AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Hot Cross - 2.24.05

Interviewed by
Hot Cross - 2.24.05Before we get started, could you please give us your name and postion in Hot Cross?

- My name is Billy and I am the singer.

A lot of complications come up today when people try to define your music, I'm sure this is a question you hate to answer - but what do you guys describe yourself as?

- I guess for lack of a more definitive term, we are a rock influenced hardcore punk band.

What are some of your main influences?

- Everyone in the band listens to a wide range of stuff, so it is not too easy to figure out the biggest influences are.. Everything from Black Flag to Portraits Of Past to At The Drive-In to Jeff Buckley.

What bands/artists have you all been listening to?

- Usually we are listening to Pinback, Minus The Bear and The Mars Volta. Each person in the band is into completely different music.. ranging from classic rock to straight up house music.

I've always been curious, where did you get the name "Hot Cross" from?

- I think Greg (drummer) and Matt (bass player) were at a neighborhood bakery in NYC and say "Hot Cross Buns" on a sign and the rest was history.

When I told the people over at AP that I had a chance to interview you, a lot of them had the same question - "Can you ask them what happend with Saetia?" I'm sure you get that one a lot as well, haha.

- AP wants to know about Saetia? How odd. Nothing "happened" really. I guess we were having less fun than we should have been and we all just wanted to move on. I wish there was a more exciting or dramatic story, but there really isn't. I am still friends with everyone that was involved with Saetia. Everyone is still active in music, for the most part.

Level-Plane has been considered one of the most original and ground breaking labels in the underground scene. You guys have/had some legendary bands signed to that label (GetFucked, Books Lie, City Of Caterpillar) how do you respond to compliments like that?

- Well, I am not really involved in any signings or the running of the label at all. I sometimes help with little things, but it is 99.9% Greg's baby. He is flattered and genuinely shocked at the label's success. He puts in a lot of hours. I know that he is happy that someone or ANY one appreciates it.

If there is one thing you could change with the music considered "popular" by mainstream, what would it be?

- Try to change into an EP / single oriented market rather than an album market. With a few exceptions, a lot of bands have 3-4 decent songs and 10 tracks of a filler on their albums. If huge labels were releasing EP's with 4-5 good songs at a time rather than a 14 song $18 full lengths I think it would be easier to stay interested in a lot of these bands. Or, maybe I have no attention span.

Movie or books? Or both?

- Do you mean movies based on books, or would I rather see some movie rather then read some book? If it's the former, books. If it's the latter, both!

What are some other record labels that deserve attention?

- Touch & Go, Dischord and Kompakt. They get a lot of attention though.

What is your favorite thing about being in Hot Cross?

- The over whelming amount of groupies and taking out MC's in battles on the daily.

What is your dream show? Meaning, if you could put any four bands together and see them in one night, what would the line up beat? Active or non-active

- Slowdive, Cocteau Twins, Black Flag, Minor Threat and At The Drive-In. I know that is five, but whatever.

What do you do to fill your spare time?

- Generally, I am either getting tattooed or mixing records. At the moment I am working three jobs, so there is little spare time.

Any nation wide tour plans in the future?

- No full US tour until we complete our full length..Which most likely will not happen until Fall.

Any CD release information you could share with us?

- We have a collection of all the EP material coming out on Building Records out of Australia. It is actually a strictly Australian release, however we will have some for sale here. We will have a song on a benefit compilation called "Protect" to help abused children. We will be releasing a split tour 7" with Canada's The Holy Shroud in April..some of which will be on picture disc, I think. Annnddddd we are working on our next LP which will hopefully be out this fall some time.
That's more than I realized.

How do you feel about the current music scene with bands like My Chemical Romance, Senses Fail, A Static Lullaby and The Used?

- We don't really think about it too much. These bands have all worked pretty hard to get to where they are and were in the right place at the right time. I don't really know anough about them to say anything more.

Why did Greg leave Interpol?

- He was just not having much fun in the band anymore.

Any funny stories from the road?

- Unfortunatley, no! We are all old men that go to bed early. There were a couple drunken nights along the way, but not nearly enough. Bring us booze and we will have more funny stories.

Alright, well before I go I would like to give you the oppurtunity to "speak your mind." So, say anything you feel like we should all know over at Absolute Punk:

- Thanks for your time and keep up the good work! If anyone has other or more specific questions they can E-Mail the band or myself (billy@level-plane.com) anytime!

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 25
10:28 AM on 02/24/05
cosmonaut
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
great interview i love hot cross bu dont group mcr with shit like senses fail and the used and come on static lullaby mcr is in a different league than those douches
10:38 AM on 02/24/05
projectmayhem16
keep cool, but care
User Info.
Originally Posted by cosmonaut
great interview i love hot cross bu dont group mcr with shit like senses fail and the used and come on static lullaby mcr is in a different league than those douches
if you're going to place blame then blame me, I asked the question, and in my eyes the differences between the bands are very subtle especially with mcr and the used.
10:52 AM on 02/24/05
Blueskyburning
done
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

Haha, MCR suck aswell.

Cool interview.
11:18 AM on 02/24/05
love is red
Been Here A While
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
don't group MCR with those bands, all of those bands play warped tour that I am sure is a grouping of bands that people will like that go see. So group away. I thought it was funny that he said absolutepunk wanted to know about saetia that's odd. considering people on this site said that Finch was the first band to scream.
11:23 AM on 02/24/05
projectmayhem16
keep cool, but care
User Info.
Originally Posted by love is red
don't group MCR with those bands, all of those bands play warped tour that I am sure is a grouping of bands that people will like that go see. So group away. I thought it was funny that he said absolutepunk wanted to know about saetia that's odd. considering people on this site said that Finch was the first band to scream.
there's a reason for your negative scene points. maybe you're fucking ignorant. :animateds
11:29 AM on 02/24/05
Pat Marquez
User Info.
Originally Posted by love is red

That was "some" people. Not everyone.
12:00 PM on 02/24/05
selftitled85
Aww Jeet Jeet motha fucka!
User Info.
i love how pat conducts a great interview...and everyone bitches and moans about mentioning mcr with senses fail and the used. who the fuck cares.

pat great interview.
12:02 PM on 02/24/05
Pat Marquez
User Info.
Originally Posted by selftitled85
i love how pat conducts a great interview...and everyone bitches and moans about mentioning mcr with senses fail and the used. who the fuck cares.

pat great interview.

Haha, thanks dude.

I love doing interviews. Especially with bands I love, I learn things too. Haha.
12:35 PM on 02/24/05
KarolaBloch
It Doesn't Matter
User Info.
yeah pat, your so lucky to be able to do that. great interview man, your my favorite staff member. hot cross owns too
02:59 PM on 02/24/05
Tony Pascarella
User
User Info.
Nice interview, Pat.

Ignore the ignorant fucks who wouldn't know music if it fell on them weighted by an elephant and a grand piano.
05:50 PM on 02/24/05
still_life
this is the moment
User Info.
"AP wants to know about Saetia? How odd."

He really meant to say, "How trendwhoreish of a site that didn't recognize that band a year ago".

And I really question the choices for legendary Level Plane bands.
08:00 PM on 02/24/05
Pat Marquez
User Info.
Originally Posted by still_life
"AP wants to know about Saetia? How odd."

He really meant to say, "How trendwhoreish of a site that didn't recognize that band a year ago".

And I really question the choices for legendary Level Plane bands.

Haha, you never fail to be an asshole. And you again make a incorrect assumption. I did know of this band a year ago, but I was only hired last month. You question everything, that's your nature. You can't back down out of your little shell and admit anything. You are so fucking pathetic it's funny. I loved watching you struggle to defend your Stealers as THEY WERE FUCKING SPANKED. Yet, you had some form of an excuse.

It's funny that you call us "trendwhoreish" yet you are here.

And another thing - I think it's funny how the fans of these bands are complete assholes. Yet, these guys are so damn nice. I don't get it man, what the fuck is your problem? Thank god for the internet because it has given the confidence lacking an extra inch to their dicks.
09:18 PM on 02/24/05
Rufio21
www.killthemotion.com
User Info.

don't group, MCR is in the same league? come on, its all the same...

Nice interview Pat

..listen to Joshua Fit for battle,
10:09 PM on 02/24/05
yoursuicide
rocks girls pants.
User Info.
dear pat,

i thought you were a dickhead when you were thebled(insert some number and maybe an underscore). but the more i read your things as a staff member the more i think you rock. keep up the good work.

love,
nick

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests