Password

Album Review

Damien Jurado - Caught in the Trees Album Cover

Damien Jurado - Caught in the Trees

Reviewed by
Damien Jurado - Caught in the Trees
Record Label: Secretly Canadian
Release Date: September 9, 2008
I've been an avid Damien Jurado disciple for many years now, so I was really excited to get my hands on this album. The first listen felt like coming home again.

This time around Damien relied on the creative input of friends Eric Fisher and Jenna Conrad as much as himself. The result is a much more diverse, musically dense record. It took a year to write this album, and it shows. The songs are lush and well-structured, but not over-thought. Lyrically, Jurado is stepping outside his first person narrative and stepping into some more abstract territory, which is a welcome and refreshing change. Casey Foubert and Kory Kruckenberg manned the boards this time around, and Foubert's influence (most recognized as member of Pedro the Lion, alongside David Bazan and T.W. Walsh) is noticeable. Many of the tracks on Caught in the Trees are much more upbeat and rocking then we are used to hearing from Jurado, and it's a welcome change.

All technical review talk aside, as a music lover, and a Jurado fan, I think this record is great. There's nothing more exciting as a fan then to see an artist pushing the boundaries of what he does and creating something incredible. Caught in the Trees seems immediately familiar and at the same time, a musical departure for Jurado, and in this case, change is very good.

Recommended if You Like Pedro the Lion; Ray LaMontagne; Rocky Votolato

myspace.com/damienjurado
This review is a user submitted review from WordsandMusic. You can see all of WordsandMusic's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4
04:22 PM on 10/22/08
tm decomposer
KEMBA WALKER 4 PREZ!!
User Info.
Short/sweet. Love the record.
07:45 PM on 10/26/08
Jeremy Aaron
User Info.
Great record. "Go First" is one of my favorite tracks of the year.
09:57 AM on 10/28/08
laflava
User Info.
Coats of Ice. Yes please!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News