U-B-L-E, yeah we’ve got what you’re lookin for!” which I realize sounds incredibly corny just to read it, but it will hook you if you let it. Later on in the album, “The Usual Vernacular” features a bassline and drum combination that is reminiscent of something you might hear on a MewithoutYou album.

It’s hard to find any downsides of this album. The production is strong considering they recorded this album without a label. Foley’s vocals are solid and backed by equally solid musicianship. The lyrics are clever, straightforward and honest. Farewell Flight have crafted a fine album indeed; and paired with a great live show and relentless tour schedule, hopefully, this will get them some label attention. I don’t see how it couldn’t.

Choice Cuts"Over"; "Indianapolis"; "America Will Break Your Heart"; "The Usual Vernacular"

Recommended If You LikeDeathcab for Cutie; Lovedrug; Copeland

myspace.com/farewellflight

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6.
10:41 AM on 10/15/08
apresnuledeluge
Never too fat to fly
User Info.
This is a really great album. They opened for my friend's band a few months back and, though I had never heard of them prior, they absolutely blew me away.
09:00 PM on 10/15/08
Matthew Tsai
Born and raised
User Info.
it's also streaming at relevantmagazine.com
05:55 PM on 11/12/08
chillinlikebob
User Info.
Top 5 of 2008!
10:17 AM on 01/28/09
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
One of the better debut albums I've ever heard. Bar none.
10:53 PM on 06/12/10
Jamos4184
www.facebook.com/attalusmusic
User Info.
Wow, I'm kind of embarrassed I wrote this. Still a great album, though. Just not my best work review-wise.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests