Album Review

Single File - No More Sad Face Album Cover

Single File - No More Sad Face

Reviewed by
Single File - No More Sad Face
Record Label: Reprise
Release Date: July 10, 2007
Who?

Single File is a 3-piece pop-punk band from Colorado. I saw these guys in Columbia when I went to see Valencia and they were the only other band to catch my eye (no offense to Sing It Loud or Cash Cash, but man, did these guys have fun on stage). Their live show is raw, fun, and good. I'd recommend checking these guys out on their current tour with A Cursive Memory. Common Struggles is their new full length due out end of this year/early next year.

How is it?

No More Sad Face is their latest release, albeit out for over a year now, which contains four tracks of melodies, fun, and songs that you can't help but sing along with. "Zombies Ate My Neighbors" (can't say I'm a fan of that title) starts off the EP right with big hooks and an interesting storyline. It's a good opening song that lets you know exactly what to expect from this trio. The real gem on the EP is "Velcro". It's just a great pop song to sing along to with the windows down and some friends. "She likes the boy who lives downstairs / She loves the way he combs his hair" are not the most introspective lyrics, but are fun nonetheless. Fun is a recurring theme throughout this EP. The next two songs, "Melody of You" and "September Skyline" share a common mood, being the slower, more thoughtful songs on the record.

One thing that was missing, that I enjoyed most from their live show, was the 'rawness.' Tough word to use for a pop band but I don't know how else to explain it. I know, I know, this EP is fun, but nothing ground-breaking; however, that is not what this band is shooting for. They are looking to make enjoyable pop songs and are having a hell of a time doing it and no one can argue that. Pop-punk lovers rejoice, you'll like this EP, and those of you who can't enjoy fun, well you'll hate it (kidding of course).

Recommended if You LikeSaves the Day; pop punk; having fun; singing along with the windows while other drivers look at you like you're crazy

myspace.com/singlefile
This review is a user submitted review from Sic Transit Zeb. You can see all of Sic Transit Zeb's submitted reviews here.

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version